Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual 15 Cabs JRX MRX SRX Wireless MICs Amps Maximiser SIMPLE REVIEW = Honest opinion

Dual 15 Cabs JRX MRX SRX Wireless MICs Amps Maximiser SIMPLE REVIEW = Honest opinion

Hi thanks for taking the time.

YES IAM A NOOB ON HERE & yes crucify me now for asking something that everyone will tell me is in a previous forum.

Long story medium length. We have finally decided to start DJing ourselves based on the demand. My wife & i have always played around on small scale stuff but we are dealing with some events which are getting bigger. SO Its time for some bigger sound. NOT HUGE arrays massive budgets etc something that is still manageable for one person and a van.

Speakers. I personally like the simplicity, build and sound of Dual 15 cabinets. They sit on the floor and just look the complete biz. A nice amp rack on wheels and the coffin can just sit on top. NICE! So here we go. I narrowed it down to JBL & B-52 based on various reasons, but JBL really do seem to be the ones for the job. They are built for going job to job and always deliver some sound. For where we are parts if ever needed seem readily available..
    SO originally the budget only stretched to some JRX125 $1000 each delivered to where we are
    MMM But the reviews had convinced me the MRX525 $1900 Each delivered to where we are
    were the way to go however I have recently found out that for about $5000 PLUS delivery I can have a PAIR Of SRX725

WOW what a bargain. First i don’t want EON or PRX, I like to have my own AMP not something built in the speaker. I also see there are some new STX? Seriously what do you all think

So we really only cover UP TO 1000 PEOPLE MAX at a job but they will be carted around every weekend. Want some decent sound without having to buy an 18" sub although would be quite prepared to where necessary. so please tell me what would be the best bet. Music played is anything from Hard house through to country through to rock. WEDDING GIGS! But just in case some wedding crashers double the numbers I want a system that could cater to some higher amount of people without breaking a sweat

So from that i need an AMP/s to drive whichever it is you think I should go with. CROWN Hands down since its what we use and is bang for bucks but which one HOW MUCH Power is enough and I see they all have electronic displays which as I understand I can program crossovers and even enable the maximiser on the amp ? TRUE/ FALSE? The less gear I need to carry the better

Wireless Microphones. Shure is what I would like but need rackmount kit. Most are half rack so where can I get brackets to complete the rig in the cabinet. Maybe looking to run TWO so as a result that could work the best. It needs to sound good but only for speeches no singing etc. It has to be clear and simple. I have some old VHF and they are troublesome and the mics are just ordinary you cant just speak around it rather down & into it VERY CLOSE.

WEIGHT> If these SRX are really the way to go I will spend the cash but I still need to be able to get in and out of my van. Should I screw castors to the bottom of them or is that sac-relig and affect my acoustics etc?

I know that was a bit to read but I really do want to make the informed decision on this one its something I want to serve us for quite some time. The decks and mixer are all the latest and greats with all the usual high end connections but really would love some guidance on this one from others around the world who have had a jolly good play.

I have trawled the net on reviews but find not much on dual 15 cabs so hoping someone that has played or sells them all can give me an honest opinion?

J

JRX - shit
    MRX525 - better ways to spend your money
    PRX625 - Issues with amp modules overheating
    SRX725 - good cab but again better ways to spend your money.

No way in hell can you run 1000 people with a pair of dual 15's and no sub and expect a decent sound. What's your actual budget because i'm seeing all sorts of numbers. You said 1000 people correct for weddings?

15's and dual 15's in general are beginning to disappear from use in top cabs throughout the industry in favor of 12's over subs. Bill along with others here will no doubt be able to give you the technical and engineering downfalls to dual 15's - the biggest one i've found, the weight of them.
    Last edited by windspeed36; 07-07-2012 at 07:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Rees
    Don't worry about it. Set them up, turn them on, listen to them, adjust if needed. No matter what you do, they're still going to sound like Eons

Honest opinion? I won't sugar coat anything, then. Here goes:

I narrowed it down to JBL & B-52 based on various reasons, but JBL really do seem to be the ones for the job
    Why have you narrowed it down to these two brands? What are the various reasons? Is it because Guitar Center sells both these brands?

I see nothing special in any loudspeaker B-52 makes. They're heavy, ugly, and have resoundingly mediocre performance. They make nothing that can compete with the upper lines (like SRX) from the major manufacturers. While a B-52 system may be OK for someone entering the business on a budget, they're far from professional products.

There are other companies that make professional loudspeakers besides JBL as well: I would investigate Electro-Voice, Yorkville, RCF, Community, Renkus-Heinz, and others.

