PDA

View Full Version : Price for first gig?

Spin Victim
06-16-2012, 06:01 PM
I've been spinning at house parties for a while but as I am now focusing on networking/promoting to hopefully get a gig at a venue or event, I was wondering how much to charge when opportunity finally knocks. Is DJing for free the first time kosher, should I ask for a token amount, what are other people's experiences? Thanks

sss18734
06-17-2012, 02:25 AM
That heavily depends on if you are providing the sound / lighting or if you are using house equipment.

Dix
06-17-2012, 07:22 AM
That heavily depends on if you are providing the sound / lighting or if you are using house equipment.
.....how much experience you have, what the going rate is in your area, etc. It depends on a lot of factors. You might give us a little more info... Maybe someone in Chicago will elaborate on the prices there..??

Synergy
06-17-2012, 08:48 AM
lol, i played for FREE for a looonnng time. Well....still do just play for gas money. But....I love playing out and I have a job that allows me to do what I want and not charge.

Spin Victim
06-17-2012, 11:17 PM
I would definitely not be providing sound or lighting; I don't have much experience and have a pretty small following so far, so yeah I would expect to be playing for free. And I'm totally happy to do that, I'm not in it for the money.

hoff
06-17-2012, 11:28 PM
if you're just going to spin, probably free. some promoters might even have you sells tix for the event to warrant having you. once you start getting gigs under the belt everything becomes much easier :)

Defiance
06-17-2012, 11:43 PM
I would suggest you look into 'tag-teaming' or opening a night for a fellow DJ. Depending on your status with them, they might pay you, let you drink for free or none of the above. But it will greatly help your chances of getting gigs.

Manu
06-18-2012, 04:38 AM
I would definitely not be providing sound or lighting; I don't have much experience and have a pretty small following

You can't charge for no gear and no experience. At most you can ask to have your expenses covered and a bottle of coke...

Synergy
06-18-2012, 07:33 AM
if you're just going to spin, probably free. some promoters might even have you sells tix for the event to warrant having you. once you start getting gigs under the belt everything becomes much easier :)

this one

I would suggest you look into 'tag-teaming' or opening a night for a fellow DJ. Depending on your status with them, they might pay you, let you drink for free or none of the above. But it will greatly help your chances of getting gigs.

this one too, this one can be SUPER fun and maybe u get 2 hours to tag!