PDA

View Full Version : I ejected the CD right before the drop

Hygro
02-09-2012, 08:26 AM
So I should do a full write up of the past week (two gigs, of solid merit), but instead I will leave with this tidbit.

I was playing to young "gimme that wobbly electro" crowd, trying to poke my way toward more interesting dance music. While playing "Epic" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQKsLOPK_ls) right at 2:11 I managed to hit the eject button on the player.

Yeah.

I was playing earlier slot and man I HAD the crowd during this buildup. People were pouring into my dancefloor. Everyone was facing the stage, jumping up and down. Super pumped, super ready for the drop. I'm like FUCK YES I have this crowd. Then I'm thinking, oh I should ready the next track imma hit eject.

Wrong eject. 2 seconds before the drop.

Fortunately I still had the other track playing, still matched, and could knock up the volume at a moderately appropriate point.

Took me about 25 minutes to get my crowd back (I was not in the mood to bang out cliche electro). They didn't trust me for a bit and there were 3 rooms in that club. I can't blame 'em...

I've done this before when I was a newbie, but this was definitely the worst.

de.j.l
02-09-2012, 08:38 AM
hahaha, man it is so easy to do and I personally look at my mixer to see what crossfader is down before I muck with the 'cue or 'eject but this does not go out to say I am perfect by any means, the worst is when you think you're in the mix and the crossfader is over to one side. Thats one I have done before.

MeowMix
02-09-2012, 08:45 AM
the CDJs i used to use wouldnt eject unless you paused or stopped the track. Smart engineering.

Boomcie
02-09-2012, 08:48 AM
:lol: I've lifted the wrong tone arm before. It happens.

jaytoh
02-09-2012, 08:48 AM
My Denon's are the same so never I have never done that.

On another note however, I have paused the track instead

Same outcome. We all do it once in a while

AndrewEddyEdwards
02-09-2012, 08:49 AM
I was doing a gig for Love To Be pre-party back in Sept and the Denon mixer they had was a weird design. The EQ was to the left of the channel fader rather than above it & I was trying to accapella something & I moved the knob above the fader, thinking it was the gain... WRONG! Instead I changed channel and silence..!
I did it twice throughout my set and was cursing the mixer, Nev the main Promoter & DJ was laughing his ass off... didn't stop me from getting booked again though as the crowd loved my set hahahaha

NickyNines
02-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Priceless :)

punky
02-09-2012, 08:50 AM

Definitely happens to all of us.

AndrewEddyEdwards
02-09-2012, 08:51 AM
:lol: I've lifted the wrong tone arm before.

me too

de.j.l
02-09-2012, 08:53 AM
i've seen a couple laptop djs have their laptop die on them due to forgetting to plugging them in or not plugging it in properly.

g-sep
02-09-2012, 08:56 AM
I've put my hand on the record once :argh:

Ellissentials
02-09-2012, 09:00 AM
I've lifted a live needle instead of outgoing decks needle :facepalm:

MeowMix
02-09-2012, 09:02 AM
i've seen a couple laptop djs have their laptop die on them due to forgetting to plugging them in or not plugging it in properly.

Yep, it got unplugged at the adapter, good thing it was early in the evening so no one was dancing.

Adzm00
02-09-2012, 09:10 AM

I have NEVER done this in front of a crowd. When I play I am usually, well, really wasted, but check things like this before I press eject and generally KNOW what I am doing. Yeah, its easy to get carried away and not pay attention properly, but then it leads to things as you described.

I've seen some mates do this a few times in the club. A good friend of mine was so drunk one time he ejected the wrong cd 3 times in a row.

Where is the "No, because im not a mong like Hygro" option?

Dantron
02-09-2012, 09:11 AM

Def the worst.

DJ ATX
02-09-2012, 09:16 AM
So I should do a full write up of the past week (two gigs, of solid merit), but instead I will leave with this tidbit.

I was playing to young "gimme that wobbly electro" crowd, trying to poke my way toward more interesting dance music. While playing "Epic" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQKsLOPK_ls) right at 2:11 I managed to hit the eject button on the player.

Yeah.

I was playing earlier slot and man I HAD the crowd during this buildup. People were pouring into my dancefloor. Everyone was facing the stage, jumping up and down. Super pumped, super ready for the drop. I'm like FUCK YES I have this crowd. Then I'm thinking, oh I should ready the next track imma hit eject.