Speakers. I personally like the simplicity, build and sound of Dual 15 cabinets. They sit on the floor and just look the complete biz.
    There is no advantage to a dual 15 over a dual 12. Compare the spec sheets of the JBL SRX722 and SRX725. Yes, you'll get a bit more low frequency extension with the 725, but if you need that, you should have a subwoofer. They offer basically no advantage in total output, and a dual 15 will sound much muddier in the mid range than a dual 12. The 725 is also 30lbs heavier than the 722.

Your loudspeakers should never be on the floor. That would put the horn right about crotch level. Do people have ears down there? Ear level would be OK, but loudspeakers work best when they're above the audience. That way, you can achieve a more even sound from front to back. You don't blast the people in front and it'll still be loud in the back.

SO originally the budget only stretched to some JRX125 $1000 each delivered to where we are
    MMM But the reviews had convinced me the MRX525 $1900 Each delivered to where we are
    were the way to go however I have recently found out that for about $5000 PLUS delivery I can have a PAIR Of SRX725
    Your location says earth. Where on earth are you that you're getting quoted these prices? I assume you're not in the US because those prices are ridiculously high. Call around to your local JBL dealers (not music stores, look for professional sound contractors) and get some more quotes.

First i don’t want EON or PRX, I like to have my own AMP not something built in the speaker.
    I don't agree with that opinion, but I know many that hold it. It's not totally unreasonable, but you should know that loudspeakers with built in amplifiers have many advantages to beginners in the industry. I personally own both types.

I also see there are some new STX? Seriously what do you all thinkp
    The STX series should have a similar performance to the SRX but is much heavier. It exists because China decided to raise the price of Neodymium, which is a material used to make much lighter magnets. SRX has neo magnets, STX has traditional ceramic.

So we really only cover UP TO 1000 PEOPLE MAX at a job but they will be carted around every weekend. Want some decent sound without having to buy an 18" sub although would be quite prepared to where necessary. so please tell me what would be the best bet. Music played is anything from Hard house through to country through to rock. WEDDING GIGS! But just in case some wedding crashers double the numbers I want a system that could cater to some higher amount of people without breaking a sweat
    The hard truth is that you won't be able to do 1000 people with any of the systems you mentioned, even if you use an 18 inch sub. You would need one of the "giant arrays" you mentioned earlier to do that large of an event. I recommend that you get a pair of dual 12's like the SRX722 or Electro-Voice QRX212 and add a subwoofer for your larger events. Hire a professional sound production company to bring in a system for your largest events (1000 people deals).

So from that i need an AMP/s to drive whichever it is you think I should go with. CROWN Hands down since its what we use and is bang for bucks but which one HOW MUCH Power is enough and I see they all have electronic displays which as I understand I can program crossovers and even enable the maximiser on the amp ? TRUE/ FALSE? The less gear I need to carry the better
    Crown makes good gear, but it's an 1980's mentality to think that they're the only ones out there. QSC and others make excellent amplifiers as well.

Yes, Crown makes many amplifiers that have built in digital signal processors. I think that you should be looking at the Crown XTi or iTech series if you settle to go JBL - they will contain manufacturer presets for crossover and EQ for JBL loudspeakers. You don't need a maximizer.

Wireless Microphones. Shure is what I would like but need rackmount kit. Most are half rack so where can I get brackets to complete the rig in the cabinet. Maybe looking to run TWO so as a result that could work the best. It needs to sound good but only for speeches no singing etc. It has to be clear and simple. I have some old VHF and they are troublesome and the mics are just ordinary you cant just speak around it rather down & into it VERY CLOSE.
    Talk to your Shure dealer - there's a rackmount kit for the half rack mics for about $20. I would recommend the ULXs series from Shure, but if that's too pricey try the SLX series. Just make sure to get a mic that has legal frequencies for your country. Shure's website should give you that information.

WEIGHT> If these SRX are really the way to go I will spend the cash but I still need to be able to get in and out of my van. Should I screw castors to the bottom of them or is that sac-relig and affect my acoustics etc?
    Built caster plates and strap them to your loudspeakers with ratchet straps instead of putting casters on the loudspeaker itself. That way, you lift the loudspeaker onto the plate, wheel it to where you want it, and lift it off the plate.

---

I hope that helps and isn't too harsh. I'm a bit afraid you're in it a bit over your head. This book might help you better understand sound systems: http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reinforc...+Reinforcement

To summarize, I think your best bet would be a pair of JBL SRX722s or EV QRX212s with a pair of JBL SRX728s or EV QRX218 subwoofers for the shows you need more low end. Buy used if you can. Hire in a system for your 1000 person crowd.

