PDA

View Full Version : How many Powered speakers can plug into an Outlet

pumpitdj
02-09-2012, 07:04 AM
I'm going to be doing a bigger setup , with 4 QSCK10 and 2 Yorkville LS801 Subs with lots of lighting also . Only problem is they only have two outlets near me , the other is on the other side of the room , now I can put my lighting on one and maybe the two subs with it , and then run all 4 speakers and my system on the other outlet , what do you guys think . The circuits are 15amp , do you see there being any problems >?

Sween
02-09-2012, 08:45 AM
You should have 3 or 4 separate circuits at minimum. There is also no guarantee that the outlets near you are on different circuits. You might consider buying one of these (http://www.professionalequipment.com/meterman-circuit-breaker-finder-ecb50/circuit-tracers/) to trace circuits out. I am considering getting one myself.

The LS801P's will max out around 800 watts each... so (2) of them will max out a single circuit. The K10's should probably be on 2 separate circuits... but you could maybe get away with all of them on a single circuit (I'm guessing they run at about 3 amps under normal volume). Lighting should always go one a separate circuit.

FYI... before people start doing the math of "K10 has a 1000 W amp so therefore 1000/120=8.333 X 4 = 33.33 amps", STOP! That is not correct. Although it is very SAFE to do that, you will only find that you actually use less than HALF that load.

I'd definitely try to get 4 circuits if you can though.

A#1 DJ
02-09-2012, 12:07 PM
You should have 3 or 4 separate circuits at minimum. There is also no guarantee that the outlets near you are on different circuits. You might consider buying one of these (http://www.professionalequipment.com/meterman-circuit-breaker-finder-ecb50/circuit-tracers/) to trace circuits out. I am considering getting one myself.

The LS801P's will max out around 800 watts each... so (2) of them will max out a single circuit. The K10's should probably be on 2 separate circuits...
For sure make sure that there are at least 2 15 amp (20amp is better) circuits not just 2 outlets that may be on the same circuit or have maybe a soda machine already on that circuit. (3 or 4 would be better as Sween indicated)
It can be a pain as we all know, if in doubt I carry alot of heavy extension cords :D

windspeed36
02-10-2012, 06:54 AM
You need to make sure they're on separate circuits for a start off. Then you need to familiarize yourself with how much wattage your equipment pulls and what the constant amperage and also in rush currents are. All this info can be found in the spec sheets for your gear. I think "Briansredd" on YouTube did a couple of videos about power distribution for DJ's a while ago- id go have a look at them.(sorry I can't post links - iphone...)

It's also worth checking out if anyone else in the venue is likely to be pulling power front the same circuits - ie photographer, catering staff ect

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-10-2012, 07:29 AM
I would run a cord over to the outlet across the room. I would definitely run the subs and tops on different circuts not only for the power issues but interference issues also. This past HAlloween I had to do a party on a 10th floor loft in the city. Only problem, 2 outlets. 4 tops 2 subs, 4 scanners (bulb), 2 moving heads (led), 2 lcd TVs, uplighting around the booth (led), 750 watt strobe, 2 fog machines, 3 lasers... Power went out 3x. I unplugged the strobe and fog machines. Was golden the rest of the night.

PS I couldnt believe there was only 2 plugs. I looked at the promoter and said " what am I suppose to do. You do know the power is going to cut" He still wanted everything hooked up so I obv just went along. Had it been a wedding things would have been a lot different.

Definitely work it out where you can get more power

KLH
02-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Piggy backing on what everyone else is saying, use separate circuits. Ideally, you want to group devices onto their own circuits:

* Lights (Priority for keeping on its own circuit - especially if not using LEDs)
* Subs (especially if running more than two)
* Tops (especially if running more than four)
* DJing equipment (on average this is the lowest load on a circuit)

Obviously, the above is ideal. If you have only one/two circuits, understand where your load is and set expectations accordingly.

-KLH

pumpitdj
02-10-2012, 09:02 AM
So it would be ideal if I had three separate outlets then

Lights & Dj equipment on one
4 QSC K10 speakers on one
2 subs on one

Sween
02-10-2012, 09:16 AM
So it would be ideal if I had three separate outlets then

Lights & Dj equipment on one
4 QSC K10 speakers on one
2 subs on one

NO. Ideal situation would be:

Lights on one.
Sub on one.
Sub on one.
2 tops on one.
2 tops on one.
DJ equipment on one.

But we know you don't have that option, so next best would be:

lights on one.
2 subs on one.
2 tops and DJ equipment on one.
2 other tops on one.
And don't push anything too hard, especially those subs.

The scenario you listed might work if you watch it carefully... but not "ideal" as you state.

DJMC
02-10-2012, 10:44 AM
The thread title made me think about the old Light Bulb joke....

as in: "How many Mobile DJs does it take to change a light bulb?"

pumpitdj
02-10-2012, 01:56 PM
NO. Ideal situation would be:

Lights on one.
Sub on one.
Sub on one.
2 tops on one.
2 tops on one.
DJ equipment on one.

But we know you don't have that option, so next best would be:

lights on one.
2 subs on one.
2 tops and DJ equipment on one.
2 other tops on one.
And don't push anything too hard, especially those subs.

The scenario you listed might work if you watch it carefully... but not "ideal" as you state.

Thx dude , Maybe I'll just bring one sub then