PDA

View Full Version : Mixing with out the crossfader

fat8ack
02-09-2012, 03:56 PM
I started off mixing/DJing with a Mixtrack Pro. Eventually the crossfader started to fail and bleed quite a bit. So I tought myself how to mix without it using the volume slide for each channel. I now have the NS6 and dont even turn the crossfader on as it is pretty much useless to me as I am in no way a scratch DJ nor is it some thing I see my self really getting into (at the moment).

I guess my question is does anyone else mix like this. Just wondering really if there is a right or wrong way to mix or just user preference. Thnx!!!

DJMC
02-09-2012, 04:03 PM
I don't think there is ONE "right" way to do something.

As long as you're comfortable with relying on the volume sliders -- that's great!

I've always been spoiled by Rane crossfaders (alps pots & fader mechanisms) -- so I have become ingrained in using X-fade (and also my volume sliders and bass/treble/midrange conrols) with my MP-44.

Just keep on mixing and do whatever makes you happy.

DJMC is a Northern CA DJ who provides non-cheesy emcees/DJs for Sacramento weddings (http://www.dj-mc.com)

Sigma
02-09-2012, 04:11 PM
For me: -

Crossfader = For switching back and forth between tracks (cos you can do it easily with one hand) and the primary fader for scratching. I always have the crossfader set to the sharpest cut possible.

Line faders = Secondary faders for scratching (for fading scratches mostly), they're used for some trick mixing techniques, for example, where I might need to kill one channel or affect the volume of both at the same time, and sometimes I use one for temporarily lowering the volume of a track when it's not appropriate to use the gain. I always have the line faders set to a smooth curve.

There's no right or wrong, cos if you try and do a certain mixing technique you'll soon figure out what's the best way to do it in terms of which faders to use for you personally.

greenlight
02-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Since I learnt to mix using the channel faders I've never used the cross fader. I don't scratch, just blend. I think mixing with the channel faders makes it easier to match the level of the two tracks and get a smooth mix.

JohnnyGraz
02-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Since I learnt to mix using the channel faders I've never used the cross fader. I don't scratch, just blend. I think mixing with the channel faders makes it easier to match the level of the two tracks and get a smooth mix.

I agree. I am self-taught and have ALWAYS used the volume-faders to mix and have NEVER used the crossfader. Being that I play house and trance, I NEVER scratch :)

Dj_4-$hure
02-09-2012, 06:07 PM
I use both equally! I scratch a lot, so it just depends on the transition that I feel works with the song.

Andrew B
02-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Using the channel faders to mix is pretty common, actually. I would say it's standard for mixing dance music if you're not doing any cutting.

djkvg
02-09-2012, 11:06 PM
i started out like that. then later on when i got into scratching i started using the xfader more.

dskreet
02-10-2012, 12:02 AM
Using the channel faders to mix is pretty common, actually. I would say it's standard for mixing dance music if you're not doing any cutting.

That how it was for me, used the channel faders 100% of the time. So I move to a Rotary mixer, suits my mixing style.

Dj_4-$hure
02-10-2012, 12:20 AM
I believe people who use rotary mixers, are really good at EQ's.

mrkleen
02-10-2012, 02:04 PM
I believe people who use rotary mixers, are really good at EQ's.

Depends on how long you have been DJing. Old school rotary mixers (Bozak and Urei) did not have any channel EQs.

jaytoh
02-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Depends what genre I'm playing. Garage & Hip Hop I will use a cross fader as its easier to cut & chop.

Dubstep I mix the same way I mix House so I just use the volume channels as I feel I have more control over the volume for blending

fat8ack
02-10-2012, 03:09 PM
I have never tried a rotary but am getting more and more interested as time goes on. Would that work better for some one like my self that primarily mixes house/dance music? I know it all come down to personal preference, but I notice a lot of people see rotary's as the creme de la creme so to speak. I have seen the Rane Empath and it looks pretty sick.

I use a NS6 also so I am not so sure how easy it would be to mod it to rotary's. In this video on djsounds.com Louie Vega is using a DJM1000 moded with rotary's. This guy is a legend, imo, in house music and I like how he works the rotary's......sorry I will just start a new fader vs. rotary thread....but yall get my pic I hope.

