Thread: DJF Family educate me Elation Design Spot 250 or Chauvet Q-spot 260?

Question DJF Family educate me Elation Design Spot 250 or Chauvet Q-spot 260?

I am in market for Moving heads and wanted to know which one to get. I am not looking from the point of view of money (but again money is important at the end as well). I want to know if anyone here uses Elation Design spot 250 here.

I know Chauvet Q-spot 260 is widely used moving head intelligent light. I would really appreciate if you guys can give me your input.

TIA

DJ Scotch

Nick from Event Pro Live had some bad experiences with Elation. 4/5 units were malfunctioning or DoA, so that speaks volumes about their quality control.

The Q-Spot 260 is a great fixture, very popular and widely used. However, it still is about 4 years old, and is using technology and optics from, well, four years ago.

If your going with the Q-Spot, wait until the Q-Spot 360 or 460 come out. Otherwise you will regret it later on.

Another option if you don't have a budget, is the upcoming Blizzard Torrent F5. Although they are more than double the price of the Q-Spots
    - Synaxis || DJ Archer

"Common sense is not quite so common..." -Voltaire

We used to run the Design spots exclusively (and never had any issues with them), but have recently switched to the Chauvet Intimidator 350's. Even though it seems like a downgrade, I'd say go for the Chauvets if you're doing this from a mobile DJ standpoint. They're cheaper, lighter, and just as bright as the Elations. The extra features on the Design Spots are nice, but not really necessary. I wish the Chauvets were physically larger (i.e. more impressive looking) but the ability to have LED two fixtures for the price of one Discharge Elation makes up for it.
    Last edited by sss18734; 07-22-2012 at 08:37 PM.

I had a terrible time with the 5R line from Elation. The DS250 is a workhorse- has been for years. I wouldn't anticipate major issues with them. That said, its an old fixture. It really depends on what you need, and the design spot is still going to cost you a decent chunk of change. I think there's better options out there. The chauvet unit is probably one, the torrent 90 might be another consideration, or if you've got the cash look at the new F5.
    Nick Pignetti
    EVENT PRODUCTION: web | e-mail
    EQUIPMENT SALES: edjstore e-mail

I've got four design spots if your interested Scotch. All have under 400 hours on them, omega clamps, safety cables, original boxes.

Thank you for he info guys, I believe I will skip Design 250 and wait for Q-spot 360.

Careful with the information you recieve.

First off, I wouldnt put the 5R and the QSpot in the same category. The 5R is double the price and quite a bit brighter.

Secondly, the newer QSpot line that you are now waiting for uses multiple LED bulbs to equal the same amount of wattage. This leaves you a slightly more reliable fixture that is less bright. Presumable more expensive because its new, less features, brightness TBD.
    Brett Messer
    Messer Entertainment Group, LLC
    Twitter: @MEGA_Events | Facebook