Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to submit a review for the reviews section?

Want to submit a review for the reviews section?

How can you help djf by submitting a review?

Its simple, post the review and past the link in this thread

Chauvet Intimidator Spot LED 250 Review

Chauvet Intimidator Spot LED 250 Moving Head light video review.

This is the Mobile Entertainers dream moving head. Nice and bright, loaded with features, compact, and best of all affordable.

Last edited by SummitAudioDJ; 04-01-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Thanks for creating and sharing this great review.

Review on Chauvet Circus

As part of my ramping up and replacing my old school lighting, I bought the
    Chauvet Circus and Chauvet Cubix 2.0.
    You can probably rent them at your LDJS but I was bad returning books to
    the library as a kid so I decided just to buy them.

Again, as many has mentioned, buying from an authorized dealer is your best bet,
    especially when it comes to LED lights. Its not your dad's dj lights, they have
    mini computer boards that control the programs and of course, you can count on
    LEDS as far as you can throw your mama.
    Replacing an old school 300w 65414 is cheap and easy but replacing a cluster
    pc board of LEDS is a cluster f and much more costly.

The Chauvet Circus: Looks like the ADJ Fun Factory but without the mini strobe clusters.
    My local dj shop had the Fun Factory on display and the strobe feature really didn't
    blow my skirt up, but the 5 lens projector was amusing. It projects the typical moonflower
    effect to the music. Not bad. However...
    I ended up buying the Circus from old man Mike at B2 lighting Fx.com in Podunk, Missouri
    (just kidding about the old man part) after watching one of his video pitches.

Anyways he touted the Circus as a "wow" light and I called him to compare the Fun Factory
    to the Circus so he and his employee did just that, put me on hold for a few minutes and both agreed the Circus was better.
    He was right. The Chauvet's 5 lenses go bizerk on sound active and unbelievably accurately change
    patterns to the beat of the music.

The best program though is to turn off sound active and put it on AUTO, then the lights goes bizerk, going over the many different patterns on its own, you will have to stand in front of it
    for a very long time to see it repeat. I tried to, but its a waste of time and stupid too.

The pattern is very wide. You really only need one of these unless you're doing an outdoor rave.
    It has plenty of coverage for a wedding or hotel dance floor event with the exception of a large 500 person prom.
    You also need a little fog to really get the effect's personality.

It has the usual suspects on the rear panel which I refuse to mention as everyone who does a review on ANY light
    on YouTube goes over. ZZZZZZZzzz. I don't use DMX as a single operator and frankly don't have time to
    program anything short of my lawn sprinklers and clock radio.

Point the unit straight forward-ish not too much on the dance floor as you'll lose the moonflower fx. Its a real
    fun effect to look at as it goes bizerk. Turn it off on slow songs and turn on some wash lights or point a flashlight
    on the dance floor. The Circus is way too crazy for a slow song. Of course children love it. Try not to f up
    your light show by having 2 or more different other lights going at the same time or else the Circus will be just
    another moonflower that gets lost in the crowd. And your $199.99 (average) would have gone to waste.

I give the Chauvet Circus a 9, its a great light that has red, amber, blue, green and white moonflowers and
    covers a big area. Its extremely portable, I use a Arriba AC125 soft case (not included) to transport it.
    Highly recommend for your arsenal.
    Last edited by fatcatdj; 11-13-2012 at 09:54 PM.

Review on Chauvet Cubix 2.0

As part of my ramping up and replacing my old school lighting, I bought the
    Chauvet Circus and Chauvet Cubix 2.0.
    You can probably rent them at your LDJS but I was bad returning books to
    the library as a kid so I decided just to buy them.

Again, as many has mentioned, buying from an authorized dealer is your best bet,
    especially when it comes to LED lights. Its not your dad's dj lights, they have
    mini computer boards that control the programs and of course, you can count on
    LEDS as far as you can throw your mama.
    Replacing an old school 300w 65414 is cheap and easy but replacing a cluster
    pc board of LEDS is a cluster f and much more costly.

The Cubix 2.0:
    On magazines, websites,videos, etc. The Cubix 2.0 looks big, but its really petite like
    Michael Jackson. The Chauvet company likes to tout it as "2 light efx in one"
    And it really is. Sort of. I'd be pissed though if I bought each of the efx separtely.
    My lovely wife which can say things to make even the sunniest of days start raining
    asked me when I first got the light--when's the Cubix 3.0 coming out? That's like
    telling someone who just bought the iphone 5 that iphone 6 is coming next week.
    Anyways.

