PDA

View Full Version : might be getting a great deal on "expo" truss

DJ Higgumz
06-27-2012, 09:56 PM
I found a deal on craigslist where this guy has 4 10 ft sticks of the same model of truss I have. heres my truss, keep in mind my setup is way neater than this so no need to criticize, and I have the right rigging on the lights, safety cables and all :tup:. 475

anyways this guy is selling 40 ft of this stuff and 2 Odyssey crank up stands for 120$. so that had me thinking. I could see using them as totems for my 4 roboscans, and using the truss I currently have and the crank up stand for my cx2s, moonflowers and other things I would add. what are your thoughts? though this is wimpy compared to global truss, it holds what I had on it, and that was probably around 200 lbs. and being in a vertical config with 30lb lights should be fine right? another thought I had was 10 ft seems a little high than normal, but people who use totems put moving heads on them, not scanners.

sss18734
06-27-2012, 10:14 PM
I use Martin scanners in place of moving heads for my cheaper events. So while it's not a bad idea, 10 feet is ridiculously high - you actually won't get good dance floor coverage if they are anywhere near the dancefloor.

DJ Higgumz
06-27-2012, 10:29 PM
I never thought of that, to make it worse I'm running in sound active, I don't have dmx. But, wouldn't it look better with lights everywhere, shooting all over the room compared to one 30ft area? I recently upgraded to t60s (subwoofers) and now I can probably run up to 200 people shows, so I will be looking at a larger coverage area. I could even mount it off the front of the truss at 8 ft, provided the base plate is large enough.

BillESC
06-29-2012, 07:38 PM
That looks like antenna truss which is only certified for a compression (vertical) load and not horizontal usage.

DJ Higgumz
06-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Idk it must be some strange brand, I've seen it a lot for DJing in my area

DJ Higgumz
06-29-2012, 11:32 PM
There is also a load rating decal on it, but it is too worn to be readable

BillESC
06-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Find out. If it is antenna tower and something happened while you were using it in a horizontal set up. You'll not be covered by insurance and be 100% liable.

DJ Higgumz
07-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Yea I will be sure before buying