Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SCRATCHHEADS: Which technique are you currently working on?!

SCRATCHHEADS: Which technique are you currently working on?!

Currently working on two click flares the most
    After that i'm going to start working on my transforming and crabs
    Big ups to DJ angelo for teaching me the ways of scratch!
    His youtube videos are nice

Not really a scratch head, still a n00b at it honestly. But I'm trying to work on 1 click flare/orbits. I can do them at a slower tempo but when I try to get them up to speed, it goes to crap and I'm not sure exactly if my fader hand is moving too slowly or if my record hand is going too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by ccabungcal View Post
    Currently working on two click flares the most
    After that i'm going to start working on my transforming and crabs
    Big ups to DJ angelo for teaching me the ways of scratch!
    His youtube videos are nice
    that is backwards! Transforming came before flares and flares is nothing but variation of a transforming. Learn to transform first!! Transforming teaches you rhythm and fader control. A Flare is nothing but a delayed tranform.

Banned
    I would agree that transforming is something you should learn before flares. Crabs and 2-click orbits are those "flashy" type scratches that some people rush into learning, but I would save those until later.

I'm not working on any techniques. My scratching style is basically stuck in the 90s, but I'm happy to work with what I've got. I was never good enough to be up there with the best, no matter how much practice I put in, so my goal was to have some solid cuts under my belt that I could use for mixes/tracks and still be able to have some fun freestyling with others (although I don't do that these days).

When I was younger (I'm 42 now) I used to hear a new scratch technique and think "shit, I've gotta learn that!" and I'd be off to my decks to practice it relentlessly until I had it down, but now I just don't have that drive any more.

Sometimes I think I'm retarted for knowing all my scratch vocabulary. I basically just go on patterns and sound. I don't know maybe one day i'll learn all the vocab, but till then I'm just having fun and lots of it.

Banned
    Learning the vocab is helpful for sure, cos it makes it easier to communicate your ideas and what you're doing with other DJs on forums like this, but it's certainly not vital.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamza21 View Post
    that is backwards! Transforming came before flares and flares is nothing but variation of a transforming. Learn to transform first!! Transforming teaches you rhythm and fader control. A Flare is nothing but a delayed tranform.
    Lol. That's what i'm thinking too. Don't know why I learned the flare first, I'm good at flares and chirps but I'm terrible at transforming. I should probably work on that first before anything else. I've already got the two flare down but can't get it consistently.

Now I remember why I didn't transform first lol. My mixer started bleeding and crackling and it stopped me from getting a clean sound when transforming and it pissed me off haha. But now I have a ttm56 and am able to practice my transforms
    Last edited by ccabungcal; 02-11-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Just starting to get my flares down. About to start to work on my two clicks soon. That is if my crossfader doesn't crap out first. Smooth as butter but it's starting to bleed

chirp flare.... -__________-

the wikka wikka one...
    PROFESSIONAL UNEMPLOYED DJ
    ------------------------------------------------------
    PATREON