PDA

View Full Version : How do you record your sets

theckman
06-16-2012, 12:58 PM
So,

I was wondering what you guys normally use to record sets you throw together. I currently am using two CDJs and a DJM-600. Ideally, I'd like to be able to record it right on my MacBook Air or Pro using something.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

-Tim

Buszaj
06-16-2012, 03:41 PM
I personally go record out from my mixer into a USB soundcard (size of a jump drive). It's just got an 1/8" in and out. I use Adobe Soundbooth to record onto a firewire external drive.

JamesRoss
06-16-2012, 04:14 PM
with a CDR. I used to record right to my computer but have found that things turn out better for me if I record to Compact Disc then make a copy on my computer for additional use. I like having the master CD first because I realize that it is what I need to save and protect. my mixes have a tendency to get lost on my HD anymore. But they are there. however with the cost of blank CDs and the limited availablity of the type of CD digital audio compatible discs, I can't say I blame anyone for prefering the save to HD first.

DJ Weatherman
06-18-2012, 04:40 AM
Audacity

Atomisk
06-18-2012, 06:01 AM
If you want to record into your macbook, buy a rca->3.5mm converter, run the cable into your mac's line-in port, and just record the built-in input into your DAW of choice. When I'm recording a live mix, I just record into Ableton. When I'm creating a mix to put on my mixcloud or whatnot, I do everything in-the-box inside Ableton's session view.

Nicadraus
06-18-2012, 07:02 AM
At home I use Wavelab6 or Soundforge7 for recording my mixes. At gigs, I bring my (old and reliable) Sony NetMD recorder/player and set it to EP2 to record 2 hours of music on each disc. :)

Era 7
06-18-2012, 08:24 AM
run a RCA to 3,5mm from my record outs into the line in on my computer and record with audacity.

mostapha
06-18-2012, 12:03 PM
They all work about the same. I typically run cables from my mixer to a sound card (either my computer's internal sound card or an external one…doesn't really matter) and record in whatever DAW I'm using at the time (which has been Audacity, Logic, Pro Tools, and Ableton Live at different times). Quality is about the same. Just set your levels, turn on recording, and forget about it 'till you're done.

If you want something even simpler, you can get something like a Zoom h2n or Sound Devices 702 or something like that. Same idea…set your levels, hit record, and forget about it……but they're easier to carry around and (very slightly) less prone to failure. They're a lot less useful in the grand scheme of things, but some people just like working that way.

drzinc
06-18-2012, 12:06 PM
My software allows me to record internally. No patching or external recorder needed.

noize_unit
06-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Sorry not trying to thread jack....

OT: I have RCA cord plugged into my booth out of my mixer that goes into my Audio 8 DJ which is connected to my PC running Ableton or Audacity

OffTopic: How can i change the max recording length on Audacity and Ableton, ive been through the settings on both but maybe im missing something... Audacity will let me record 1h 15min roughly, and ableton lets me record 45min max. most of my recordings go to about an hr mark but at least once a week i have a skype session with some peeps that live across the US and i'll do sets that range from 1 - 4 hrs and usually most of the sets i do on the skype sessions are some of my best but i can never record them, never fully got traktor record setup properly maybe ill look into that, but id really like to know why Audacity and ableton are limiting me, i have plenty of HDD space so i know thats not an issue

JamesRoss
06-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Sorry not trying to thread jack....

OT: I have RCA cord plugged into my booth out of my mixer that goes into my Audio 8 DJ which is connected to my PC running Ableton or Audacity

OffTopic: How can i change the max recording length on Audacity and Ableton, ive been through the settings on both but maybe im missing something... Audacity will let me record 1h 15min roughly, and ableton lets me record 45min max. most of my recordings go to about an hr mark but at least once a week i have a skype session with some peeps that live across the US and i'll do sets that range from 1 - 4 hrs and usually most of the sets i do on the skype sessions are some of my best but i can never record them, never fully got traktor record setup properly maybe ill look into that, but id really like to know why Audacity and ableton are limiting me, i have plenty of HDD space so i know thats not an issue

That's strange that Audacity limits you. I have used it before and there did not ever seem to be a time limit for me. I used the free sofrware too so I don't know what to tell you. Audacity was my work horse recording unit for a while until I started using my CDR. I know I recorded sets longer than 1 hour and 15 min with Audacity. Hopefully someone else will be able to tell you if there are settings you need to adjust. Sorry I can't be of more help with your issue.

