PDA

View Full Version : Roboscan bulbs are expensive, LED mod?

DJ Higgumz
06-23-2012, 06:00 PM
i have 5 roboscans that a couple of them are getting dim. i looked at the price of light bulbs, and they cost like 130$ for the brightest ones (1200 lux). that had me thinking, what if i was to fit some led's in there? I would put resistors at the right voltage. they use a "striker" for the bulbs, not sure what that means, i could hook the leds to the leads from where the bulb connects. i would contruct the correct reflectors to direct the light, add the correct resistors, but from an electronic standpoint will it work or will i fry my pcb? my goal is brighter and long life.

i'm not too concerned about power draw, but it would be cool to just get rid of the striker and ballast if it has one, save on weight, and then hopefully current

i'm probably sounding noobish :teef:

Synaxis
06-23-2012, 06:34 PM
I wouldn't risk it. Most halogen lights have specific light bulb requirements for a reason.

Where exactly were you planning on buying these LEDs?

djscrizzle
06-23-2012, 06:54 PM
The Martin Roboscan uses a HID Discharge lightbulb. LEDs would be fried the first time that ballast sent out 0.5 to 1kV to strike the bulb.

http://www.martin.com/product/product.asp?product=roboscan812 <--- check the manual, there's several warnings regarding UV radiation and that it's a discharge fixture.

DJ Higgumz
06-23-2012, 08:30 PM
What if I was to bypass all of the pcb, and just run power from the power plug to the LEDs? Would the absence of a bulb cause a problem for the striker and/or power supply?

In the 812 there is mechanical strobing, from what I know, the bulb stays on the whole time it's on except in dmx; I think there is a dmx on off slider. I can live w/o that

djscrizzle
06-23-2012, 08:49 PM
May work; wouldnt bank on it... The discharge bulb will outshine just about any LED array commonly available on the market at the moment. 1200 Lumens is way brighter than any of the LED stuff out now.

DJ Higgumz
06-23-2012, 08:52 PM
what about moving heads? they reach like 4,000 and up! thats with a 40 watt diode

DJ Higgumz
06-23-2012, 08:58 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-20W-White-High-brightness-1700LM-Energy-Saving-Led-y-/251090419147?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7627bdcb#ht_2224wt_962 would this be the right type of led? it says 1700 lumen

sss18734
06-23-2012, 10:01 PM
This really isn't worth getting into... Sell your Roboscans and get LED scanners instead.

windspeed36
06-23-2012, 10:13 PM
To make those sort of electrical modifications you'll have to no doubt get your work checked by an electrician which will cost you a bit. I'd just buy the bulbs and be done with it.

DJ Higgumz
06-23-2012, 11:04 PM
I love the lights though, but dont like the price of the bulbs. How much could I get for each?

DJ Higgumz
06-30-2012, 03:01 PM
well i took apart my "parts" roboscan, there is 220v running to the igniter and ballast. I can take out the ballast and igniter, and run a attenuator or resistor to get the right voltage for the led. I will be doing alot more reading on led's before I execute, but it looks like I can run it straight from the leads originally going to the ballast asy (and save 5 lbs!!). there are also teminals for 10.5v, 24v, 100v, 110v, and 120v, but I want to stick with the 220 from the pcb because it has a delayed start, so when the color/gobo wheels reset on startup they won't be seen.

currently looking at maybe 30/40 watt smd leds, like this one http://www.hero-ledstore.com/heroled-40-watt-32003600-lumen-high-power-cool-white-led-60006500k-p-3321.html

Biggerrigger
07-22-2012, 12:17 PM
In order to run high power led's you will need a power supply rated for constant use. A driver purpose built for the led and proper heat sinking for the led or you will fry it in a matter of seconds. I'm not saying it cannot be done but you have to do some serious homework and be capable of making the swap with safety and reliability in mind.

sss18734
07-22-2012, 12:28 PM
You're not seriously still considering this, are you?

DJ Higgumz
07-22-2012, 03:09 PM
Yeah I have the heat sink stuff figured out, and I am building my own drivers for it. I can adjust how bright I want it, with a pwm I am incorporating. I did find a bulb for 45$ somewhere, and I will get that if I can go through pay pal, because I can get the led to work, but I am afraid I will loose alot of light due to it not fitting in the reflector. What I can see is buying one setup, and if it doesn't work I would use the LED on a strobe or something; idk I'll find a use!

djMashMills
08-16-2013, 05:49 AM
Yeah I have the heat sink stuff figured out, and I am building my own drivers for it. I can adjust how bright I want it, with a pwm I am incorporating. I did find a bulb for 45$ somewhere, and I will get that if I can go through pay pal, because I can get the led to work, but I am afraid I will loose alot of light due to it not fitting in the reflector. What I can see is buying one setup, and if it doesn't work I would use the LED on a strobe or something; idk I'll find a use!

I might be able to pick up some roboscans for cheap. Just wanted to find out if you went ahead with the LED conversion and if you did, how did it work out for you? Are you happy with the light and would you consider it a viable project? Look forward to hearing your reply!

DjNeedleSharp
08-20-2013, 09:55 PM
I'm actually really surprised that nobody has made an LED conversion kit yet... They have LED bulbs for household use that don't require anything other than screwing in the new bulb. Why wouldn't it be that easy for halogen bulbs on theater/DJ lighting? (non strike based lamps)

DJzrule
08-20-2013, 11:23 PM
I'm actually really surprised that nobody has made an LED conversion kit yet... They have LED bulbs for household use that don't require anything other than screwing in the new bulb. Why wouldn't it be that easy for halogen bulbs on theater/DJ lighting? (non strike based lamps)

Because it's not as simple as a swap of bulb. Even with halogen fixtures there's very specific and precise aiming and optics to achieve a proper projection with minimum hotspot. To do it with multiple LED bulbs crammed into say an MR16 base would be a whole new optical system.

robare99
08-21-2013, 01:34 PM
No better time than the present to move to new LED fixtures. It's always nice to announce a "this just in" or something on the website.

That being said, I LOVE my Minimacs Profiles.

;)

BillESC
08-21-2013, 04:09 PM
Why re-invent the wheel?

Sell the Robo Scans and buy LED moving heads. There are units that are brighter and have more features than your fixtures.