*G*.~JerryMoon
02-14-2012, 09:28 AM
I used to use the crossfader on my old controller once I moved to the VMS4 I stopped using it completely and just kept it unassigned and moved to the up-faders I like the feel and control plus i try to mix more than 2 tracks at a time or keep background loops on a lower volume to add a little bit

After being on this forum for a while I learned there aren't really any right / wrong ways to do things all about preferance and your style

NickJames
02-14-2012, 10:22 AM
http://imgproxy.com/faders.jpg

I personally don't know any EDM DJs who mix with the crossfader. (aside from people online)

g-sep
02-14-2012, 11:10 AM
I spin mostly house, some dnb and trance also. I use the crossfader as well as my channel faders. Shoot I'll scratch in a house track, why not? Do something different just because. Faderwave makes me do these silly things ;)

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Mike_Easy
02-15-2012, 03:09 PM
yea i havent touched the cross-fader it stays off unless i decide to play with it lol

de.j.l
02-15-2012, 03:53 PM
http://imgproxy.com/faders.jpg

I personally don't know any EDM DJs who mix with the crossfader. (aside from people online)

Nick James Biotch, I mix alot with both. Actually when I first started playing out people thought I was weird for using the crossfader as much I as do.. all my friends who I mix with disable it, when I go on I enable it and it mucks them up when we switch back.

Ohmega
02-15-2012, 04:22 PM
I have never tried a rotary but am getting more and more interested as time goes on. Would that work better for some one like my self that primarily mixes house/dance music? I know it all come down to personal preference, but I notice a lot of people see rotary's as the creme de la creme so to speak. I have seen the Rane Empath and it looks pretty sick.

I use a NS6 also so I am not so sure how easy it would be to mod it to rotary's. In this video on djsounds.com Louie Vega is using a DJM1000 moded with rotary's. This guy is a legend, imo, in house music and I like how he works the rotary's......sorry I will just start a new fader vs. rotary thread....but yall get my pic I hope.

I have a Pioneer DJM-3000 with the rotary kit option. Rotary faders have much more accuracy than a standard fader. The action is closer to a 100mm fader than a 40 or 60mm. However trying to punch things in and out is harder due to the fine level adjustments. You can sweep tracks in under one another without it being obvious. That in combination with gain and eq makes for a much smoother mix all around. Perfect for House, Techno, Tech-House, Minimal, and Trance.

DJNR
02-15-2012, 04:42 PM
I usually mix EDM without it.

DJArmani
02-15-2012, 09:50 PM
when you're mixing house volume slides are help ! sometimes mixing w/ the crossfader cuts the song your mixing out

swine
04-05-2012, 12:56 AM
the main reason I might use a cross fader over the line faders is because the cross fader is always linear. Some times the volume faders are logarithmic.

DJNR
04-05-2012, 01:51 AM
the main reason I might use a cross fader over the line faders is because the cross fader is always linear. Some times the volume faders are logarithmic.

Could you explain that? I don't understand.

spiz
04-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Could you explain that? I don't understand.

Linear = 1 inch of movement, anywhere on the fader = a set amount of volume
Logarithmic = 1 inch of movement varies depending where you are on the curve. Just imagine a curve going upwards. The first few movements, usually at the start, don't effect volume much. But as you progress and get closer to the point, a small movement will be large change in volume. So basically the first half inch you moved it, your volume goes from a "1" to a "2". But the second half inch, goes from "2" to a "4". This would be graphed like y=x^2., the linear equation y=x

So basically, by using the crossfader in this situation results in greater mix consistency regarding volume levels.

Hopefully you understand what I'm thinking/describing... and i'm not too far off base.

BurntToast
04-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Logarithmic = 1 inch of movement varies depending where you are on the curve. Just imagine a curve going upwards. The first few movements, usually at the start, don't effect volume much. But as you progress and get closer to the point, a small movement will be large change in volume. So basically the first half inch you moved it, your volume goes from a "1" to a "2". But the second half inch, goes from "2" to a "4". This would be graphed like y=x^2., the linear equation y=x

So basically, by using the crossfader in this situation results in greater mix consistency regarding volume levels.

Hopefully you understand what I'm thinking/describing... and i'm not too far off base.

Well put, sir.

