Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USB audio interface for recording via a laptop?

My desktop PC's are long gone, and I don't remember exact model. My Last two laptops that had it were an Asus K60IJ-Rbbbr05 and a HP 8560p. No that picture is NOT what I am talking about. Its under the control panel/manage sound devices/recording....should have an option for Line in or line in stereo mix or some ish like that. Again this isn't anything new, people have been recording this way for a long time..welcome to the party.
    Last edited by B3NNY; 02-10-2012 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by l0ckd0wn View Post
    9/10 PCs are mic only. Apple based PCs have the ability to switch, but that's a pretty exclusive feature.
    Nope.

Apple laptops only have line inputs. They have actual microphones, but that's different.

And I did my time on PCs. Every single one of them had a line input. It was labeled "mic", but you could turn off the preamp in software.

Maybe things have changed. I haven't even pretended to consider doing audio work with a PC since 2006. But I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanHadgis View Post
    Well, if you can't tell the difference between a cheap mic input on a laptop vs. a dedicated audio interface, I guess it's fine for you then
    You don't know what you're talking about. You shouldn't comment if you've never done it before, or listened to a mix knowing that its been recorded in this way.

I'd never put out a mix for sale recorded with a normal line in on a laptop, but...it's not a huge deal.

Other than low latency performance, the difference between a cheap interface and a good one is pretty subtle. A LOT of people can hear it. I can. But if you're on a budget, it's the last thing you should be worrying about. Set your levels correctly and it won't be the thing holding you back.

Now, that doesn't mean that you should want to record like that. There are significant differences. But it's not like that is going to be the difference between a good mix tape and a bad one.

Quote Originally Posted by B3NNY View Post
    My desktop PC's are long gone, and I don't remember exact model. My Last two laptops that had it were an Asus K60IJ-Rbbbr05 and a HP 8560p. No that picture is NOT what I am talking about. Its under the control panel/manage sound devices/recording....should have an option for Line in or line in stereo mix or some ish like that. Again this isn't anything new, people have been recording this way for a long time..welcome to the party.
    Yeah I work with computers for a living and still don't know what you are talking about then. So please post a screen shot and stop acting like this is common knowledge, there is multiple people requesting this information.

alt+PrtScn to take a window shot.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell | "Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Yeah I work with computers for a living and still don't know what you are talking about then. So please post a screen shot and stop acting like this is common knowledge, there is multiple people requesting this information.

alt+PrtScn to take a window shot.
    wow you're stubborn. Just give it up. I'm sorry that you didn't know it exists. Why don't you search the internet and do some research bout it, instead of mucking up this poor guys thread w/ nonsense posts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't know about recording, but I know for output the difference between using the headphone 1/8" output and using a AVID mobilepre audio interface was staggering. I mainly got it originally to avoid the problem of static when bumping the connection - on my thinkpad the connection is front and middle and easily bumped. But after getting the mobilepre, I'll never use the 1/8 connections again. From my understanding, one of the limiting factors is simply the amount of surface area available for the analog connection -- that, and most internal soundcards on laptops aren't so great. Of course that isn't the case on all laptops.

To the OP I would say the above advice is good. Just look for features you think you might want to use in the future so you don't outgrow the interface. Also consider something like some of the smaller Yamaha MG line mixer or Allen & Heath ZED mixers with USB recording (like the ZED 10 FX) for really good sounds in which case you have a lot of options for input. I know the price is higher, but you might find the extra features and other uses, useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

I can't imagine recording through a mixer like that. Seems back asswards.

Also, don't buy M-Audio (which the mobilepre is…they're apparently starting to roll out the m-audio line). I've never had an m-audio product function 100%. They're almost to the level of Behringer with me. Them and Tascam. So many headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by B3NNY View Post
    wow you're stubborn. Just give it up. I'm sorry that you didn't know it exists. Why don't you search the internet and do some research bout it, instead of mucking up this poor guys thread w/ nonsense posts.
    Well I'm stubborn because you didn't provide the OP with a solution, this just works for you because this is what your sound card is capable of. All you posted is your sound devices, and I see you have 2 separate devices and one is not active - I'm guessing that the port can be configured. News flash: This is the sound device on your computer and not every sound card on every laptop has that option. So really, I'm just trying to make sure that I understand what you are saying and make it clear that other's may not be able to do that. My i5 Lenovo does not and it's within a year old.

As of the OP, Sigma, I'd just get an inexpensive USB card for ~30. Lots of options and the recordings will come out better.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell | "Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Well I'm stubborn because you didn't provide the OP with a solution, this just works for you

Last edited by B3NNY; 02-12-2012 at 11:07 AM.