PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting Producer battle - Rek Aviles vs Mrspydaman

JonAvalon
06-27-2012, 09:09 PM
File 1 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/Rek_aviles-vs-mrspydaman-producerbattle-1.mp3)

File 2 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/Rek_aviles-vs-mrspydaman-producerbattle-2.mp3)

Rules:

**Any genre**, but must fit a pop format. With some customization, that's intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-specialmoment-doublechorus-outtro.

About 3:20 long. Pop formats have 16 bar phrases, though as dance music uses 32 bar phrases, you obviously have flexibility to give it a 32 bar feel. Additionally, there are dance tracks that use pop formats (daft punk did almost exclusively in Homework) whose verses and choruses alternative buildup-breakdown so that it feels dancey. So again, Pop format, but within that structure, you have total flexibility.

Voting
The ranking will be done in brackets, according to a 3 part score, 1 to 5 with 1 being suck and 5 being pro.

Quality of production, mixdown, mastering.
Adherence to rules/format.

Vibe, creativity, just how much you like the track, freeform vote.

Also you will cast a holistic vote on the forum voting software which serves as a tie breaker.

* see call out thread for more information
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?7930-First-Annual-Producer-Battle-RULES-AND-ROLL-CALL

*Winner faces the winner of this battle
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?9958-Producer-battle-Hygro-vs-Funkyfader

Hygro
06-27-2012, 09:49 PM
File 1:

Production quality: 3. felt there was kind of a center missing. In a way this adds to your vibe score, but nothing was quite front enough. I felt there could have been more power to the drums, even though it seemed you wanted to keep them mellow. You used some really awesome background sounds that added a lot of spice to the mix. That gives production and vibe score.
Adherence to rules: 5. Pop format is pretty solid, down to the 2/3s-the-way-through breakdown. Sample is used awesomely.
Vibe: 4. In terms of understanding the psychedelia of the sample, and working around that, you really worked with the energy and soul of the sample. Emphasis on a super bassy kick made it almost dub without being dub. As the production had some elements not giving the track quite the strength it needed, the the vibe took a hit. But you artistically got it and I like that.

I'm going to assume the abrupt ending was an upload error and not yours. If it was yours, I'm psychicly docking you a vibe point, and if it was cut off 12+ seconds early, docking psychicly for breaking pop timing just ever so slightly.
Total: 12 points

Mix 2. Really hooked from the beginning.

Production: 5. The production is super good. The panned filter sweeps, the fullness of the drums, the stereo spreading and changing the timbres etc.
Format: 4. On one hand it skirts into a more classic dance format, even though its mostly pop in structure. The samples are present. It was the right vibe choice even if it cost you here.
Vibe: 5. The groove is super amazing. The use of the samples was not as "getting it" as Track 1, though you got it well enough. I almost docked a point there but I couldn't. That bassline is awesome the use of sidechaining was really nice even though it's becoming a tired sound, I liked it here a lot. I could play this one live. Super good groove.
Track 2 total: 14 points.

While track 1 I felt played with the sample and the concept better, track 2 by one point gets my vote for being a stronger track that'd I'm down to really groove to.

drumpusher
06-29-2012, 05:16 AM
Not gonna get into the scoring bullshit. File 1 swings the vote for me.

DJArmani
07-01-2012, 11:11 AM
File 2 was way more creative than File 1. File 1 was just really simple and boring imo.

novadnb
07-01-2012, 11:37 AM
I liked the vibe on number 2 best.

JamesRoss
07-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Voted for number two.

Number one:
Production Quality: 4/5. I thought you did a good job
Rules: 5/5. Not gonna lie, I tried to find flaws with both mixes for following the rules but honestly I couldn't seem to find anything that went against the format.
Vibe: 3/5. I thought it was pretty chill but kinda anti progressive and kinda stayed with the same groove.

Number two:
Pruduction Quality: 5/5. Awesome job.
Rules: 5/5. same comment as number one.
Vibe: 5/5. Totally got into this one, great groove, nice and progressive with a good climax.

Way to go both participants!!

Funkyfader
07-03-2012, 05:34 AM
File 2,seriously awesome work.

Mrspyaman
07-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Hey thanks for voting everyone.