PDA

View Full Version : Are these Technics worth the price?

2rp
06-16-2012, 03:34 PM
I am ready for an upgrade on my turntables, but I am not exactly sure what a fair price for used Technics would be today.

I found 2 people in my area selling some Technics and would appreciate any input

Sale 1:

(2) Technics 1200 M3D
Vestax PMC-270A
2 extra Ortofon needles
Procases Econoline Case
Includes around 500 vinyl records, mostly hip hop. **note: I worked in record stores for about 8 years so I can tell pretty quickly if the records are worth including in the purchase or passing on.

Seller says they are in excellent condition and only used by weekend wannabe DJ's and never used professionally.

Price $1300. Was thinking about offering $1100--is that fair or insulting?

Sale 2:

(2) Technics SL 1200 MK3D
Each turntable comes in individual metal carrying box
Stanton 500 needles on them (would be replaced with my Ortofons)

Noe: One turntable has a cut in the rubber of the cable and was closed up with electrical tape and supposedly plays fine, the other turntables cord has a cut and needs to be replaced. I have read that if you don't replace the cable on a Technic correctly you can have problems with the sound. These may have also been lugged around to events. If I can't fully check out the second player it seems like a gamble. The person selling them also inherited them, so not sure if they really know how much they were used.

Price: $725 or best offer. Are these even worth an offer of $650?

I was initially drawn to the less expensive ones (sale 2), but now I am not sure considering the cord situation on both tables. The person selling (sale 1) lives the farthest away from me about 1hr 30 min so even just checking them out is a bit of a trip..

Thanks

contra
06-16-2012, 03:39 PM
I like sale 1! That's actually a good deal ESPECIALLY with 500 vinyl! That's worth more than the asking price itself. Plus those Vestax mixers are pretty badass, I like them a lot.
In my experience, if you pay less (in scenerio 2) for something that has a bit of 'functional' problems they definately have a high chance of having more problems the seller isn't telling or doesn't see as a potential threat. I'd say pay the extra for something you KNOW works now and will work later too. And if you want, you can probably sell the vinyl and the mixer and come out close to even and then keep the decks!!

2rp
06-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks Contra! I was thinking the same thing about selling the vinyl (if its worth anything) to offset the cost. I am going to go for it, hopefully its still available.

DTR
06-16-2012, 05:31 PM
I have read that if you don't replace the cable on a Technic correctly you can have problems with the sound.

If you don't replace the cable on any audio equipment correctly you will have problems with the sound.

Synergy
06-17-2012, 12:59 AM
offer 1 is bomb. u can off those record and make a few bucks back.