Fortunately I still had the other track playing, still matched, and could knock up the volume at a moderately appropriate point.

Took me about 25 minutes to get my crowd back (I was not in the mood to bang out cliche electro). They didn't trust me for a bit and there were 3 rooms in that club. I can't blame 'em...

I've done this before when I was a newbie, but this was definitely the worst.

I have never ejected a CD. But I have pressed the Play/Pause on the one playing. I have also tried to cue the one that playing by mistake. That one was easy to kinda play off. I just started scratching. LOL

I think this happens occasionally to the best of them. :lol:

Phil Noize
02-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Most CDJs have an eject lock. Having made the same mistake myself, I always make sure the eject lock is on now.

Sean
02-09-2012, 09:48 AM
I've pressed CUE on the wrong deck too. Happens! :)

Subprime
02-09-2012, 10:10 AM
I've lifted a live needle instead of outgoing decks needle :facepalm:

I've done this after doing a power done on the outgoing track. So dumb.

moyo wilde
02-09-2012, 10:14 AM
done it and i hate the look everybody in the club gives you. did it at the last party i played. there were way too many people in the small as booth. other dj's promoters and of course friends with bags/coats/drinks at one point i was djing from behind somebody and then i pulled the wrong cd.:uhoh::facepalm::diaf::diaf::diaf:

Atomisk
02-09-2012, 10:43 AM
the CDJs i used to use wouldnt eject unless you paused or stopped the track. Smart engineering.

Ditto. What CD Players were you using?

Liam
02-09-2012, 10:46 AM
The CDJ1000 mk3 has the lock function on the eject button doesn't it?

I think it's natural for it to happen some time during your time as a DJ. Just like your laptop is going to crash at some point during your time as a DJ if you are digital, and you are gonna lift the wrong needle if your a vinyl DJ.

Shit happens, Never any point on getting worked up about it.

Era 7
02-09-2012, 11:49 AM
oh man i can literally imagine the disappointment in the crowd. "Epic" has quite a heavy drop.

gladly it only happened to me while practicing and not while actually playing out.

mrkleen
02-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Thats why they have an eject lock switch. Have had it since the CDJ 1000 MK1

RDRCK
02-09-2012, 12:33 PM
I've taken the needle off the wrong record before :shrug:

Frank112916
02-09-2012, 12:42 PM
I had a real shit time last Thursday. First I was using Denon 3700 cdj's which were not set up properly and I'd never used them before. I have never even used cd time code before. I'm playing the peak set 12-2, other guy is using vdj. I unplug the one cdj which he doesn't have a track playing on from USB.... And everything goes dead. Dead fucking silence.

Get everything plugged into my box, try using timecode, it isn't working properly, cdj has to reset itself to cd mode. Weird whining sound coming from my mixer.

Get everything set up, start playing... Channels are crossed (ins were fine, outs were crossed). Great! Now I'm mixing with reversed channels. Kept fucking me up for the first 10-15 minutes of mixing and made me nervous as hell.

End of the night comes - other Dj points out I could have switched all the channels on my mixer since its a digital mixer - facepalm. I completely forgot. I wanted to crawl in a hole. I had a decent set still, but the beginning of it really made me nervous.

MeowMix
02-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Ditto. What CD Players were you using?

Numark CDN90 (19" rackmountable unit).

Andrew B
02-09-2012, 01:27 PM
I have.

And that too. :P

daveoj
02-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Haven't ejected (my CDJs have an eject lock) - but have managed to whack the channel fader with an out-of-control elbow before (don't ask). Amazingly, it was right on beat and I slammed it back up just a few beats later with people figuring it was just part of the show. Lesson learned? Flailing elbows have no place in the booth!

Friction
02-09-2012, 02:00 PM
I've cocked up so many live mixes I can't count anymore. Best one involved a transsexual... but this poll is about Hygro.

edit: love that I am the only one who voted that they are not a DJ.

Gnozis
02-09-2012, 02:18 PM
http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/1727-i-know-that-feel.png

MeowMix
02-09-2012, 02:58 PM
I've cocked up so many live mixes I can't count anymore. Best one involved a transsexual... but this poll is about Hygro.

nevermind Hygro, tell us the damn tranny story.

