Thread: Used Speakers

Used Speakers

Would you trust buying used speakers from a reputable company?

Yes........ after checking them out just like anything else
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

I have done so already in the past with no issues just by doing due diligence before hand.
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    by doing due diligence before hand.
    ... like verifying that OEM drivers are still in the cabinet. Any "upgraded drivers" should be a red flag that the previous owner blew the driver more than once so finally bought a replacement that had a higher power handling, ie: he abused the f*kc out of them.

I have bought lots of used speakers, nothing wrong with doing so as long as you know what you're getting into. Passive speakers are generally less risk than powered simply because replacement drivers and recones are relatively inexpensive while amp modules can get pricey, but those aren't common failures with better quality speakers so if it works now it'll probably continue to work if they aren't abused. Wooden enclosures can be refinished and look like new while plastic enclosures are harder to clean up, and any speaker will have it's highest resale value with original components so it is even possible to flip speakers and make some money but that generally applies to higher end models only and you have to know what you're doing to pull that off.. knowledgable buyers can spot shortcuts and shoddy workmanship pretty quickly.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by Carloscda View Post
    Would you trust buying used speakers from a reputable company?
    I personally think Guitar Center is a good place for that. When I buy a used item from them I'll have it shipped to my local outlet. That way I can inspect & test the item before I accept the item.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

I have done so in the past and not had any issues. I usually go to Guitar Center or Sam Ash and check to see what kind of used gear they have. If I like something I listen to it first. As stated above do your due diligence - research the speaker model, inspect it, and listen to it to make sure all is well.

All my PA speakers were purchased used.. and pretty much all of them have worked out fine.
    But yea you have to check them carefully.. and as said never buy speakers that have been "upgraded". And when you ask, just ask.. never make it sound as if you don't want upgrades because then they might not tell ya...

But also.. what speakers you are buying makes a difference. If you are buying a pro model then chances are that the person who owned them valued them and took care of them. If you are buying more of a DJ model then I would be more cautious.

The only major problem I ever had with used speakers was, I bought a pair of EAW speakers from a church.. they needed repair and some parts were missing so the price was low. I did the math and figured that when I added the cost of getting them back to full function, it was still a great deal, and surely I could trust a church.. so I bought them. Turns out that not only was there more bad drivers than they had said, but that actually the original, expensive crossovers had been bypassed, wires cut all over the place, and some cheap-ass crossovers put in place. Unreal. Anyway, it turns out that the original crossovers were fine.. I had to spend a couple hundred more on drivers and rewire them.. so in the end they were not as outstanding a deal as I thought they would be. But in the end they still came out at a reasonabl e price for that model.. and of course with all the new drivers in there...

So yea, of course, speakers being mechanical devices, they do age and eventually wear out.. but if they are well cared for, that takes a long time... so at the right price, used speakers can be a great deal.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 05-06-2016 at 05:49 PM.