Finnish_Fox
04-05-2012, 11:10 AM

Is that always true, even if you have a curve setting that makes the upfader "linear" (by which I mean the little drawing on the mixer that is a straight line?)?

mrkleen
04-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Depends on the mixer. Many mixers have not just adjustable crossfaders, but adjustable line faders.

Finnish_Fox
04-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Depends on the mixer. Many mixers have not just adjustable crossfaders, but adjustable line faders.

I've seen some that say they have a linear upfader but wasn't sure if the guy above was saying that none are truly linear.

mrkleen
04-05-2012, 01:00 PM
I've seen some that say they have a linear upfader but wasn't sure if the guy above was saying that none are truly linear.

Yeah, not really sure what he is talking about saying "always"...nothing related to DJ gear is "always"

DJNR
04-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Yeah, not really sure what he is talking about saying "always"...nothing related to DJ gear is "always"

So if I have my DJM 900 nexus set to linear volume fader, is that the same as the crossfader being linear?

mars.shosh1n
04-05-2012, 03:27 PM
My zero4 has adjustable curves on all cross/volume-faders.

That said, I also have a pmc-25 that I put a rotary kit in. Worked great for a couple weeks, until left channel on master started being flaky. Initially, I thought it was a bad channel pot again -- but I was wrong. Tugging at various lines coming out of the xfader carriage indicated there was an xfader connection going wonky. So I put the xfader in the middle, reseated the carriage, then removed the xfader entirely. I now have a fully rotary mixer without a crossfader. And it's wonderful ^_^

djlukewathey
04-08-2012, 05:33 AM
i pretty much learnt myself and iv allways used the line faders although i did try the cross fader a few times when playing about and i dont really feel comfatable lol so back to the up faders

dlove
04-08-2012, 08:55 AM
I've always used the crossfader and the EQ's if needed, but I think that's more to do with being taught the basics by a hip-hop DJ than anything else.

BurntToast
04-08-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm pretty new to mixing, but I'm already finding that I prefer the volume faders over the cross fader. The volume faders seem to offer more control and require less precision. If I keep my crossfader in the middle most of the time, it's less to worry about. Plus, sometimes I start fading a track up and not hearing anything, only to realize I left my cross fader all the way on the wrong side. :uhoh:

Phi
04-09-2012, 03:48 AM
I allways mix with a combination of EQ and a little upfader. For me the crossfader is used only for scratching and beat-juggling, and because of this I also always have the crossfader reversed and at a 2mm cut.

I generally will kill one or two EQ bands and then fade in with the upfader while pulling back the corisponding EQs on the outgoing track to ˝make room˝ for the new one. Wait for a phrase beginning and swap baselines or mid. Then mix out using the EQ or FX. Simple, clean, and easy...

DjAaron
04-09-2012, 09:20 PM
I do my mixes with just the upfaders and EQ's. I just leave the crossfader in the middle and just leave it alone lol

Kingbob182
05-07-2012, 11:12 PM
I mix house and electro. I only use volume faders 90% of them time. Of course there are time where the crossfader is useful and i want to slam it across. Like yesterday I was playing a set for a CD and playing Bloody Beetroots - Warp 1.9. as it got to the 1, 2, woop, woop, I slammed it across dropped Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit.
But When I started, I used the crossfader for everything. Paid no attention to the channel faders. But a DJ who was helping me said to try using the channel faders because if and when I move to a 4channel set up, I'll find it much easier.
Plus, it just gives so much more control over volume for each track.
I could never go back to crossfader mixing

hoff
05-07-2012, 11:44 PM
My CF is always turned off. Channel faders, EQ's and filters are what I use.

Mrspyaman
05-08-2012, 10:31 AM
How do you guys that don't use crossfaders offset the live track volume and Start/Push/Pull the incoming track at the same time as well as bring the incoming volume up?

Dave Daschofsky
05-08-2012, 11:06 AM
How do you guys that don't use crossfaders offset the live track volume and Start/Push/Pull the incoming track at the same time as well as bring the incoming volume up?

I usually cut the bass on the live track or the one I'm mixing in. I mostly do mashups so it's a lot of fader slamming. For EDM and longer blends I use the EQs to keep the volume consistent, if you have full-kills you don't even really need the upfaders.