PDA

View Full Version : Channel 2 is all but dead.

DJ_Detroit
06-21-2012, 08:25 PM
I purchased two turntables, and a mixer for real cheap a few months back. $40. I have 2 gemini xl-300 tables, and a gemini ps-626i mixer. When I got it all I knew it wouldn't be perfect. So I put in a fader, and that helped out the issues I had there. Well my issues now is channel is all but dead now. I get very little sound out of it, and I believe it is the rca inputs. Is there a way to fix this or am I going to be burying this mixer?

TeLLy
06-22-2012, 05:45 AM
Unless you know your electronics, taking it in to get it fixed will cost more than you paid. I'd say get the shovel then plan for a new mixer.

DJ_Detroit
06-22-2012, 10:33 AM
I am pretty good with electronics. I'm gonna do an ohm test on the rca inputs to see if that tests out ok or not. I am looking at another mixer though.

djpenguin
06-22-2012, 12:14 PM
The RCA inputs are just jacks on the back of the unit. If you're losing signal and it's been slowly degrading over time, the channel fader is the far more likely culprit.

DJ_Detroit
06-22-2012, 09:44 PM
I really didn't want to hear that one. I don't know if I can replace that.

ampnation
06-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Sorry to say but you probably need to start looking to replace it. If you're looking for a good value instead of just the lowest price up front, look at the Denon DN-X120. It'll cost a little more out of the gate, but last longer and give a much better user experience than the Gemini. It is 2 channel vs. 3 though if you need at least 3 channels, the best option I can think of is a used Ecler Nuo 3 (the precursor to the 3.0) which would be even more but you can probably find for about $250 or more if you keep looking. The X120 can be found used too. The higher quality mixers are not as much of a crap shoot when buying used btw.

One other option if you need more than 2 channels is the X500 which is rackmount so probably not what you want. It can be found for $250 all the time on ebay and is an excellent mixer. This is my primary mixer. I bought mine new but if I hadn't been in a hurry, I would have bought a used one for sure.

Also, I hear older Numark DM mixers are really solid.

DJ_Detroit
06-22-2012, 10:54 PM
The first channel is honestly just for the mic, the crossfader honestly does nothing to it so a 2 channel will work just fine. I looked at the x120, but didnt know if it was any good, and I did look at some Ecler mixers. Other than some Pioneer, and Vestax I really don't know where to look. Just don't have the money for a 909 or a T1 right now. Thanks for all of that. I'm gonna look at the x120 a little bit more now.

DJ_Detroit
06-22-2012, 11:23 PM
I may get a used DJM 350 or 400 and put an innofader in it.

DJ_Detroit
07-21-2012, 08:11 PM
So uhh I am bumping this thread to to say that I have fixed the issue. Part of the issue was I went full retard. Never go full retard. The old receiver I use in my house as a temp amp I hit the tape monitor button pretty much muting all sound. I just learned this a month later last night.

TeLLy
07-23-2012, 02:19 PM
So uhh I am bumping this thread to to say that I have fixed the issue. Part of the issue was I went full retard. Never go full retard. The old receiver I use in my house as a temp amp I hit the tape monitor button pretty much muting all sound. I just learned this a month later last night.

Glad to hear. If you wouldn't mind sharing how you fixed the retard issue? I'm still stuck in full retard mode and have tried everything but I can't turn it off.

VjQue
07-24-2012, 12:41 PM
[/COLOR]
Glad to hear. If you wouldn't mind sharing how you fixed the retard issue? I'm still stuck in full retard mode and have tried everything but I can't turn it off. I hit the tape monitor button pretty much muting all sound.

This is what he did

TeLLy
07-24-2012, 12:50 PM
LOL my hardware works fine. I'm just a retard :). I blame weed.