Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just had some less than stellar feedback, need more input

Hybrid View

Just had some less than stellar feedback, need more input

I had a guy I've looked up review a recent practice run I did.

This was the feedback I got from him:

"You start your mixes off beat every song has a 32 count and then something in the beat changes doesnt matter genre of music, you are 8 count off your mix is a little all over the place"

I completely understand what he means with the intro/out standard setup, but to me it sounds fine (with the exception of the when the beats drifted and little mistakes), I wasn't 100% concentrating on the mix and I was just kind of winging it.

But I was a bit taken back that he said my mix was "off"

Agree, Disagree?
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/23611859

Quote Originally Posted by Defiance View Post
    I wasn't 100% concentrating on the mix and I was just kind of winging it.
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/23611859
    Why would you ask someone to review something you're not really trying at? If you're going to ask for someones feedback start by putting 100% of your effort into doing your best. Then when you get the feedback you will know exactly what to concentrate
    on when you receive your feedback.

Also part of learning something new means that you're not going to be great at when you're starting out so understand when you're receiving positive feedback and learn from it. I would request more specific information than "your mix is all over the place." I'm going to check out your mix when I get back from dinner and give you my opinion (and its just that an opinion.)

I hope this helps.
    -Lodiodrive

I could stand it for about 10 minutes. Most of your mixes were terrible. You should be fixing your mixes IN YOUR HEADPHONES, not when the track is live.

He was probably talking about your phrasing... And the beatmatching wasn't spot on, but cue a bit more in your headphones before you mix in... it wasn't horrible, but definitely work on some kind of theme with your mix... It is ALL over the place, just like he said.

Also, ease up on the scratching... work more on your transitions, and throw in some baby scratches sparingly especially if you're just learning...

Quote Originally Posted by Mixxed View Post
    He was probably talking about your phrasing... And the beatmatching wasn't spot on, but cue a bit more in your headphones before you mix in... it wasn't horrible, but definitely work on some kind of theme with your mix... It is ALL over the place, just like he said.

Also, ease up on the scratching... work more on your transitions, and throw in some baby scratches sparingly especially if you're just learning...
    lol yeah, first time I have ever tried anything more than baby scratches and yes if it as a typical night, scratching would of been 1/10th how much I did in this lol.
    I understand the phrasing, but I guess I don't understand why that would make it sound off, compared to someone that the phrasing was spot on.

No theme really because it was more of a 'clean blindcrate' that I was doing for some people, hence why I was in swimming trunks and sandals lol

Reason I asked for feedback is because its the first recording I did like this and really the only second or third time I've had a chance for someone to review it that I know there skill level.

Mrkleen, I know some tracks floated off from being right on, and some started off a bit as well, thats not a big deal to me because thats something I usually don't do lol, I am more interested in comparing how it was mixed with 'how it should be mixed based on structure' theology. While it was not a prime example of being on point, how I typically mix in and out is about how I do it everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Defiance View Post
    Mrkleen, I know some tracks floated off from being right on, and some started off a bit as well, thats not a big deal to me because thats something I usually don't do lol,
    Not sure what you are laughing at. You posted a mix. It wasnt very good. Now you are trying to tell us that isnt how you usually sound?

So why did you post it in the first place?

Go back and practice more....come back when you have something you are proud to post.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkleen View Post
    Not sure what you are laughing at. You posted a mix. It wasnt very good. Now you are trying to tell us that isnt how you usually sound?

So why did you post it in the first place?

Go back and practice more....come back when you have something you are proud to post.
    I am more interested in knowing how 'correct' phrasing would sound v. the way I set the music up, than just feedback. If I sent you two of the songs I transitioned between , would you care to mix them together using the correct type of phrasing?

Or really anyone else?

You definitely need to be cueing on the 8th bar (32nd beat). All tracks will line up this way - but to reach an even better level of mixing, try lining up on the 16th bar (or using 8 bar loops make sure you hit on the the start of the new phrase after the 16th bar (64th beat)). If I hear a mix that is cued on the 4th bar (or 16th beat) it sounds terrible, I can't imagine a mix lined up after 2 bars.

Check the mix posted in my signature to see what I'm talking about in terms of cueing in groups of 16 bars (64 beats). You'll hit more double drops and have better natural mix effects.

I spin house - so take it is for what it's worth with other genres.

Ben, I listened to your mix and I run into this problem a lot. Your mix is great but its 'smooth' past the point where I can hear the different songs lol. The guy I had listen to my mix also spins house, I am just not familiar enough with it to break it apart.

From my mix, was the transition between Snoop and Will Smith on the 4th bar?
    Around my area I RARELY see anyone use the loop functions, unless they are distracted or something along those lines. I typically always use the loop function, would this be a cause for having it off phrase?