Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Program like Aperture?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellissentials View Post
    Now why aren't those tools just available? Why couldn't I have just opened it, then used the tools that I just had there?
    Camera RAW is essentially an editor for RAW images. Sort of like developing film. It allows you to make certain adjustments. Usually if you right click a RAW image file and have it open in Photoshop, it will open Camera RAW. I'm guessing you opened a JPG which is why you have never seen it before. The method I described above is a work around to use those tools with image formats other than RAW.

There are similar tools within regular photoshop though. Under the Enhance option in the menu bar, you should be able to reach all these types of settings. I don't own CS5 so I can't tell you where exactly it is available. I just use the baby Elements version of photoshop as that's what I could afford at the time.

pretty much all the tools in camera raw are available in the EDIT > IMAGE pannel in photoshop, the difference is that they work with raw files and not a flat image, but since your images are flat anyway the only added benifit to using camera raw is that they are more convenient.

btw, "change the focus point" is not possible once that shutter fires, dont matter if you're using a point n shoot, a DSLR or the hubble telescope.

Thanks guys.

I've learned a pretty good amount in the last 24 hours... mostly, take a good proper picture from the start and it will be more convenient and proper to work with after.

very much so, you often hear pretentious hipster photographers say bullshit lines like "oh i do it all in camera" but thats a stupid coment, by that method, no film should ever be processed, the camera is a tool for capturing all the information you need to get a great image, the processing of that information is at least 50% of what makes a photograph, most world famous photographers will tell you that the dark room is where a real photographer works.

that said, i do understand the difference between taking a photo and processing it well, and creating a false image.

but yes, you can only work with what you have.

look at it like a music project, a RAW file is like a production file, adjust 1 thing and it adjusts JUST that channel, be it bass in music or blacks in an image, but a JPEG is an MP3, adjust the blacks on that and it adjusts everything thats dark, like on an mp3 when you adjust the bass it moves the whole low end of everything.
    and working with higher quality mp3's will always be better for audio, and the same goes for images, If your original photo is smaller than 1000 pixels in any direction its going to be too small,

^ Everything you said up there hit me just right Marc, thank you

look at it like a music project, a RAW file is like a production file, adjust 1 thing and it adjusts JUST that channel, be it bass in music or blacks in an image, but a JPEG is an MP3, adjust the blacks on that and it adjusts everything thats dark, like on an mp3 when you adjust the bass it moves the whole low end of everything.
    and working with higher quality mp3's will always be better for audio, and the same goes for images, If your original photo is smaller than 1000 pixels in any direction its going to be too small
    This extremely helped me truly! Being as in depth with production that I have been for the last 2 years, this all makes total sense! Very very good analogy.

I'd rep you more if I could, but DJF knows I ride your rep pole too much lately