Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADJ IKON--Your Thoughts Pleeeze

ADJ IKON--Your Thoughts Pleeeze

Preface:
    I really enjoy your input. AND NO I AM NOT LIKE MOST OF THESE tards that post a question
    regarding what gear they should purchase but have ALREADY made up their minds on which
    they are going to get. I hate those kinds of ppl. They are a waste. I am NOT.

So with that.

To you wedding/event people. I am looking to BUY a gobo projector. I watched several Youtube
    videos on Chauvet and ADJ. Mostly the cheaper 10-12w LED ones, Brian S Redd recommends the ADJ
    Gobo Projector 10w LED, now I think the new one is the Gobo Projector IR which is 12W. $159 MAP
    I don't know if the additional 2W output is that much of a diff because nobody has done a video comparison.

Then I watched baldy's video I think his name is DJ Mikie Mike and he steers toward the ADJ IKON
    which puts out a 60W LED. $449 MAP. I saw another guy's video and the diff is amazing on the brightness versus the 10w.

I've been renting a projector light and most times its an old ADJ with a 100w incandescent which is pretty bright
    but its like $200 plus a Gobo which brings the rental to $300 my price.

Which one do you have? And would the 10W one be good enough for weddings and events or just bite the big one and spend the $449 MAP price and not worry if any lights in the room would over take the spot? I'd like to use the projector light at
    all my events. Thank you fellow professionals.

edit: lots of typos here, blaming the wireless keyboard
    Last edited by fatcatdj; 06-03-2016 at 05:14 PM.
    .."You can NEVER go too far"---Ferris Bueller

Hello? anyone buy one of these ADJ Ikons? I'd just like to know how bright these things are and is it worth the $449 MSRP. Thanks

http://www.idjnow.com/adj-ikon-ir-go...FdgRgQod32UGfA

Don't waste your money on the 10w fixture. I e never used one but 10w isn't much power at all. For my weddings i use my Intimidator spot 350s and replace a hobo and it works well and that's a 75 watt fixture. At times (depending on where you shine it) I still wish it was a tad brighter.
    For what you want I say minimum should be the 60 watt. Now with that said I have a buddy who has one and he was just so so with it. Given a choice he'd rather use my spots. Can you find a used Martin PR1 anywhere ou can buy? It's heavy but does a great job.

Here's a thought . . . Skip a one use unit and go with a video projector.

You can create your own images.

Color is not a problem.

Never pay for another gobo.

Animation, no problem.

Substantially brighter.

Slide shows? Sure.

Show live video? No problem.

You can scale the image to fit the situation.

Cost is about a grand but you get so much more and not buying custom gobos will quickly start saving you money.
    BillESC
    Lighting, Sound & Video since 1973
    804-435-6858 [email][bill@entsyscorp.com]

Thanks great responses. I like the video projector advice but is it going to stay on throughout a 5 hour wedding reception or heat up and quit?
    I had a good feeling about that $159 ADJ Gobo 10w projector being weak. Thanks all!

I have 60w LED moving heads which do a pretty good job but they're right at the lower limit of acceptable in larger rooms IMO so I don't see a 10w gobo projector being of much use especially if you throw more complex gobos in it or worse yet dark colors. Now if you were using 6-12 of the 10w units to throw patterns on a ceiling sure..but then again you could probably do the same job with 4 more powerful units so I don't know if you would save any $$.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

I've run my projector 15 hours straight without issue.
    BillESC
    Lighting, Sound & Video since 1973
    804-435-6858 [email][bill@entsyscorp.com]

Thanks Bill, but I don't want to burn out the lamp inside the projector, good idea though! The lamps are $50 each its a Sony with 7000 Lumens, the FX500. Id rather have the Laser version but mucho $$$$
    Last edited by fatcatdj; 06-12-2016 at 07:39 PM.

YES Bill is right you have to get your head out of old school and into new school Iam still half way through this transition. SAD but its true when you get some good templates on the hop and get your head around the way to make it work its the best on projector.
    BUT IAM Still as old school and like the traditional way. I have a Martin IMAGESCAN its a beast easy to make your own gobos with vinyl cutter it looks great a pain to program so I just have it set to one situation with a general focus and its amazing.

The ADJ Gobo projector is good but when you get some GOBOs cut from say GOMOBAN even getting them to use a font that allows a lot of light to pass through it still can get washed out in a well lit environment. I have not had a chance to play with a Mover that I can drop a custom gobo in but seems like a good way two birds one stone. BUT COST gets up there.

Yes Iam investing more time onto the projector way at the moment.
    The Ikon as mentioned a great light but the $$$ you can put it toward a good projector or perhaps a Gobo projector that will offer more light output remember you are generally cutting 40% of the light out to create the effect and you really want a serious KAPOW of light.
    OP
    Last edited by wapples; 06-13-2016 at 12:09 AM. Reason: OOPSEE DAISY

Quote Originally Posted by wapples View Post
    YES Bill is right you have to get your head out of old school and into new school Iam still half way through this transition. SAD but its true when you get some good templates on the hop and get your head around the way to make it work its the best on projector.
    BUT IAM Still as old school and like the traditional way. I have a Martin IMAGESCAN its a beast easy to make your own gobos with vinyl cutter it looks great a pain to program so I just have it set to one situation with a general focus and its amazing.

The ADJ Gobo projector is good but when you get some GOBOs cut from say GOMOBAN even getting them to use a font that allows a lot of light to pass through it still can get washed out in a well lit environment. I have not had a chance to play with a Mover that I can drop a custom gobo in but seems like a good way two birds one stone. BUT COST gets up there.

Yes Iam investing more time onto the projector way at the moment.
    The Ikon as mentioned a great light but the $$$ you can put it toward a good projector or perhaps a Gobo projector that will offer more light output remember you are generally cutting 40% of the light out to create the effect and you really want a serious KAPOW of light.
    OP
    Thanks, you are right. You are cutting a lot of light just to project the gobo. I purchased the IKON from Amazon, it was a demo one so I got $100 bucks off. It should be coming tomorrow. I read the reviews and You Tube videos, didn't want to get an old school used Martin (hate the candes. bulbs) and the 10W ADJ Gobo Projector was too weak. My projector cost $3200 and I don't care to use it as a all night long gobo projector, unless the world is ending soon. Which by the Orlando club shooting may be. Thanks for all opinions