Thread: Want to submit a review for the reviews section?

Threaded View

Review on Chauvet Cubix 2.0

As part of my ramping up and replacing my old school lighting, I bought the
    Chauvet Circus and Chauvet Cubix 2.0.
    You can probably rent them at your LDJS but I was bad returning books to
    the library as a kid so I decided just to buy them.

Again, as many has mentioned, buying from an authorized dealer is your best bet,
    especially when it comes to LED lights. Its not your dad's dj lights, they have
    mini computer boards that control the programs and of course, you can count on
    LEDS as far as you can throw your mama.
    Replacing an old school 300w 65414 is cheap and easy but replacing a cluster
    pc board of LEDS is a cluster f and much more costly.

The Cubix 2.0:
    On magazines, websites,videos, etc. The Cubix 2.0 looks big, but its really petite like
    Michael Jackson. The Chauvet company likes to tout it as "2 light efx in one"
    And it really is. Sort of. I'd be pissed though if I bought each of the efx separtely.
    My lovely wife which can say things to make even the sunniest of days start raining
    asked me when I first got the light--when's the Cubix 3.0 coming out? That's like
    telling someone who just bought the iphone 5 that iphone 6 is coming next week.
    Anyways.

The 4 sides of the unit are 'derby' lenses which blink, strobe, change color and scan like a typical
    ADJ Dekker. Pretty boring but the advantage of having 4 sides---incredible coverage!
    Drawback: RED. Who the hell thought red was going to be a good color for derbying?
    Its like, hey man, did the light go out? Very dim.

The middle has a lens that shoots out a pretty bright moon flower which is not just your
    cheap average ADJ Jewel-looking effect. It has moving dots that do random patterns
    in square , line and criss cross patterns in a mini ADJ Revo 4 sort of way. Very cool so you
    know damn well the unit has a small computer board that controls the LEDS.

I keep it on AUTO. It has the regular ports on the rear panel so if you have time
    to screw around with DMX go ahead.

With or without fog, the Cubix 2.0 is an attention getter. I purchased this unit from
    Mike at B2lightingfx.com because I didn't want to pay local sales tax and he also shipped it free.
    Its a $179.99 (average) light and I store it in a Chauvet SP4 soft bag which barely fits but
    its too small for an Arriba AC125 bag.

I rate this light a 9.5 because it does dual duty and has a large spray of light. Again the red
    color for the derby section SUCKS!!! Thats why the 9.5 rating. If it was a light red or pink,
    the unit would have gotten a 10.
    Last edited by fatcatdj; 11-26-2012 at 07:47 PM.