PDA

View Full Version : upselling Gobo monogram projection

sobi
06-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Pretty simple and straight forward... I'm wondering how much you guys charge for Gobo projection for weddings? I've checked out prices for gobos, and the cheapest I've seen is about 80 bucks. Doesn't seem like there's much room to get a gobo, and still turn a decent profit.

drzinc
06-20-2012, 11:54 PM
Use a dlp projector and a cheap netbook. Then do your own gobos in your photo / illistrator type software of choice.

Nick_EventPro
06-21-2012, 08:21 AM
It works out to be around $400-$500 for a monogram after charges for the monogram creation, projector, stand/truss to mount it on, cabling, and labor.

DJ Donnie Lewis
06-21-2012, 08:44 AM
We harger 150 but are raising our rates to 175 next year. If they want a glass gobo its 450$

Sween
06-21-2012, 08:48 AM
I do $350... but I will cut it to $250 if they are already paying me for a lighting system that has fixtures that can handle a gobo.

BillESC
06-21-2012, 09:44 AM
I create and ship over 350 custom steel gobos every year. Most of my clients are getting $ 150.00 or more. Your market area would be one of the higher priced I should think.

spicaly
06-21-2012, 09:50 AM
anyone use the nlfx pro gobo service? i just got some intimidator 300 leds and they have replaceable gobo's and they seem to have the lowest price

BillESC
06-21-2012, 11:19 AM
I rep for Apollo Design which to my knowledge is the only gobo manufacture that laser etches the gobos as apposed to acid etching. A much more enviromently friendly process. It costs a little more but the product is better and Art Proofs are always free.

Check out this great wedding gobo selling tool.

http://downloads.goapollo.com/Gobo%20Wedding%20Template%202011.pdf

sobi
06-21-2012, 05:09 PM
It works out to be around $400-$500 for a monogram after charges for the monogram creation, projector, stand/truss to mount it on, cabling, and labor.

You charge clients 400-500 dollars?

BillESC
06-21-2012, 09:03 PM

Again, it depends upon your market and the level of customer your service attracts. If you're a DJ that charges $ 400.00 for a wedding you won't get 4 or 5 hundred for a gobo. If your service starts say at $ 1200.00 or more then adding several hundred for a custom gobo isn't much of a stretch.

Nick_EventPro
06-22-2012, 12:04 AM
Yes, after its all said and done it will easily cost clients in that range. Again, that includes design, cutting the gobo, the rental of the light fixture, rental of whatever rigging is necessary to hang it, a portion of the cabling costs to power it, a portion of the labor costs to hang it, and a portion of the transportation costs to get the equipment to the venue.

Again, it depends upon your market and the level of customer your service attracts. If you're a DJ that charges $ 400.00 for a wedding you won't get 4 or 5 hundred for a gobo. If your service starts say at $ 1200.00 or more then adding several hundred for a custom gobo isn't much of a stretch.
^This. I am in a good market, but nothing like a NY, FL, or CA type market. Unless its a dry rental, I have a $1,500 minimum. (sometimes I'll drop this to 1,000 under certain circumstances) It's not uncommon for clients to spend 2-5k for me to produce an event, sometimes more. Feel free to check out our work- www.facebook.com/eventprolive

I don't say any of that to brag about the rate I charge- believe me there are plenty more expensive than me (and getting it), but more to back up what Bill is trying to say. It totally depends on the type of client you cater to. I have a ton of money invested into not only gear, but the brand itself. It takes a good bit of money to sustain an operation at a certain level so I can't charge any less, in fact I just went through a rate increase and I'm planning another.

sobi
06-22-2012, 10:58 AM
ok... I'm very new to this at some level. I've been a club DJ for 15 years now. Recently, I decided to get into the wedding side of things with a couple of guys I know. Personally, that seems expensive, but I fully understand what I think has nothing to do with the reality of things... I'm open to the fact that I have a lot to learn. What do you guys suggest for who to go to for gobos? I'll probably just be using my Q spot 260s. I haven't seen too many gobo projectors that I think will have that professional look (when factoring in cost where and how it fits into my setup, and what I still want to acquire), and I've been thinking about adding another couple of q spots (currently have 2), so this seems like a natural progression. I figure dinner can have a couple of slow moving/rotating gobos, the monogram out of 1, and another putting some dark color behind/on top of the monogram.

BillESC
06-23-2012, 05:24 PM
We make gobos for the 260 but keep in mind, the small size of the gobo will limit the abount of information (graphics) that can be used.

sobi
06-26-2012, 01:08 PM
We make gobos for the 260 but keep in mind, the small size of the gobo will limit the abount of information (graphics) that can be used.

Bill, any specifics of what those limits are? I wouldn't be looking to do anything beyond names or 3 letter monograms with the q spots. Do you think there would be issues with that?

Nick_EventPro
06-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Bill, any specifics of what those limits are? I wouldn't be looking to do anything beyond names or 3 letter monograms with the q spots. Do you think there would be issues with that?

No, you won't have any issues with initials or names.
The monograms in this album were done with a qspot 260
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eventprolive/sets/72157629412366249/

sobi
06-26-2012, 05:51 PM
wow... bill had me worried, but it looks like they handle plenty on a small gobo.

BillESC
06-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Nick is correct. When the B&G want a busy gobo or one with long names on the same line is where the issue arises. Often, long names will have to be stacked, or dates changed to 6.22.12 instead of June 22, 2012.

Better you know before you sell a custom gobo that can't be reproduced.

ibringthenoise
06-26-2012, 08:46 PM
We charge 295 for a metal gobo and projector but we have a 500 minimum on lighting. Half the issue with gobos is having mounting apparatus that will elevate the projector securely. Tripods are often not a good idea as the gobo may need to be projected from a part of the room that has lots of foot traffic.

wedding gobo (http://www.djcraig.net/wedding-gobo)

spicaly
06-27-2012, 10:31 PM
anyone use the nlfx pro gobo service? i just got some intimidator 300 leds and they have replaceable gobo's and they seem to have the lowest price

just a follow up to my previous question.... i placed my order with nlfx on the 21st and it arrived today, pretty damm fast considering I didnt request a rush order or anything

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg831/scaled.php?server=831&filename=img20120627193528.jpg&res=landing

sorry for the low quality pic this was taken with my cell phone

BillESC
06-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Just a note.

If I receive artwork by noon I can ship the same day without a rush charge.

DJ Donnie Lewis
06-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Just a note.

If I receive artwork by noon I can ship the same day without a rush charge.

Bill. Do you have a catalogue of artwork? I'd like a paper copy for planning meetings

wapples
08-02-2012, 07:53 AM
I charge $120 AUD ($100USD) thats for an old Martin Image Scan Iam still needing a remote for it as Iam sick of tunining it with a the Dip switches. For that price I cut the the gobo. I use a standard ROLAND Vinyl cutter cut the name or logo out on black vinyl then attach to clear transparent paper and slide into the holder. No complaints yetIf I need to change the colour I simply add the required gel filter although WHITE is always the best

BillESC
08-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Bill. Do you have a catalogue of artwork? I'd like a paper copy for planning meetings

http://downloads.goapollo.com/Gobo%20Wedding%20Template%202011.pdf

trauma11
08-13-2012, 03:08 PM
I charge $200, gobo included, assuming it's going with a lighting package. Additional costs for travel, labor and additional equipment for monogram only.