PDA

View Full Version : CDJ-1000mk3 VS CDJ-2000 Build Quality

decarto
06-23-2012, 09:12 PM
I've owned both and I'm wondering if anyone else feels that the build quality of the CDJ-1000Mk3 are better than CDJ-2000s?

One of my pet peeves on the 2000s is that the faceplate has a piano gloss finish and scratches very easily compared to the 1000s.

Thoughts?

Liam
06-24-2012, 06:13 AM
I agree I think the 1000 had a much better finish and not as prone to scratching. Most 2000s I've saw are in horrible condition even if the owner has taken good care of them.

Atomisk
06-26-2012, 05:30 AM
Although I have very limited experience with the 1000mk3, I do agree that it feels way better than the CDJ-2000. The 2000's jog wheel feels like its about to fall off and it seriously feels like a plastic toy. I have no idea how they don't break so easily :shrug:

Manu
06-26-2012, 05:45 AM
Funny that. They used to give more for more $$$, now it's getting towards less for more $$$. They should watch out for competitors like denon as they have a new range coming out, which ditched the rotating platter concept. If the money not spent on that platter is used somewhere else, then you should expect some serious quality coming up. Also if denon stops selling products that require updates to fix serious bugs and flaws, then it should do what it says on the tin.

I know that's a couple of ifs, but there is potential. I am a CDJ user but I've always have been more impressed by denon finish quality and built on their cd players. And sitting back at the moment, there's no way I would buy a brand new product if it's bound to look scratched and used in 6 months, purely because of terrible resale value.

Liam
06-26-2012, 05:56 AM
^ Couldn't agree more manu. I was looking at the review and demo of the new Denon SC2900 and it looks to be a good piece of kit. It has quite a lot of similar features of the CDJ2000 (yes a few years late but it's here). I think the build quality will be good. If Denon can make the software reliable i think a lot of people will go for it!

The only thing i don't really like about the new 2900 is the display. For something that's new they should have invested in a better display. It seems more like the 1000 display rather than 2000 or even the 900. Also i wonder if they have done away with those horrid rubber buttons.

Manu
06-26-2012, 06:18 AM
The only thing i don't really like about the new 2900 is the display. For something that's new they should have invested in a better display. It seems more like the 1000 display rather than 2000 or even the 900. Also i wonder if they have done away with those horrid rubber buttons.

You will always get a niggle or 2 somewhere. Personally I don't care much about the display, as long as I can navigate and find my tracks not only quickly but easily. Along with a couple of bits of info such as reversed track time showing how long you have left, and the pitch range then that's about it. Another thing they could improve is by not having settings hidden in submenus, it can get a little complicated if you're looking for something specific without knowing where to go. As in not as instinctive to use as a pioneer CDJ that is a lot more simple.

brichi
06-26-2012, 07:41 AM
1000's definitely built A LOT better then the 2000's. I own both and maintain both myself. In all honesty, they should have kept the whole 1000 shell and moving moving parts and just changed the boards and screen :)

the 2000 uses different designed parts for the whole platter rotation and it feels worse now then the 1000,

Connor
06-26-2012, 01:11 PM
One thing concerning me about the new Denon players is that sync button, are the SC2900/3900 going to have autosync?

brichi
06-26-2012, 01:20 PM
bpm sync is just to keep the bpm locked, not really beat sync as you mix, if deck 1 is a 130bpm and you load a 127bpm into deck 2, it will automatically jump the bpm to 130, someone please correct me if I am wrong but from what I have read, thats the point of it

Manu
06-26-2012, 01:27 PM
:lol: that qualifies as autosync last time I checked

brichi
06-26-2012, 01:31 PM
hahahahaha, true! but some of them go as far as actually syncing to a beat as u mix, not that I ever use it, 2000's with RB only for me :)

decarto
06-26-2012, 11:51 PM
Good to know I am not alone.

That being said, I'm glad I got rid of my 2000s and now I have one 1000mk3 and looking for another.

I think what Pioneer did was sacrifice the build quality of the 2000 to put in a fancy screen and all this other tech. Hopefully for 2000mk2 they can keep all that tech and up the build quality.

DJNR
06-27-2012, 03:04 AM
hahahahaha, true! but some of them go as far as actually syncing to a beat as u mix, not that I ever use it, 2000's with RB only for me :)

There are two types of sync: beat sync and auto sync. Auto sync is tempo, beat sync is down to the beat. I wasn't aware that CD players could beat sync.

Anyways, I agree with the whole Denon business. They are making some pretty convincing stuff; now we wait to see if it delivers.

Ryan Ruel
06-28-2012, 05:36 AM
Mine have held up well, but yes they really need to be better built for the money.

I always hated the platter speed dials... they flex back and forth, and since they stick out I'm surprised they don't get broken off more often. Not that you adjust them much (at least I don't), it just seems odd.

