Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I At Fault Here? :S

Another great reason to have Liability Insurance!
    DJMC is a Northern CA DJ who provides non-cheesy emcees/DJs for Sacramento weddings

You had no agreement with the hall, it was with the promoter, therefore, she can't do anything to you, you were a sub-contractor of the promoter (i.e. the general contractor in this case). If the hall has a problem they need to take it up with the promoter who signed the contract, it is their only recourse available to them. I would stand firm on the fact that your speakers did not cause this damage. As has been stated, no reasonable installed lights are going to fall from bass. You can point to your previous engagements as an example of how your equipment does not damage lighting.

End of the day, the owner is just pissed her stuff is broken and you were the only outside vendor there to go off on. I would simply tell her your stance and tell her if she is adamant that you owe the damages she can use the court system to support her claim. You may need to hire a lawyer at that point down the road, but I doubt any lawyer would let her go after you since there is no contract in place.

Thanks a bunch guys

I have called the manager of the hall and gave her the promoters contact details and kindly explained that this is between him and her to dispute as they had the contract with one another and i was just staff on his part. She was very nice about everything and apologized for flipping her lid on me and agreed that this should be between the pair of them and apologized for dragging me into it.

As mentioned above it was probably just me being the only one there for her to vent to. Stuff happens no point in letting it get to you As asked above about me being insured. I am not insured as i am mainly a club DJ (that's how i got involved with this guy) and not sure about the stated but in Canada no insure is necessary for working in a club, i very rarely do any mobile style work aside from house partys and the odd hall jam like this one and the odd prom/homecoming. It wouldn't hurt to be insured but i just don't do enough mobile work for it to be worth it, id just be loosing money and im not to interested in doing to much mobile work.

Once again, thanks a bunch guys Appreciate the input +reps

Glad it got worked out civil like... best wishes
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php