PDA

View Full Version : Hardware VA Synths

mostapha
02-09-2012, 01:06 PM
So…I'm not ready to buy yet. It'll be some time this summer. But, does anyone have any legitimate comparisons of the big (affordable) VA synths that I could maybe start looking for used. Please don't suggest soft synths. I've tried the big ones and mostly can't get good results out of them because I seem to have a mental block against turning knobs with a mouse.

Big considerations:

http://www.digisales.eu/assets/images/clavia-nord-rack2x.jpg
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/3894-korg-ms2000br-large.jpg
http://www.korg.com/uploads/Images/RADIAS-R_634329457466750000.png
http://www.vengeance-sound.com/produktmedien-ja/soundsets-access-virus.png

Yes, I'm only talking about one of them. And I know the TI2 is a "better" synth, but it's probably a bit out of my price range.

Big selling points/needs:

A good, extensive arpeggiator would be really cool.

Rhythm-based parameter locks (or something like that) would be cool, but again, I might be able to do that with Maschine.

Sound I'm looking for:

General subtractive synth sounds. Variability is the key. I'm considering getting either a Minibrute or Minitaur as well, so the warm monophonic bass sound would be covered. I also know the Radias is basically an updated MS-2000B, but price is sorta-kinda a factor and I do like the sounds I've heard come out of it. Lots of control on the unit itself without too many menus is a need.

My favorite soft synth so far is Aivd Hybrid, I just hated controlling it with the mouse and never had the right controller for it…you know, if that matters, since I think most people haven't really used it.

I'll be recording into Logic/PT10 or sampling into Maschine, not that it matters too much, or just playing it with Maschine. And producing something like Deep House at the moment, though I'd like to be able to use it for Chicago/Funky house and Breaks as well. I'll probably be buying a preamp of some kind with it as well (leader ATM is 2 channels of GAP73s, which are Neve 1073 clones) and would like to say I'm going to get compressors as well, but I probably won't afford that in hardware.

Comments from anyone who's used more than one of them, the sounds you got out of them, experience working with them…that'd be appreciated as well as suggestions for things that I haven't considered yet.

I don't need a keyboard and am specifically looking for rack/tabletop units. I have my crappy keyboard as well as access to an ePiano that outputs MIDI and has fully weighted, sprung keys that actually feels like a crappy piano instead of a crappy keyboard…if I ever learn how to play Piano. I'll probably have Maschine outputting MIDI and recording the audio into a DAW or sampling sounds off playing it with a KB into Maschine.

And, again, I'm not interested in soft synths. I'm up to my ears in soft synths that I can't get good sounds out of. And, I have gotten better results playing sampled waveforms in Maschine's sampler (which has a similar routing/control structure to these…amp envelop, filter envelop, a sync'd or free LFO, Overdrive, velocity -> stuff, modwheel -> stuff, etc.).

login
02-09-2012, 01:27 PM
I dont have much experience with, but from what you are listing as your need I would add Nord lead 3 cause it has an arpegiator and sonically can get further than nord lead 2x.

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/NR3topLarge-b0c4f821ab5a4b9f05fa0fc7cde2c20b.jpg

thehadgi
02-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Hrm... I've only really gotten to work with the moog voyager, and that might be a bit out of your price range too, along with the ti2. but i have heard good thing about the nord also ^^

ilya
02-09-2012, 04:13 PM
http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/prph.php - i know you said you're mostly looking for a tabletop but personally, I'd take a quick look at/check some demos of the prophecy too. doesn't get a lot of outward hype and definitely not as knobby as other VAs you listed but that's partially just a result of its age. i've only heard positive things about its sound and versatility, not to mention you can probably find one without too much trouble for $300-350

mostapha
02-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Login, have you actually used the nord lead 3 or was that based on conjecture or other forum posts? Based on what I've seen so far, they're pretty close in price and functionality with a few small changes. I'd have to read the manuals before I chose between them (which I'm going to do for all the synths before I buy). Has that been your experience as well?

Alan, The voyager is a completely different kind of beast. For one, it costs 3-5 times as much as anything mentioned in this thread. So, thanks, but I'm going to hold of on investing that much 'till I know working with hardware will do what I want. How was your experience with the TI2?

@ilya, That thing is a joke. It's not that I don't respect Korg or your idea or that I'm dead set on not having a KB. It's just that you say "not as knobby", I say "worthless." For me, it's no better than the 20 or so soft synths I've tried. I'm completely sure that I have the soft synths to make any sound that anything mentioned in this thread could do. The knobs are the point.

login
02-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Login, have you actually used the nord lead 3 or was that based on conjecture or other forum posts? Based on what I've seen so far, they're pretty close in price and functionality with a few small changes. I'd have to read the manuals before I chose between them (which I'm going to do for all the synths before I buy). Has that been your experience as well?

I have used lead 2 and 2x, but since you stated you wanted a good arpegiator I sugested the 3.

The leads are easy to use and sound pretty good, it has character. Features are not that close in reality between 2 and 3, the 3 has more filter modes and FM capabilities.

PONTUS.2
02-10-2012, 02:09 AM
i feel you on that mouse shit.

hardware >

login
02-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Today I tested a waldorf microwave XT, I am gonna exchange it for my machinedrum and some money. Also check it out, it has pretty good features and they go for 600-800.