LOL that was a terrible title. Anywho Iam from AUstralia I run an IT bussiness and for the past few years established a hire bussiness doing Slushy, choc Fountains lights & SOUnds. Usually having to sub contract DJ's for some gigs which is fine since I cant be everywhered at once. But its the quality of what I see turning up to some jobs so I thought we (Wife & I) would start to bring a little more professionalism back to the wedding arena. Look forward to lots of information Iam sure I will keep discoering on this site and sharing with many peoples knowlege and expertise. Often reviews on equipment in this industry come back to visting a local store. And from what I understand the U.S.A, canada etc have bit music places that stock various ranges of brands and you can try the, BUt that is not a possibility where we are and if we travel to the nearest capital city they are really only pushing one brand so you cant really compare. Still its all fun and game and I would not be anywhere else.

J

The SRX 722 is an excellent speaker... But setting it on the floor really doesn't look professional at all. We use the 722's regularly, but really only because they are easy to stack on our 728's to reach a good height.

To cover up to 1000 indoors, you are going to need at least a pair of SRX 728's or equivalent. Preferably four if you're doing bass-heavy dance music. They aren't cheap and neither are amps to power them properly.

I had a look at your introduction message, where abouts in Australia are you? I know of a few PA companies here in Melbourne and Sydney with quality equipment for sale. I know a guy looking to sell 10 Crown MacroTech 5000's for $1600 ea.
    Don't worry about it. Set them up, turn them on, listen to them, adjust if needed. No matter what you do, they're still going to sound like Eons

I give thumbs up to the following concert rated equipment.

Shure UHF SM Series.
    JBL SRX Series
    Crown Itech or Macrotech

But a set of speakers wont handle 1000 people even if you get them 10 feet off the ground.
    Last edited by SockoPro; 07-08-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    Bryan Sokoloskie * Socko Productions * (570)975-4333
    I help the little guy do that massive show they always dreamed about with my production team.

Definitely get the idea out of your head that you can do a 1,000 person event with 2 speakers. It's simply unreasonable and frankly unprofessional to attempt.

As most have stated, dual 15's are not the way to go, I started off with a B-52 Matrix 1000 system and truth be told I loved it because I was just starting out and it was simple. Then we added dual 15's for a second rig and a beefier setup, great for the first 2 gigs then I realized quickly those are the stupidest speakers to buy on earth because they are so damn heavy AND you still want a sub. They can't be raised off the ground (at least not easily) so you're are just shooting yourself on the crotch multiple times.

I actually liked my B-52 speakers, they were cheap and durable. So I'll never knock them other then to say make sure you buy smart. Don't go for their dual 15's, but I did like their folded horn subs. But I don't get into technicals either, I go by cost and sound.

With that said, take our advice and consider getting subs with 12" tops. It gives you a more versatile and scalable setup which is very important if you expect to be able to play 1,000 people events down the road. Because odds are you'll be doing 100-200 person events more often then 1,000 person. And really, when you get to that size you should start to be looking at Line Array professional grade speakers, not dual cabs.

This approach may be a bit more up front, but you'll thank yourself quickly. You won't always need a sub for smaller events and you can't work larger events without one. The smaller tops will give you better sounding high ends as well. If you just want to be able to play events and don't care about how you sound/look and are able to grow, then stick to your current plan. But listen to the people on this forum, I've been doing this for 7 years now and I've found the people here to be of immeasurable help across the board.

Stirring the pot

Yeah sorry about 6 hours north of brisbane in qld about 2400km from sydney or Melbourne but that's why couriers are for. So yes just the sort of arousal I was looking for in this thread. Ok 1000 or more without doubt I would get the bigger bussiness around me who do big stage productions to help out so really let's focus on say 1-200 max 500 portability is the key and awesome sound where applicable. That's a bit of an exaggeration but Iam sure you know what I mean. I mean Yamaha club series seems to get some up and down reviews for what I would have thought is a typically solid brand. When it comes to our home theatre installs without doubt KRIX is the only brand I have ever used and almost impossible for me to fault but that's not designed for "touring" gig to gig

EV are brand I occasionally see but suppliers that I have come across are not selling them. I just new to find better suppliers. So let's say I set a budget of $4000usd excluding amps and p&h what wouldn't I be disappointed with every time I unload the van?

Call you whoever your local trade store is (not your DJ retail store but your trades store; eg factory sound in Melbourne is mine) See what you can get in terms of quotes for a pair of SRX712's and a pair of SRX728's. For amps, QSC RMX bi amped on your tops and call up Norwest Touring and sort out 1 or 2 Crown MacroTechs. DBX 260 will sort out your processing. Otherwise, 2 QSC KW153's over 4 KW181's if you want a rocking active system.

@general forum, in terms of pricing keep in mind a pair of RCF ART 312A's over here runs just under $2000. Prices in Australia suck.