Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upfader vs. Rotary's

They're also prettier.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc S View Post
    lmao. half this website could be lazy-o's dad

oh my fiving five. :drool:

Quote Originally Posted by imallama View Post
    I wonder...has anybody ever tried to scratch using rotary faders? Lol. I can't imagine that'd work out well...but then again it makes sense because rotary faders are meant to be used for an entirely different type of music where scratching isn't a common thing to do.
    You know that you scratch with a crossfader, not the upfaders, right?

Actually you can scratch with upfaders
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc S View Post
    lmao. half this website could be lazy-o's dad

It's necessary for some techniques. Just like transform switches, which is something that was lost when SSL came about (if you also plan on using vinyl).

For everyone that seems to be puzzled by the fact that i said faders can be just as smooth as rotaries, do you know that you dont have to use the faders as an on off switch? You can move them at whatever speed you want. but rather than focusing on what speed you are moving the fader at or turning the knob at, you should be listening to the sound and base your actions off of that.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    It's necessary for some techniques. Just like transform switches, which is something that was lost when SSL came about (if you also plan on using vinyl).
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomcie View Post
    Actually you can scratch with upfaders
    I mean obviously, but what, 99.5% of scratching is done with the crossfader.

Quote Originally Posted by dj daywalker View Post
    For everyone that seems to be puzzled by the fact that i said faders can be just as smooth as rotaries, do you know that you dont have to use the faders as an on off switch? You can move them at whatever speed you want. but rather than focusing on what speed you are moving the fader at or turning the knob at, you should be listening to the sound and base your actions off of that.
    Agreed. But assuming that the fader is "numbered" 1-10, on a lot of mixers 1-6 do almost nothing, 7-8 or 9 fade in most of the sound and 9-10 is also basically useless…then your 60mm (or so) fader just became a 12-ish mm fader that's really steep…and in the case of analog, pretty unpredictable.

There definitely are some that have the right curve, but most of them tend to be really light so that getting anything usable out of it involves somehow slowing it down (by how you put your finger on it).

Or you can just have rotaries that have a better curve and are tighter.

i also prefer rotary 100%, I just recently purchased the Pioneer DJM900 after using rotary for the last 20 years and I hated the upfaders, I feel the rotary is so much more smooth, the faders feel like even a slight movement makes to big of an adjustment, Anyway, My DJM900 is now converted to rotary thanks to a little rewiring and cutting