RikkiGTR
06-19-2012, 03:20 AM
I use Traktor Pro 2 which allows me to record sets direct to my HDD, and because I use the laptop for nothing else except DJing, the recorded sets are easy to find (and there's room for thousands of them).

mostapha
06-19-2012, 09:49 AM
It's been a long time since I used Audacity, but I don't remember having that issue.

I wouldn't use Traktor's internal recording only because it apparently records 16-bit files……which adds noise if you leave headroom and then process it later (normalization; limiting; etc.). It's no big deal as the noise probably won't be audible anyway, but I tend to record very quiet and write either 24-bit or 32-bit float files so I don't have to think about it.

noize_unit
06-19-2012, 10:23 AM
It's been a long time since I used Audacity, but I don't remember having that issue.

I wouldn't use Traktor's internal recording only because it apparently records 16-bit files……which adds noise if you leave headroom and then process it later (normalization; limiting; etc.). It's no big deal as the noise probably won't be audible anyway, but I tend to record very quiet and write either 24-bit or 32-bit float files so I don't have to think about it.

ya thanks didnt know that, i too like recording at 24 bit so that would bug me (i know there was a reason why i subconciously never setup the traktor recording feature :lol:). well i was hoping that i was being dumb and overlooking a setting but guess not :( what about ableton, has it limited recording length for anyone, i'd like at least one program to do my bidding

Budzak
06-19-2012, 12:25 PM
When I use my controller, I can record from ITCH, but usually I still do my normal setup. That is, I acquired an old office PC that's fairly compact that sits next to my decks. Its entire purpose is recording and broadcasting to FaderWave. I run Audacity with an old USB interface (Tascam US-428) and I record from my mixer's Booth Out (makes it easier to adjust volume).

I have a folder just for all my recordings and they're numbered and such. It's kinda sorta organized... Enough for me to be happy, anyway.

And no, I've never had an issue with Audactiy limiting me on recording time. I've gone over three hours before without an issue.

noize_unit
06-19-2012, 01:22 PM
When I use my controller, I can record from ITCH, but usually I still do my normal setup. That is, I acquired an old office PC that's fairly compact that sits next to my decks. Its entire purpose is recording and broadcasting to FaderWave. I run Audacity with an old USB interface (Tascam US-428) and I record from my mixer's Booth Out (makes it easier to adjust volume).

I have a folder just for all my recordings and they're numbered and such. It's kinda sorta organized... Enough for me to be happy, anyway.

And no, I've never had an issue with Audactiy limiting me on recording time. I've gone over three hours before without an issue.

RAGE! idky mine is being dumb, the only thing that i thought could limit it is HDD space and i got plenty, well it shows it still recording after an hour and some change but it wont display the waveform after that point and when i look in all the menu pull downs almost all the options are grayed out, and wont let me export or anything

de.j.l
06-19-2012, 01:23 PM
cdjs, mixer // audio out to soundcard which is hooked into my laptop.

Mixing with CDS no dvs // software , although I am looking into tsp2 hopefully shortly

mostapha
06-19-2012, 02:41 PM
There's no problem in recording with Live……have you tried it? There's no max recording setting that I'm aware of.

noize_unit
06-19-2012, 03:48 PM
There's no problem in recording with Live……have you tried it? There's no max recording setting that I'm aware of.

Ya my record time gets even shorter when i use ableton, im using ableton 8 live and it will only record 45 min before stopping

Anarkissed
06-19-2012, 04:47 PM
I use Virtual DJ, and their recording options are very simple and easy to use. Options: record when music starts, and you can save the file as an mp3 or a wav. The only shitty thing is there's an option to automatically create a new track on the crossfade, I recommend against this because it does so for *any* movement of the crossfader, so I just ended up with a thousand twenty second tracks. Now I turn that option off and just record one long song. Also, there's an option to cut to a new track, and I remapped my controller just to be able to do that at the touch of a key. But I found that most of the sites that let you upload and share your sets expect one long track, so I just do it that way.

mostapha
06-20-2012, 06:17 AM
Ya my record time gets even shorter when i use ableton, im using ableton 8 live and it will only record 45 min before stopping

What kind of computer?

What does the recording sound like at the end? Does it glitch out or just stop?

Are you doing anything else with the computer at the time? If so, what?

This is really confusing………

noize_unit
06-20-2012, 10:37 AM
What kind of computer?

What does the recording sound like at the end? Does it glitch out or just stop?

Are you doing anything else with the computer at the time? If so, what?

