• setting up to record your mixes

Attachment 65

Setting up to record your mixes

One of the key elements in furthering your career as a DJ is creating mix tapes, or demo CDs. You could be the best bedroom DJ in the world, but if you have no means to let people hear your skills, youíll never make it. Unfortunately, recording a mix isnít exactly simple. First off, thereís the medium you want to record too, minidisc, tape, or CD. Tapes and minidiscs are much easier to record too, but CDs are more widely used, and (compared to standard tapes) sound much better. Secondly, thereís how you want to record it. Many people use computers, others minidiscs, some use CD recorders. Finally, thereís the issue of getting the music stream to the recording device. Well, this tutorial is designed to aide in setting up your gear for recording. Letís get started.

First off, you must decide what medium you want to record to, minidisc (some people may opt to use a MP3 player with record capabilities, if so, the connections to these devices are identical to minidisc players) CDs or tape. The short answer is CDs. They last longer, are more widely used, and they have a clearer sound over a wider frequency range compared to tapes. If you happen to live in the stone age, and donít have access to a computer with a CD burner, youíll have to settle for tape or minidisc, but I STRONGLY recommend you either A) find a friend who has a computer and CD burner, or B) move out of the stone age, and buy a cheap computer with a burner. If your computer is in another room, you may have to settle for tape or minidisc and covert to CD later.

Now for the difficult part, connecting your gear to your recording device. First off, youíll need to check out your mixer. Some mixers have a Record Out, which would be optimal. This output is independent of the master volume, so the signal it sends is constant, no matter what the master volume level of the mixer is. This prevents unwanted volume changes in the middle of the mix, and gives you the freedom to use the master level if the music is too loud, or too quiet. If your mixer doesnít have a record out, your second choice should be the Booth Out. The booth out is similar to the Record Out, in that itís independent from the master volume level; however, it has its own volume control. When recording, you simply set the booth volume level, and leave it throughout the mix. Finally, if you donít have either, youíre going to have to use your Master Out. When using this, you must be careful not to bump the volume while mixing, or else youíll get unwanted level changes during the mix.

Next, you need to decide how youíre going to record your mix, as this will dictate the parts needed, and the connections you will make. I recommend using a computer. With a computer, not only can you record your mix, but you can break it up into tracks, burn CDs now or later, add an intro, and do any mastering that may be needed (adjusting volume levels, trimming extra silence recorded at the beginning or end of the mix, etc). Letís take a look at the parts needed for each type of recording.

Recording to a PC:
    You will need:
    1 Stereo RCA to Stereo 1/8Ē mini plug adapter.

If your mixer does NOT have a Record output or Booth output, you will also need 2 RCA Y splitters. You need the kind with a single Male end, and two Female ends.

Recording to a CD Recorder:
    You will just need one stereo RCA cable. Again, if your mixer does not have a Record or Booth output, you will need two of the Y splitters.

Recording to a Tape Deck:
    You will just need one stereo RCA cable.

Recording to a Minidisc player:
    You will just need one RCA to Stereo 1/8Ē Mini plug wire.

These parts can be found at any electronics store.

Ok, now letís take a look at how to make the actual connections. If you take a peek at the back of your mixer, you should see all the different outputs. First, look for a set of RCAs outputs labeled something along the lines of, REC, RECORD, REC OUT, or RECORD OUT. If you donít have a record out, look for the booth out, usually labeled something like BOOTH, or BOOTH OUT. Some may be labeled MONITOR OUT, so be sure to check closely. Now, if you have either of those connections, simply plug the RCA cable, corresponding with your recording device above, into the RCA plugs. Be sure to match the colors!

In the case that you have to use your master out, you will also have to connect the Y adapters you also purchased.
    1 - Plug one of the Y splitters into the white RCA output on the mixer
    2 - Next, attach the white RCA wire for the recording device to one of the Y splitters inputs.
    3 - Then attach the white RCA wire for the master output source (shelf system, amp, receiver, etc) to the other of the Y splitterís inputs.
    4 - Now, attach the other Y splitter to the red output on the mixer.
    5 - Finally, attach the red RCA plugs from the recording device, and master output source to the Y adapter.

Next, itís time to connect the wires to your recording device.

Mini-disc:
    Mini-discs are quite simple to set up. They all function differently, so be sure to read your userís manual closely. As far as connecting the mixer, simply plug the 1/8Ē plug into the Line In input on the minidisk.

Tape/CD Recorder:
    These devices both record in a similar manner, so the connections are also similar. Simply plug the RCA plugs into the Input sections of the recorder. No two recorders are the same, so be sure to read your manual carefully.