This goes for most of their products, however. I also have a DJM-900 Nexus, plastic sides, flimsy mic knobs, etc. etc. If A&H can make a profit off their built-like-a-tank units, Pioneer should strive for better. The problem is, they aren't hurting for business, they won't change a thing.

Liam
06-28-2012, 06:29 AM
This goes for most of their products, however. I also have a DJM-900 Nexus, plastic sides, flimsy mic knobs, etc. etc. If A&H can make a profit off their built-like-a-tank units, Pioneer should strive for better. The problem is, they aren't hurting for business, they won't change a thing.

Yeah pretty much this. The A&H DB4 is a monster of a mixer. It's built like all their other stuff (solid), sometimes wish Pioneer would do the same! I have a DJM700 and i know it's the cheaper 4 channel but it's still shocking how badly it's built. I even think the DJM600 is better built than it!

Irrational_Fear
06-28-2012, 08:02 AM
Yeah pretty much this. The A&H DB4 is a monster of a mixer. It's built like all their other stuff (solid), sometimes wish Pioneer would do the same! I have a DJM700 and i know it's the cheaper 4 channel but it's still shocking how badly it's built. I even think the DJM600 is better built than it!

I've not had any experience with the A&H mixers but I was looking at a DJM700 before I got my Denon dn-x1600- the gulf in build quality even between those two was quite something, the Denon feels like a solid metallic brick compared to the Pioneer!

DJ Highline
06-28-2012, 09:45 AM
Funny that. They used to give more for more $$$, now it's getting towards less for more $$$. They should watch out for competitors like denon as they have a new range coming out, which ditched the rotating platter concept. If the money not spent on that platter is used somewhere else, then you should expect some serious quality coming up. Also if denon stops selling products that require updates to fix serious bugs and flaws, then it should do what it says on the tin.

I know that's a couple of ifs, but there is potential. I am a CDJ user but I've always have been more impressed by denon finish quality and built on their cd players. And sitting back at the moment, there's no way I would buy a brand new product if it's bound to look scratched and used in 6 months, purely because of terrible resale value.

Why do so many people think they ditched the spinning platter? They added a static platter...the SC3900 (spinning platter) is still the flagship right now. As far as firmware updates, as far as I know Denon was the first to offer this ability that everyone does now and the CDJ-2000 needed a ton of firmware updates as well so I don't see what your point is. Also the SC29000 is about $100 cheaper than the SC3900.

^ Couldn't agree more manu. I was looking at the review and demo of the new Denon SC2900 and it looks to be a good piece of kit. It has quite a lot of similar features of the CDJ2000 (yes a few years late but it's here). I think the build quality will be good. If Denon can make the software reliable i think a lot of people will go for it!

The fact of the matter is that the S3700 had most of the features that the CDJ-2000 has and was a decent competitor. The SC3900 just crushes it. Now I do agree that they should have included a larger built in color screen like the CDJ-2000 but they opted for the engine/I-Pad route which then gives you the biggest screen out there...which I am OK with.

While the build of the CDJ-2000 seems to be holding up, there is something to be said for the physiological presence of metal and mass especially when it cost almost $2000.

Blueprint
06-28-2012, 11:59 AM
you guys do know that rarely does pioneer make a perfect MK1 of anything right? Think of the CDJ2000 as the mk1, in other words, think how much better the entire CDJ1000mk(1-3) line improved after the third revision.

It's just the typical Pioneer way, not bad in any way, it's just that they made an entirely new cdj and have to work towards making it better.

I owned the CDJ800mk1, CDJ1000mk2, and now own the CDJ1000mk3 pair and I can see the obvious improvements from even the 1000mk2 to the 1000mk3 - even if you can't.

Connor
06-28-2012, 02:05 PM
you guys do know that rarely does pioneer make a perfect MK1 of anything right? Think of the CDJ2000 as the mk1, in other words, think how much better the entire CDJ1000mk(1-3) line improved after the third revision.

It's just the typical Pioneer way, not bad in any way, it's just that they made an entirely new cdj and have to work towards making it better.

I owned the CDJ800mk1, CDJ1000mk2, and now own the CDJ1000mk3 pair and I can see the obvious improvements from even the 1000mk2 to the 1000mk3 - even if you can't.

My 1000 MK2 is so far superior to my MK1, visual cue, +100% pitch, no lag when setting fine cue points using the seek button, better jogwheel, the list goes on.

Blueprint
06-28-2012, 05:59 PM
exactly my point^

when they release the second or maybe if they go as far as the third for this, it'll be MUCH better.

Sublim&All
06-30-2012, 12:18 PM
it's just that they made an entirely new cdj and have to work towards making it better.

Well I wouldn't say ENTIRELY new, the basis and the layout are still greatly the same, apart from some new features.

And shouldn't they just make a good unit the first time?