PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else using TouchOSC?

Jason Cerna
02-09-2012, 01:52 PM
For those who've never heard of: TouchOSC (http://hexler.net/software/touchosc)

I picked it up right before the holidays in December. I've started to use it more at home when I'm working with Ableton Live. I also made up a basic mixing and effects template for Traktor 2 if for some reason my main controller and backup both crap out.

I just have it running on my iPhone4 for now. In the near future, I would like to get an iPad and start using it more. In preparation, I've already made up some iPad templates for both Traktor 2 and Ableton Live.

I love my kontrol s4. But, I've had those feelings of wanting to expand some more and TouchOSC seems to be a perfect fit for me instead of buying new hardware.

drzinc
02-11-2012, 01:14 PM
I use a simular product. I use the VDJ app for ipod/pad/phone it allows me to run VDJ from the iDevice wirelessly. I use it mostly as an effect and sample trigger.

Andrew B
02-11-2012, 01:16 PM
I have it but don't use it much. I just prefer buttons, knobs and sliders to a touch screen.

drzinc
02-11-2012, 01:21 PM
By the way my laptop has a touch csreen so i can run most VDJ by touching the screen.

mostapha
02-12-2012, 03:20 AM
I have it. And the Lemur app. Hate them with a passion.

There are cool things I've seen with Lemur, but the only thing I actually like it for is expressive delays. And I just don't think it's wroth the trouble compared to turning knobs.

But I'm weird. I honestly think I'd buy a C24 before an iPad if I had the money for either. Since I have the money for neither, I own neither.

Andrew B
02-12-2012, 03:28 AM
Whoa, I had no idea there was a Lemur app now.

mostapha
02-12-2012, 10:06 AM
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lemur/id481290621?mt=8

It was released in December. I kinda wish I could sell my copy.

Damon_Chambers
02-12-2012, 11:35 AM
ive tried a lot of these touch apps (minus the lemur app) and they are VERY cool in conjunction with the ipad. touchAble is freaking awesome.

im with andrew though... i much prefer pads, buttons and sliders. when i got my apc40 i quit tinkering with the touch apps completely.

Andrew B
02-12-2012, 01:10 PM
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lemur/id481290621?mt=8

It was released in December. I kinda wish I could sell my copy.

$50 :blank:

Interesting that it was released by Richie Hawtin's company.

Jason Cerna
02-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Yea the $50 price tag is what turned me off of Lemur.

mostapha
02-12-2012, 07:09 PM
It's what made me think it was legit. Nope. I still like knobs and stuff better.

I'd rather have better control over fewer capabilities, but I completely understand why others would make different choices.

Jason Cerna
02-12-2012, 08:05 PM
i keep flipping back and forth on the subject. took me 5 years to switch from scratch live to traktor. now, i have my traktor and controllers dialed in so i don't really see myself moving to full on touchscreen for djing.

but, for ableton live, i am slowly seeing the benefits.

mostapha
02-13-2012, 08:15 AM
I could see the benefits for a DAW. Ableton performances (live PA, type, not DJ) could easily benefit from Griid. There are some cool emulations of MackieControl for the iPad as well. But I just don't get it.

nem0nic
02-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Touch interfaces are good for certain things, just like physical interfaces are good for certain things. Most people's problem is that they use either style of interface inappropriately. And to take the problem with touch screens a bit further, another issue is that they are rarely used to do anything but emulate hardware controls. This is what makes the Lemur app better than the TouchOSC app in my eyes. There's more possibility to create interesting interfaces that play into the benefits of touch in Lemur. Not so much in TouchOSC.

Jason Cerna
02-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Touch interfaces are good for certain things, just like physical interfaces are good for certain things. Most people's problem is that they use either style of interface inappropriately. And to take the problem with touch screens a bit further, another issue is that they are rarely used to do anything but emulate hardware controls. This is what makes the Lemur app better than the TouchOSC app in my eyes. There's more possibility to create interesting interfaces that play into the benefits of touch in Lemur. Not so much in TouchOSC.

oh yea, the Lemur app is lightyears ahead of touch osc. but for $5, its a good value and the price is low enough that you really won't miss it much if you do outgrow it.

login
02-14-2012, 12:47 AM
Did you already check out konkreete performer? I want to try it too

Liam
02-15-2012, 06:26 AM
I have an iPhone 4 and was considering trying some of these apps and see how i got on with them. There is also an iPad in the family home so i could try that, but i'm on the same boat as some of you guys, i prefer being able to physically touch an item and tweak it.

Ryan Ruel
02-17-2012, 01:23 PM
I have TouchOSC and Lemur. IMO Lemur is quite a bit more powerful. I love being able to send MIDI and OSC to multiple targets. You can have the same interface on the iOS device controlling different applications either on the same machine or even on different machines.

It also supports some pretty advanced scripting features.

Will MaXimal
02-17-2012, 02:42 PM
I have TouchOSC and Lemur. IMO Lemur is quite a bit more powerful. I love being able to send MIDI and OSC to multiple targets. You can have the same interface on the iOS device controlling different applications either on the same machine or even on different machines.

It also supports some pretty advanced scripting features.

+1 on the lemur

Andrew B
02-17-2012, 03:04 PM
+1 on the lemur

Did you get Lemur for iPad? Wondering if there are any differences between it and a Lemur.

Will MaXimal
02-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Did you get Lemur for iPad? Wondering if there are any differences between it and a Lemur.

I just got an iPad so i am going to probably look into it soon! Might be time to get together at Barbs and see what the fuss about Lemur for iPad is all about

Jason Cerna
02-21-2012, 01:41 AM
My iPhone/iPod touch template:

http://jasoncerna.com/main/traktor-touchosc

Will MaXimal
02-21-2012, 12:20 PM
My iPhone/iPod touch template:

http://jasoncerna.com/main/traktor-touchosc

Thanks JC!

I am going to give this a try tonight!