This is really confusing………

the computer im using i built myself (running windows 7 ultimate) it just stops the recording as if i had stopped recording even tho i didnt, only other thing im doing on my comp is using traktor to play, ya this has been mind boggling for me, im pretty confident in software and hardware troubleshooting, but this has me kinda stumped

mostapha
06-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Are you sure that some MIDI command you or Traktor is sending out isn't causing it to stop? I mean…I'm reaching here, but IHNFC.

I assume you've done normal Windows tuning things, right?

Is it possible some background process is polling or trying to take control of the sound card you're using for recording and it's causing it to stop? Can you immediately start recording again after it fails without doing anything except pressing record?

noize_unit
06-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Are you sure that some MIDI command you or Traktor is sending out isn't causing it to stop? I mean…I'm reaching here, but IHNFC.

I assume you've done normal Windows tuning things, right?

Is it possible some background process is polling or trying to take control of the sound card you're using for recording and it's causing it to stop? Can you immediately start recording again after it fails without doing anything except pressing record?

Unless there is a setting in Traktor that states it will stop recordings after a certain time period then im pretty sure Traktor isnt messin with my recording, could be background process, i'll mess around with ableton (as i havent used it in awhile) tonight when i get home, from what i remember though, i would have to add a 'new audio track' in to start recording again

Dharmaboy
06-20-2012, 01:55 PM
use an old Apple iMac 3G with Tiger OSX and Audacity as the software.

mostapha
06-20-2012, 02:50 PM
from what i remember though, i would have to add a 'new audio track' in to start recording again

That seems to me like you're getting into a file size issue, but that doesn't make sense.

If I did my math right, a stereo 24/96 file should be right about 2 GB/hour…which is half the maximum file size even if you're still using FAT32. Ableton and Audacity should both write to the hard drive, so I doubt you're running out of RAM and that's causing an issue.

I really have no idea. I haven't run into that problem with anything I've used, even back when I was on Windows (using XP…probably around sp1/2 days maybe?).

Try clearing your Ableton cache before you record and see if that helps? Or increasing the Ableton cache size…but IIRC the default is like 10GB.

(Note: other sets you open later will take a while because it'll have to rebuild the cache).

Ryan Ruel
06-20-2012, 03:06 PM
If you want something even simpler, you can get something like a Zoom h2n or Sound Devices 702 or something like that. Same idea…set your levels, hit record, and forget about it……but they're easier to carry around and (very slightly) less prone to failure. They're a lot less useful in the grand scheme of things, but some people just like working that way.

I'll second the field recorder idea. I have a Zoom H2 (original) and an H4n. The H2n is the new version of the H2. They are super simple to use, sound fantastic, and you can use them for whatever, wherever. If you're into video recording at all they double as a decent off-camera recorder, and my friend also uses these for recording live bands. Just an option if you have around $150 to spend.

BurntToast
06-22-2012, 11:54 AM
If I record a mix in Audacity, and want to preserve quality, what is the best way to convert my .aup to an .mp3? I don't know much about bit rate (other than that higher typically = better) and file type (other than .wav is one of the best).

Ryan Ruel
06-22-2012, 12:42 PM
If I record a mix in Audacity, and want to preserve quality, what is the best way to convert my .aup to an .mp3? I don't know much about bit rate (other than that higher typically = better) and file type (other than .wav is one of the best).

You can use the open source LAME encoding framework.

Note that file formats such as WAV and AIFF have nothing to do with quality. They are merely container formats, there is no lossy compression involved. Therefore WAV isn't "better" or "worse", it's all dependent on what quality the audio was recorded and then saved as.

BurntToast
06-22-2012, 02:22 PM
You can use the open source LAME encoding framework.

Note that file formats such as WAV and AIFF have nothing to do with quality. They are merely container formats, there is no lossy compression involved. Therefore WAV isn't "better" or "worse", it's all dependent on what quality the audio was recorded and then saved as.

Thank you for clearing that up. The last mix I recorded was exported with the default 128 kbps. Will I gain much from exporting it as a 320 kbps file?

Ryan Ruel
06-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Thank you for clearing that up. The last mix I recorded was exported with the default 128 kbps. Will I gain much from exporting it as a 320 kbps file?

You will gain nothing, but wasted space. You cannot "add" in audio information that isn't present in the source recording.

mostapha
06-22-2012, 03:26 PM
If you export it from the original uncompressed file, yes, it will be better. Whether or not you can hear the difference is a separate issue.

MP3 is lossy, so once you compress…you can't decompress and recover lost quality.