PDA

View Full Version : Nuo5, and why don't they make it anymore!?

monomer
06-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Honestly.

The best mixer I've owned, or even played on.

It what pioneer wishes it could be It's what the xone 92 wishes it was manufactured as. All that, AND I didn't even play with the effects yet. My only real gripe is the channel fader curve, but it's still more then workable. It's replaced the AEM100i as the bedroom mixer. If I ever get to be a big name: and ecler will be on my rider. I'll almost refuse to play on the doorstop people call the 92. Pioneer: the efx are annoying and the mixers just don't sound good.

Call me picky, but this things all I wanted and then some. I'd LOVE to play on an evo, but all the mixers locally are pioneers. Damn shame.

It may come off as a long rant, but I'm floored that this mixer ended up in my studio.

Estacy
06-20-2012, 12:20 AM
The Nuo 5 is indeed a great mixer, but it doesn't keep up with modern mixers effects wise. But in build quality, it surpasses the Xone and Pioneer, definitely. The Evo 5 and Evo 4 fill the gap quite nicely, the evo 4 is relatively cheap and of the same quality as the Evo 5.

oliosky
06-20-2012, 12:57 AM
Ecler DJ division has been on hiatus for quite some time it appears :(

Nicadraus
06-20-2012, 06:16 AM
I used to have a Nuo5 and an EVO5 set up in my room about 5-6 years ago when the company I worked for brought Ecler here. I really enjoyed both mixers and I love the EQs.

Estacy
06-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Ecler DJ division has been on hiatus for quite some time it appears :(
I got in touch with the distributor here, Ecler has seized all R&D for their DJ department, and they now focus primarily on installation equipment, like zone mixers and systems, loudspeakers, processing etc.
they continue to make DJ mixers though

richard stringer
06-21-2012, 03:53 PM
I've personally never liked Ecler equipment, their power amplifiers weren't that great, their dj mixers to my ears were always a bit cold sounding, not as bad as Vestax but still nothing as warm as Rane and Rodec, but hey each to their own. I used to have a professional recording studio and tested quite a few mixers in my studio which was specially treated with acoustic material and to my ears the Ecler mixers sounded cold'ish.

monomer
06-23-2012, 05:00 PM
I've personally never liked Ecler equipment, their power amplifiers weren't that great, their dj mixers to my ears were always a bit cold sounding, not as bad as Vestax but still nothing as warm as Rane and Rodec, but hey each to their own. I used to have a professional recording studio and tested quite a few mixers in my studio which was specially treated with acoustic material and to my ears the Ecler mixers sounded cold'ish.

To your ears.

A mixer, when set flat should add no colouration. The difficulty is the phono pre's and the impedance of the carts.

It sounds fine to my ears, although it's never been plugged into my rig.

richard stringer
06-25-2012, 04:28 AM
My ears back then were finely tuned because of the sheer time I spent in my recording studio, my mixes back then sounded as good as any mixe done in a million pound studio. Most dj's and general people's ears are acustomed to the sound of hi-fi, tv etc...when I first started my studio audio sounded dull and lifeless, but then after a while they became tuned to the recording studio sound from proper monitors when a studio has been acoustically treated, and I could hear extremely fine detail which virtually none of my friends could hear. I heard the Ecler mixers sound as slightly cold, and all eq WAS set flat. My carts had nothing to do with it, I had the same carts on all throughout testing of the different dj mixers. To my ears and the ears of one of my friends who also had a studio the Ecler sounded slightly cold and lifeless and the Rane TTM56 and Allen & Heath Xone 02 had a slightly warmer, more defined sound with better clarity. The Vestax PMC05pro was the worst, god that sounded very cold and lifeless, and the clarity wasn't even in the same ballpark as the Rane and Allen & Heath.

Estacy
06-25-2012, 05:33 AM
In my opinion Ecler sound very neutral, they don't add anything. I have a Freevox DJ club (up there in the league of bozak) and it sounds much warmer, its got really well defined warm bass, but Eclers don't sound bad at all. Especially compared to mixers in its priceclass.

monomer
06-25-2012, 10:14 AM
My ears back then were finely tuned because of the sheer time I spent in my recording studio, my mixes back then sounded as good as any mixe done in a million pound studio. Most dj's and general people's ears are acustomed to the sound of hi-fi, tv etc...when I first started my studio audio sounded dull and lifeless, but then after a while they became tuned to the recording studio sound from proper monitors when a studio has been acoustically treated, and I could hear extremely fine detail which virtually none of my friends could hear. I heard the Ecler mixers sound as slightly cold, and all eq WAS set flat. My carts had nothing to do with it, I had the same carts on all throughout testing of the different dj mixers. To my ears and the ears of one of my friends who also had a studio the Ecler sounded slightly cold and lifeless and the Rane TTM56 and Allen & Heath Xone 02 had a slightly warmer, more defined sound with better clarity. The Vestax PMC05pro was the worst, god that sounded very cold and lifeless, and the clarity wasn't even in the same ballpark as the Rane and Allen & Heath.

Until I see graphs, It's an opinion.

alen_p
06-25-2012, 03:53 PM
I still own and play on the very first Nuo 5 imported in US, :)))...thanks to djforums.com and one of its Canadian members, Johnny Trice (not sure if he's still active on DJF 2.0)...in my opinion, to this day it is the best I've ever played on, and I played on most Xone's, Pioneers, Vestax, and Rane mixers...my friend swears his Mackie sounds better (we agreed to compare it one of these days side by side), and he also claims Urei is unprecedented when it comes to sound quality, but those are rare boards, with very few features....I honestly never saw one, let alone played on it.

I feel you on the upfader curve, I wish I could change that too, and maybe add independent channel LED VU meters, but even whithout it, I would never sell mine, not for triple money I paid for it!!!

Capitan
06-25-2012, 04:53 PM
...my mixes back then sounded as good as any mixe done in a million pound studio.

How stupid of them to spend millions on their studios then.

Makes you wonder why they bother doesn't it :rolleyes:

phikticious
06-28-2012, 10:47 AM
I have en EVO-4 and while I like the fader curve. At least for drum & bass and dubstep, if you flick up and down the fader it sounds pretty fantastic. Another option than using the crossfader.

I think the eclers have the best EQs and faders out of any mixer. But really, the effects on the EVO-4 are not the best. Like a flanger. It sounds like I hooked a korg kaoss pad up and have the wet/dry only half way up or something.

The 4 endless pots used for MIDI only are really nice, however.

phikticious
06-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Also, I'm selling my EVO-4 (it's 2 months old, has original packaging) if anyone wants it. $1000 Canadian. :)