BuddyUK
02-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Feels on DJF? that feel when you are partially responsible for the 'that feel' meme.

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr154/bud1uk/Boromirknowsthatfeel.jpg

drzinc
02-09-2012, 03:38 PM
I have accidently stopped a track right in the middle of playing it...

DJ Elroy
02-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Glad I'm not the only one. Those were the days...

Exactly. This saved me a few times.

Hygro
02-09-2012, 08:34 PM
I have NEVER done this in front of a crowd. When I play I am usually, well, really wasted, but check things like this before I press eject and generally KNOW what I am doing. Yeah, its easy to get carried away and not pay attention properly, but then it leads to things as you described.

I've seen some mates do this a few times in the club. A good friend of mine was so drunk one time he ejected the wrong cd 3 times in a row.

Where is the "No, because im not a mong like Hygro" option?
The option you're looking for is "I'm not a DJ". If you're paying too much attention to your mixer that you will never ever make this mistake, you aren't spending enough energy feeling your crowd ;)

Dj_4-$hure
02-09-2012, 08:56 PM
^^^ +1I think every real dj has done this once or twice or more if you've got a nice buzz!:lol: Maybe the guy has never made a mistake in his life.

Kingbob182
02-10-2012, 02:59 AM
I said yes, but actually, I lost track of which channel was playing and I pressed the cue button on the wrong side :(
Never ejected because I play from USB

Manu
02-10-2012, 03:03 AM

^^^ +1. I use my crossfader and my mixer has channel LEDs so I have a double constant visual reminder of where is what.

I've lifted the wrong tone arm before. It happens.

Check where the needle is, either at the end or beginning of the record?

BuddyUK
02-10-2012, 03:22 AM
my mixer has channel LEDs

That's cheating! :argh:

Marc S
02-10-2012, 03:30 AM

done this, never with a cd.

Manu
02-10-2012, 04:04 AM
That's cheating! :argh:

Is it? Daaaamn :blank:

Kingbob182
02-10-2012, 05:10 AM
^^^ +1. I use my crossfader and my mixer has channel LEDs so I have a double constant visual reminder of where is what.

Got channel LEDs too. But I was nervous. was my first gig. Hasnt happened during a set since. I double check now.
Also, Love your favourite track haha

Manu
02-10-2012, 05:12 AM
Nordschleife remix ;)

Manu
02-10-2012, 07:11 AM
here, have some noobieber:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20zFNZDWPrk

and yes that's a cut the wrong fader around 1:10

dj daywalker
02-10-2012, 12:00 PM
I've yet to have real gigs, but a couple times ive gone to set my headphones down on the left side of my gear, and bumped the cue button stopping the music

LeFresh
02-10-2012, 07:48 PM

Yup, been there! :lol:

DJ Riddims
02-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Even if there is an eject protection I still manage to eject the cd because I hit the cue and eject buttons extremely fast when changing cds and sometimes you chose the wrong deck.

NickyNines
02-12-2012, 03:17 AM
I had to post this.. Don't feel bad ever about that. Im at xs right now in Vegas and Calvin Harris just cut the wrong channel, super funny to say the least. Lost no respect and happens to everyone :)

Ignotus
02-12-2012, 03:51 AM
thanks to this thread i was double checking this each time at the show i played last weekend :p

Manu
02-12-2012, 04:03 AM
thanks to this thread i was double checking this each time at the show i played last weekend :p

Should be second nature at some point :P

fueledbymusic
02-12-2012, 10:25 PM
My CD deck does not let me eject unless its in pause mode. American Audio CDI300s

xsonixs
02-13-2012, 01:42 AM
while not before the drop, looks like guetta effed up here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5BWfAy5Rr0&feature=related. Happens to everyone I guess.

bernardgregory
02-13-2012, 03:07 AM
the biggest mistakes i make. quite often from being drunk

1) load the mp3 on the deck thats PLAYING
2) stop the deck thats PLAYING
3) go to drop the next song on the other deck, and the fader is all the way down

ae86touge
02-23-2012, 06:16 PM
My Numark Mixtrack Pro has pretty sensitive turntables when they're in scratch mode, and once i left the side that was playing in scratch mode. Leant across, crazy hand landed on it and the track stopped, made a horrible noise as it scratched back about 3 seconds, slight pause, then it played again. Awkard.