PDA

View Full Version : Do you think there will be another 4 band EQ 'Club Standard' Mixer?

noize_unit
06-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Or do you think there is even a need? i own a 42 atm trying to sell (shameless plug :eek:) to upgrade to a upper echelon of mixer, the 92 is still being used alot and is big with minmal/tech DJs i see, was wondering what you guys thought, if there is a need for another 4 band EQ update or is 4 band EQ a thing of the past.

Your thoughts...

Era 7
06-19-2012, 12:39 PM
i don't really think it is necessary and seeing that even A&H moved away from the concept...well.

djpenguin
06-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Personally, I don't like 4-band EQs. I didn't like them on the MP-24, and I didn't like them on the Xone:92. It seems like every manufacturer that plays with 4-band EQ releases one or two mixers with it, then goes back to doing 3-band like everyone else, so I'm guessing that the commercial marketplace doesn't place a lot of value on that particular feature.

Estacy
06-19-2012, 01:40 PM
I don't believe in the 4 band EQ. I don't like it, I much prefer 3 band. its faster, easier and leaves room for more stuff on the faceplate

a 3 way isolator on the master should be coming back though, but then again, you'd probably see DJ's boosting them all to gain more 'volume'

Nicadraus
06-19-2012, 01:53 PM
I don't like 4 band EQs as well. 3 band is enough for tweaking on the fly for me.

Andrew B
06-19-2012, 01:54 PM
I love four band EQs, but I can't see them ever coming back.

mostapha
06-19-2012, 02:16 PM
:stupid:

Well…I love the high-mid EQ on the 62 and 92. I could take or leave the rest of it. But any mid EQ that was fairly narrow and around 1-2k would be fine too. But having it that high limits everything else you'd use the mid for and makes the high shelf basically useless as well.

noize_unit
06-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Im with andrew and mostapha, although i have yet to play on the 92 i did play on a buds 62, its understandable why there arent more (or possibly ever again) but in certain situations the amount of control and possibilities can be a very cool thing, so i guess i can go either way (have 3 band eq on my 42) but the idea behind 4 band eq is what i like i guess.

Buszaj
06-19-2012, 09:00 PM
I would love to have another 4 band EQ mixer. I like having finer control in my EQing. It helps me to pick out certain elements during a mix. I honestly wouldn't even mind seeing a DJ mixer with a parametric EQ :P But I can't see anyone fitting that in nicely on a mixer, and you need to have some basic audio knowledge to make proper use of it. Plenty of DJF members seem to have it...but most DJs out there don't.

djpenguin
06-19-2012, 10:17 PM
I honestly wouldn't even mind seeing a DJ mixer with a parametric EQ :P But I can't see anyone fitting that in nicely on a mixer, and you need to have some basic audio knowledge to make proper use of it. Plenty of DJF members seem to have it...but most DJs out there don't.

The Tascam X-9 had semi-parametric EQs (fixed Q.) It came out a little over ten years ago.

mostapha
06-20-2012, 04:49 AM
So…that's actually very cool.

They should do that again. Or, you know, someone who people will actually buy.

Blueprint
06-20-2012, 11:14 AM
not gonna happen

djpenguin
06-20-2012, 12:30 PM
So…that's actually very cool.

They should do that again. Or, you know, someone who people will actually buy.

You can buy this one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tascam-X-9-Professional-Digital-DJ-Mixer-/130711934908?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item1e6f09d7bc#ht_965wt_1330) if you're so inclined. They actually pop up on ebay fairly regularly.

not gonna happen

Don't bet on it. The RedSound InFader (http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm212/marreone/mixers/Red.jpg) came out around the same time as the X-9, and although a lot of people thought the "multiple crossfaders divided by EQ bands" function was crazy and innovative at the time, it was quickly dismissed as another stupid gimmick that was hard to use in practice. That didn't stop Pioneer from reviving and expanding the concept to seven virtual crossfaders divided by EQ as an effect on their DJM-2000. People generally gushed over the feature when it was announced, and then quickly discovered that it was still kind of a stupid gimmick that's hard to use in practice.

There are only so many things you can do with a DJ mixer, so the more oddball ideas seem to resurface from time to time.

noize_unit
06-21-2012, 10:53 AM
could you imagine if A&H released the db4 as a xone 62 of this time the 42 being the db2 and the 92 with be a 4band eq version of the db4 with more features....then the new xone 4d would be 2 K2's attached on either side, would be interesting

drzinc
06-21-2012, 11:05 AM
I do not consider 3 bands equates to an eq unless it is a true parametric. These mixers have tone controls. EQ's start at 5 bands.....

djpenguin
06-21-2012, 12:25 PM
I do not consider 3 bands equates to an eq unless it is a true parametric. These mixers have tone controls. EQ's start at 5 bands.....

That's a little like saying "that's not a pane of glass, that's the clear bit from a window." You can mince words however you want, but a three-band EQ is still an EQ. So is a four-band, a seven-band, or a thirty-one-band EQ.

Equalization (British: equalisation) is the process of adjusting the balance between frequency components within an electronic signal. The most well known use of equalization is in sound recording and reproduction but there are many other applications in electronics and telecommunications. The circuit or equipment used to achieve equalization is called an equalizer. These devices strengthen (boost) or weaken (cut) the energy of specific frequency bands.

Blueprint
06-21-2012, 04:43 PM
..so the more oddball ideas seem to resurface from time to time.

Not a club standard one.

djpenguin
06-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Not a club standard one.

I'm sorry, I don't follow what you're saying here. Are you saying that oddball ideas never resurface on a "club standard" mixer? Because I just gave an example involving the DJM-2000, and you can bet money that Pioneer were hoping that thing would become a "club standard" when it dropped.