PDA

View Full Version : using channel faders

theritcha
06-15-2012, 06:46 AM
mixing using channel faders advice, im not new to djing put ned a little advice bout mixing using the channel fades..:(
can i get some help or advive about mixing with the channel fades,i find it a little tricky raising 1 and lowering the other and tryna mess with eqs while keeping the volume even. some advice or help please?is there any tutorial videos online that can help ,thanks

DJ STU-C
06-15-2012, 07:08 AM
haha it's a lot of buttons to push and knobs to twist at once isn't it. I normally turn the bass all the way down and the mid half way down(from vertical) then bring the fader up on beat one of the 4, maybe 8 beats after I've cued the track, I'll maybe being it half way then start gradually moving it upwards on the first beat each time, I usually find on the last part of the 32 beat bar there tends to be more noise/symbols etc so you can chuck it in the rest of the way without it sounding heavy, then it's a case of fading the mid and bass in and out with both hands then dropping the other fader out, I will post a video up of a couple of mixes I did and see if that helps you out mate. it's easier to watch than for me to explain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ STU-C
06-15-2012, 07:17 AM
now im not saying im any good and im sure people on here will say its shit/wrong or whatever, but i think it works and it will give you a bit of an insight into how to effectively use the faders

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee415/DJSTU-C/th_6872f0f2.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee415/DJSTU-C/?action=view&current=6872f0f2.mp4)

theritcha
06-15-2012, 09:50 AM
cheers mate,do you have both faders all the way up at any stage there,couldnt tell in the vid if the 1 you were bringing in was all the way up and then you started using the eqs?

DJ STU-C
06-15-2012, 04:22 PM
i tend to have both fully open for a small amount of time, some people say you shouldnt but i dont see a problem, i actually find it easier to maintain the master level by sticking to moving one at a time.

the other thing i do is turn the hi down if there is a track with a strong top end, its maybe only 1 in every 30 of my tracks so i dont do it that often

after you get used to it, you will start adjusting the eqs up and down before you fully open the fader,ive found i start to eq out the track im mixing into as i push the fader up on the track im mixing in aswell as starting to eq the track in too, kind of tinkering a lot more once i got used to it. its not some robotic scheme you need to abide by every mix and your ears will tell you what needs to be done given time and countless plays of each track. everyone has their little system and way of mixing which is what is great about djing, im just glad your yet another person trying to perfect the art of smooth mixes (too many people seem not to care these days).

try looking up roger sanchez djsounds mix on youtube he is pretty good at the old mixing techniques lol

ChrisHynds
06-16-2012, 01:44 AM
haha it's a lot of buttons to push and knobs to twist at once isn't it. I normally turn the bass all the way down and the mid half way down(from vertical) then bring the fader up on beat one of the 4, maybe 8 beats after I've cued the track, I'll maybe being it half way then start gradually moving it upwards on the first beat each time, I usually find on the last part of the 32 beat bar there tends to be more noise/symbols etc so you can chuck it in the rest of the way without it sounding heavy, then it's a case of fading the mid and bass in and out with both hands then dropping the other fader out, I will post a video up of a couple of mixes I did and see if that helps you out mate. it's easier to watch than for me to explain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly What he said :) I also have both faders fully up for the whole mix duration, just keep an eye on the master level to make sure it remains the same, sometimes it might jump up a little with both channels fully open, but using the eq's correctly should fix this.

bobbyd
06-16-2012, 09:38 AM
I used to mix on a Urei so mixing with faders and with out EQs was never a big deal. You need to be at a point in the song when the two songs will work together. Then you don't need to touch the EQs, you can just raise one level, and lower the other. Other wise, you can slam one up and one down - giving you something like a crossfader effect.

If you are messing with EQs - you can put the one source in at about 5 or 7 - depending on the volume curve on your mixer - and you will get a hint of volume, but still have room to play. You don't need to turn stuff "off". Most songs will be hidden in the mix btw 5 and 7 and you won't have to cut it all the way out.

I hope that helps.

DJ STU-C
06-16-2012, 05:04 PM
also ive found that when im mixing funk/disco and need to do a quick smooth mix, ill put the crossfader onto the curve that looks like an x then just smoothly move the crossfader across, that kind of eq's itself