The 4 sides of the unit are 'derby' lenses which blink, strobe, change color and scan like a typical
    ADJ Dekker. Pretty boring but the advantage of having 4 sides---incredible coverage!
    Drawback: RED. Who the hell thought red was going to be a good color for derbying?
    Its like, hey man, did the light go out? Very dim.

The middle has a lens that shoots out a pretty bright moon flower which is not just your
    cheap average ADJ Jewel-looking effect. It has moving dots that do random patterns
    in square , line and criss cross patterns in a mini ADJ Revo 4 sort of way. Very cool so you
    know damn well the unit has a small computer board that controls the LEDS.

I keep it on AUTO. It has the regular ports on the rear panel so if you have time
    to screw around with DMX go ahead.

With or without fog, the Cubix 2.0 is an attention getter. I purchased this unit from
    Mike at B2lightingfx.com because I didn't want to pay local sales tax and he also shipped it free.
    Its a $179.99 (average) light and I store it in a Chauvet SP4 soft bag which barely fits but
    its too small for an Arriba AC125 bag.

I rate this light a 9.5 because it does dual duty and has a large spray of light. Again the red
    color for the derby section SUCKS!!! Thats why the 9.5 rating. If it was a light red or pink,
    the unit would have gotten a 10.
    Last edited by fatcatdj; 11-26-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Eliminator Electro Ray.
    When you think Eliminator, eww usually is thought. But now that everything is made in China, the lighting
    wars are at a even keel. The Electro Ray is a large lens derby that emits an usually wide swath of light rays
    in blue, red, green. I have it in on TEST mode, sound adctive off and it goes through all of its many patterns.

Sound active is a good mode, though not as active as TEST. The rear panel has the usual suspects. The unit
    gets a one year warranty. Cost is between $149-$169 (average price)

What I like about the Electro Ray is not the name, its pretty lame but better than some stupid letters and numbers.
    Whats cool is the large swath of colors, strobe effect and scan. Its not going to amaze you, the dj, but patrons
    dancing will love looking at the light. Its not a moonflower, so its easy on the eyes.

I give the Electro Ray a good 8, for its price point also for what it does. Not a "wow" light but a fixture that can be
    used to cover a lot of area for cheap. I purchased it at my local shop, International Dj & Lights in downtown Los Angeles
    on 6th and Broadway. Since I bought a coffin from him that day he cut a deal on the light. I transport this light in an Arriba AC125 bag.
    Last edited by fatcatdj; 11-13-2012 at 10:07 PM.

The American DJ Revo Rave

Do you like moonflowers that rotate via a belt driven stepper motor? Then this light is for you. Actually it is a
    decent light fixture. Not a large as its daddy, the Revo 4 or 3, the Revo Rave is also $100 less. $149-$179 (average)
    I purchased one from Canal Hi-Fi in NYC. Hey guys hope Sandra did mess you up too bad. Great guys there.
    Point this unit straight ahead on the dance floor with 3-5% slant down and you have patrons loving the effect in their faces
    with of course, fog.

Its a great stand alone fixture, meaning having it mounted on a speaker tripod (with the Colorado Light and Sound) adapter
    that enables you to mount the bracket on top of the speaker tripod pole. Lift the pole so the fixture is about 7 feet up and
    you've got a party.

The menu on the unit sucks though, unless you have it DMX or baby sitting the UCS controller, the light is clueless. But this is
    Ernie so I will tell you what to do. Throw it away (just kidding). Keep it on sound active, and scroll the menu to 00 on the
    show menu. It will rifle through its various shows when music is being played and will calm down when there is none or when
    you're playing a slow song. Wonderful!

You can keep this light on all night during your sets. Forget DMX, you don't have time for that unless you're the lighting person.
    I really like how it calms down so you don't have to turn it off, like some other lights which go bizerk at all times.

Highly recommend buying two because the coverage is akin to a tiny bikini (like the ones I wear to bed) the coverage is
    half ass, so to full ass a decent sized dancefloor setting, two is good.

I rate this light a 9. If the housing were as large as a Revo 4, it would get a 10. I transport it in a Chauvet SP4 soft bag.
    Last edited by fatcatdj; 11-13-2012 at 10:07 PM.

VenueMagic AV DMX512 lighting software.

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...w-Venumagic-AV