• Shure Whitelabel Review

Shure Whitelabel

The Whitelabel is a merger of the V15VxMR audiophile and the M35X DJ cartridges. The combination of those carts alone would make the Whitelabel a phenomenal cartridge, but Shure pushed the envelope by presenting those great components in a striking one piece integrated cartridge. The Whitelabel is truly unique; no other needle offers the features, performance, or looks quite like it.

Attachment 42

The Whitelabel uses the same stylus as the M35X, which has the least record wear, best skip resistance, and clearest sound of the 35 series. This stylus provides a very clear, tight sound with very deep bass. Frequency response is flat for the bass and midrange and there is a small boost in the high end, which gives the needle a sparkling sound without being too bright. Because the Whitelabel uses the internal components of the V15VxMR, the Whitelabel has a richer sound than the M35X. There is more detail and music is more dynamic. The Whitelabel does not come off overly cool or punchy like M35X. It has a full, smooth, natural sound and when mixing I found myself refraining from using the EQs and letting the music speak for itself.

The Whitelabel is sharp, strong looking cartridge, and pictures do not give justice to its striking and aggressive stance. The needles physical design is another source of its unique characteristics. The cartridge body is suspended over the stylus in a ďforward massĒ configuration, similar to a cartridge and headshell, but with a difference. Because the Whitelabel is a one piece cart designed from the ground up, Shure had absolute control and was able to give the Whitelabel optimum weight distribution. The Whitelabel tracks better at lower tracking forces and has less mass than the combined weight of a headshell and cartridge. This also keeps tonearm resonance to a minimum. The cartridge has an adjustable overhang, which allows the Whitelabel to be used with both s-shaped and straight arm turntables. On the side of the cartridge body there are markings to aid calibration, making it very easy to switch between types of tonearms without needing a gauge to verify adjustments. Changing overhang is done by loosening a single screw, and Shure includes a screwdriver with every cart.

One of the problems with one piece cartridges designs has been maintaining a reliable tonearm connection. Other once piece carts have had flawed contact designs which lead to over tightening of the connection, which would eventually damage of the tonearm to the point that it would need replacement. The Whitelabel has rounded, gold contacts very similar to the standard Technics headshell, but with a definite improvement. Under a magnifying glass you can see that the contacts are slightly flattened off at the end. When the cartridge is properly aligned the Whitelabel contacts connect with more surface area than a standard Technics headshell, providing an improved connection. The Whitelabel also has a large gasket that prevents over-tightening, which protects the tonearm. The stylus has a deep cut-out to help cuing, something Shure needles have always lacked.

The Whitelabel is a lovely sounding cart. Itís accurate and clear, without being punchy or bright. Bass reproduction goes very deep and remains clear and smooth. Overall the cart leaves a clean impression that does not leave the ear wanting or reaching in any way. Over long-term use I have found that I donít really like straight mixing with any other needle, and when I listen to records purely for pleasure I usually chose the Whitelabel as well. The Whitelabel is suited for most genres of music, but really shines with drumíníbass, techno, house, and rock. Hip-hop comes off a little thin and antiseptic sounding, but my ears could be in love with the way the four-coiled M44 series makes hip-hop. For scratching, the Whitelabel holds very well, probably on par with the M44-G. It stands up to back cueing and most scratches, but for serious turntablism the M44-7 is still better suited.

I really couldnít be happier with the Whitelabel and feel that it is well worth its premium price, especially when compared to other carts in its price range. The Whitelabel does not have any true weaknesses, and its advantages are impressive. If youíre in the market for a mix cart, or if you want to upgrade, you canít do better than the Whitelabel. Due to its solid performance and amazing design, itís going to take something truly revolutionary to top the Whitelabel.

Ratings: (1 lowest - 5 highest)
    Sound Quality: 5
    Tracking: 5
    Record Wear: 5
    Price: 4
    Overall: 5

by: mr.smashy
  • Recent Threads

SolomanTump

Another step along the road

Thread Starter: SolomanTump

Got my first turntables aged 16, some cheap Numarks in the year 1999. Euro-trance was all the rage so that is where I started.
    Got back into DJing

Last Post By: SolomanTump Today, 12:36 PM Go to last post
    alencr

Epnu - Placebo (free DL) (140 dubstep)

Thread Starter: alencr

Here's a new tune I finished, available as a free dl, because it's the festive season.

Epnu - Placebo

Last Post By: alencr Today, 07:33 AM Go to last post
    alencr

Epnu - Underground dubstep 140 mix for SeekSickSound

Thread Starter: alencr

Hey there, here's a mix for SeekSickSound, underneath is a Soundcloud link, and a link to the article which contains a tracklist and a link to download

Last Post By: alencr Today, 07:32 AM Go to last post
  • DJF Recent General Threads

Lms

Song sorting

Thread Starter: Lms

Hey guys. I got a load of songs I'm renaming due to being lables track 1 etc.
    I also want to put them in folders.
    I was wondering how you

Last Post By: Dix 12-12-2018, 07:13 AM Go to last post
a