PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think Id Be Making A Mistake? (CDJ400 to CDJ800mk2)

Tektonix
06-26-2012, 03:04 AM
Hey Guys,

So I have a pair of CDJ400's for a month now, Love them to bit's. Their solid, full of features and just overall awesome decks. However, Ive been getting the urge to move on to something different, Simply because im bored :lol:

Sooooooo, Ive been looking at CDJ 800mk2's. Reason being, they have big jog wheels, they are solid as fuck from what ive heard and id be able to sell my 400's, pay for the 800mk2's and still have some beer money left over for a good night of mixing on them ahahaha

My only hesitation is, they are significantly less featured than what ive been using all my life (DNS-1200, CDJ400) so im used to on board FX, USB and such. However, i find im just burning CD's now anyways and worst to worst i can burn an MP3 disc and use that if i need mass amounts in one place. So the only downfall is the FX, Sorry more specifically the lack of a filter or "wah" effect on the unit. I could however learn to use my EQ's to achieve this effect, its just nice to have one button for it thats all. I guess it just comes down to connivance thats all /:

I know, I know it sounds like i kinda have my mind made up but, Just wanted some more opinions on this.....Would i be making a mistake? (No i dont want to save a bit more and buy 850's or 900's.....The idea is to break even after sale of 400's or have some money left over, Like a swap kinda)

Please share your thought's, experiences with this sort of stuff and such ect.... :)

EDIT: Also i feel it might be a good way to teach me stop messing with FX and tricks and shit and just focus on mixing with EQ's and shit seamlessly and perfect the art of just solid mixing.

Buszaj
06-26-2012, 07:58 AM
I've had a pair of second hand 800mk2's for a couple of years now, and love them. I find them to be simple and extremely reliable decks. Pretty much just the basics you need to mix. The only issues I've had is the cue button going sticky after a lot of use, but it's very easy to replace with basic soldering skills. (I imagine this happens to most decks after a few years). Other than that, I've never had a problem reading back a disc or the music skipping. My decks have been used and abused countless times in a crowded booth with the occasional drinks being splashed around, bumped around in a road case.......you get the point. Very reliable pieces of gear.

I've used the 400s a few times. I personally never had a use for any of the effects or USB capabilities, and the larger size of the 800 really does it for me. Also, any effects I do use, I prefer to have them on my mixer or an external effector. I'd rather have my deck be solely responsible for reading the track.

And they will definitely give you the chance to work "strictly" on mixing, like you said. They're pretty much bare-bones players, and will allow you to focus on your work with the mixer and your tracks.

MeowMix
06-26-2012, 08:10 AM
If you got bored of 400s i think you'll get bored of 800s even faster.

why not change it up even more and get something like the Denon 3700s (seen em used for 400 each).

Manu
06-26-2012, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't downgrade for some beer money.

Liam
06-26-2012, 10:34 AM
I sold my 400's a year and a half ago and bought 1000 mk3's.. I know the mk3's are a step up from the 800's but i was considering the 800's and was regularly playing on 800's for a year after selling my 400's and to be honest i don't ever miss the USB feature or the effects. I love the bigger platter though. That itself is enough for me to change.

Tektonix
06-27-2012, 04:59 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys i appreciate it :)

Glad to see im not the only one that just likes dat big fuckin jog wheel LOL Honestly i think a bare bones, straight to the point deck is what i need right now, i wouldn't see doing this as a downgrade really tbh, Its still quality gear, just less bells and whistles. I was looking at the DNS3700's but unfortunately in Canada, we love our denon so its jacked up due to the demand 6-7 bills a piece USED :/ As where id be looking at about 8 bills average 7 on a good day for both the 800mk2's. Been watching videos and reading reviews for 2 days straight now and im pretty much convinced im gonna like it so i think ima be going for it :)

Thanks a bunch guys, Cheers :)

EDIT: Quick Q......When cueing on the CDJ800mk2....Can i hold cue and press play then let go of cue and have it continue playing or not on these decks?

Liam
06-27-2012, 05:28 AM
Thanks a bunch guys, Cheers :)

EDIT: Quick Q......When cueing on the CDJ800mk2....Can i hold cue and press play then let go of cue and have it continue playing or not on these decks?

Yeah you sure can, just like all Pio CDJ's. This a feature you use quite a bit?

Era 7
06-27-2012, 06:26 AM
just like all Pio CDJ's.

the 800MK1 can't ;)

but yeah on the MK2 he sure can.

Tommy D
06-27-2012, 06:43 AM
I wouldnt go to the 800s from the 400s. I think you will regret it. Unless you can go the extra and go to some 1000s i would stick with what you have. The 400s are great and if i didnt have 1000s thats what i would buy (aside from the current generation of CDJs).

Liam
06-27-2012, 06:50 AM
the 800MK1 can't ;)

but yeah on the MK2 he sure can.

Ah, ok. I thought the mk1 could. But then again it's been years (about 6) since i last used mk1's so my mistake. :)

Will MaXimal
06-27-2012, 03:38 PM
I loved my CDJ-800MK2's man... The larger platter feels so nice. The quick loop buttons are also the bomb. I used them more then i used the cue buttons on the 1000's.

I could have gotten a full CDJ400 and mixer setup for less than what i paid for my 1000's but i wanted the larger platter and i am very glad that i went that route.

Connor
06-28-2012, 01:59 PM
On an 800 MK2 or others you can hold the cue button then press play and release the play button it will stop playing. On my 1000 MK1/MK2 you have to hold the cue button press the play button while still holding the cue button and keeping the play button held then releasing the cue button for it to continue playing. It sounds weird but it's actually completely natural for me.

Tektonix
06-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Sweeeeeet :D And yeah Liam it's a feature I use allot, Guess it's just force of habit as its been what i do since i started using CD decks :lol: Good to know i can do it on these :) And i dont blame you swerv, Dat platter man...... It does things for you. Its like, once you go black......youll do it again ( sept the black guys a bit platter)

CC Ricers
06-30-2012, 03:49 PM
I've used the 400s a few times. I personally never had a use for any of the effects or USB capabilities, and the larger size of the 800 really does it for me. Also, any effects I do use, I prefer to have them on my mixer or an external effector. I'd rather have my deck be solely responsible for reading the track.

And they will definitely give you the chance to work "strictly" on mixing, like you said. They're pretty much bare-bones players, and will allow you to focus on your work with the mixer and your tracks.

:stupid:

I feel the same way with the 400's, didn't really use the FX but the small jogwheel was the real turn-off to me. I sold them after a week of using them. The 800's put the simplicity of the average turntable in a CD player package.