Computer:
    Connecting your mixer to a computer can be a little trickier than the previous devices, simply because of the myriad of connections on the back of the machine. First off, when you make any connections, be sure to power the computer down, and unplug it. Itís unlikely youíll damage anything while plugging in a stereo wire, but itís best to be safe. Now, on the back of the machine, look for the sound card inputs, some machines have built in sound cards, so the inputs may be located around where the mouse and keyboard are plugged in. Other computers have separate sound cards plugged into one of the expansion slots, either way, look for the Line In (it will be a 1/8Ē mini jack). DO NOT use the Mic input! This input is very sensitive, and a strong signal could possibly fry your sound card. In my experience, if you are looking at the back of the PC, the 1/8Ē input to the far left will be the Mic input, the input to its immediate right will be the Line In input. This is not 100% guaranteed however.

Finally, itís time to setup your device.

Due to the fact there are many different types of mini-disc players, tape recorders, and CD records, I cannot go into detail regarding their use. I strongly suggest reading the userís manual. If you have misplaced the manual, most manufacturers have their product documentation on their company website. Also, at the time of this writing, I am unfamiliar with recording on a Mac.

Setting up a computer properly to record is very important. If not setup properly, you could be left scratching your head as to why the computer isnít getting a signal, or you could suffer from poor sound quality, so be sure to follow the steps closely.

1 - In your task bar, next to the clock, there should be a small icon that looks like a speaker. Double click on this icon.

2 - The Volume Control window will open. From here click on Options -> Properties.
    3 - In the new window, under ďAdjust Volume ForĒ select Recording. Make sure Line In is checked in the box below, and click Ok.
    4 - The Volume Control window will change to read Recording Control. From this window, make sure the Select box under Line In is checked.
    5 - Finally, turn your PC speakers on, and play a record/CD on your system. If your connections are made correctly, you should hear the song from your PC speakers. If you do not hear anything, be sure your connections are correct, the Line In volume isnít all the way down, or it isnít muted in the Volume Control window.

Now youíre all set to begin recording in the program of your choice. When recording, be sure to set the bitrate, and sampling rate to 16 bits, 44,100 Hz (44.1 Khz), Stereo. If youíre recording levels seem too high, return to the Recording Control window following the steps above, and lower the level of the line in.

Look for tutorials soon on how to record using many of the popular recording programs currently available.

written by Just J
  • Recent Threads

ITSJF

Mixer volume swings

Thread Starter: ITSJF

I've been using an A&H Xone22 for a few years and recently it's been doing something where the volume swings up and down while I'm playing. It will

Last Post By: ITSJF Today, 06:16 PM Go to last post
    AmyMWaWa

Rock n Roll Bingo

Thread Starter: AmyMWaWa

Hey everyone! My husband and I have been DJ'ing weddings, parties, etc for about 12 years or so, just as a side gig. We got into hosting Rock n' Roll

Last Post By: AmyMWaWa Today, 04:58 PM Go to last post
    quick

To mix with a s9 or a sx2 with DVS?

Thread Starter: quick

Iím not sure what to do but I want to mix DVS with an s9 and I also want to use a sx2 as a mixer with my DVS. I canít have both so have to choose one

Last Post By: quick Today, 04:39 PM Go to last post
  • DJF Recent General Threads

quick

To mix with a s9 or a sx2 with DVS?

Thread Starter: quick

Iím not sure what to do but I want to mix DVS with an s9 and I also want to use a sx2 as a mixer with my DVS. I canít have both so have to choose one

Last Post By: quick Today, 04:39 PM Go to last post
    RestUnknown

Quality of music going down?

Thread Starter: RestUnknown

I've always liked a good electro house song. But lately when going through the top 100 of electro house of beatport, all the songs are absolutely sh**.

Last Post By: JackStalk Yesterday, 03:54 PM Go to last post
    Dix

Facebook & advertising changes

Thread Starter: Dix

So, if I understand this right (there are many different articles & news reports on this), FB is going to get more & more away from news feed

Last Post By: Dix 01-16-2018, 09:54 PM Go to last post
    steveryan

Mixer with a Gain Meter

Thread Starter: steveryan

Why is it that no manufacturer has yet to produce a mixer with a Gain Meter??

Seems like a useful thing to me...

DJ's are

Last Post By: pete Today, 01:20 PM Go to last post
    VJ LouNYC

Retired DJ's Man Cave

Thread Starter: VJ LouNYC

I retired from DJing over a year ago. I kept my turntables and sold my Rane 64 mixer and purchased a Rane MP2015. I always wanted a rotary mixer and

Last Post By: VJ LouNYC 01-14-2018, 10:11 AM Go to last post
a