PDA

View Full Version : Beginner confused about first set up

djp3
06-14-2012, 04:26 AM
Hi, im a beginner dj and have been using a mixtrack pro for the past few months with serato dj intro. I am now looking to upgrade and dont know whether to go for a better controller or a set of cdjs and a mixer. If i do go for the cdjs would it be best to practice with cds or to purchase a dvs system? i am also hoping to progress and become a club dj one day.

RikkiGTR
06-14-2012, 05:44 AM
Firstly, the big question: how much are you willing to spend? We'll need to know your budget before making any recommendations.

Pri yon Joni
06-14-2012, 05:51 AM
As a beginner, I'm assuming that your trying to get the best value for your money. Using timecode/CDJ route will be a little bit of a step backwards, unless you get the control enable CDJ's that are available today (350/850/900/2000). If you plan on going CDJ's, and since you already have experience with a Serato program, the best thing for you to get is...

http://www.pioneerdjusa.com/images/gear/mediaplayers/ddj-s1-4.jpg

The Pioneer DDJ-S1 is Pioneer's take on the Numark NS7, but a little cheaper, and lighter too since it doesn't have moving platters.

The advantage to this is, the buttons are laid out exactly like a CDJ would be. Getting used to this controller is the best way to prep yourself for a Pioneer deck later; the buttons function just about the same way. For $1000, its cheaper than the fully loaded NS7, and easier to carry.

And since it runs on Serato Itch, your playlists that you used with Intro will open inside Itch.

djp3
06-14-2012, 05:56 AM
im willing to spend up to 700 pounds. i am considering the ddj s1 but the only thing stopping me is thinking that i should learn to beat match properly and also if i was called into a club i would need my own scratch live interface so would it just make sense to take the leap towards the cdjs straight away?.

djp3
06-14-2012, 05:59 AM
also i seem to have found a set of cdjs cheaper than i can find a ddj s1. would it be worth me going back to cd djing.

Irrational_Fear
06-14-2012, 06:19 AM
The only problem with the CDJ route is that the entry price is so much more for a similar standard of kit compared to controllers. Saying that, I reckon it is most definately the way to go for learning to beatmatch etc.

I see you are also a UK member? Just quickly looking on Ebay there is a a pair of Pioneer CDJ800mk2s & a Pioneer DJM400 with a buy it now price of £650. This would be an ideal setup for getting into using Pioneer gear (if that's the way you want to go). The 800mk2s have the classic Pioneer layout, the full size jog wheel, and many of the standard features you'll find on club standard CDJs.

You can use them with timecoded cds for controlling software, but to start with I would simply burn a load of your tunes to CDs and use that (with no laptop/software involved) to get the hang of beatmatching by ear etc.

I think this would be a far better bet than any CD deck/mixer packages you will be able to buy new for £700. :)

ampnation
06-14-2012, 07:03 AM
I'm not understanding why you can't beatmatch by ear using a controller. All one has to do is not look at the screen. Am I missing something?

djp3
06-14-2012, 07:08 AM
personally i'd rather learn with the feel of a proper cdj. i have the option of a vestax vci 300, a ddj s1, or a set of cdjs?

Sublim&All
06-14-2012, 08:48 AM
I'm not understanding why you can't beatmatch by ear using a controller. All one has to do is not look at the screen. Am I missing something?
It may be hard for people purposedly not to look at it when it's there anyway. I felt the same using my NS7: I could beatmatch by ear if I want to, but why bother when you can sync the tracks with the push of a button anyway? That's why I moved away from controllers, and bought a set of TTs :)

Irrational_Fear
06-15-2012, 03:47 AM

It is entirely possible to learn to beatmatch using a controller. Personally, I just think it takes a lot more discipline- i.e. not to glance at the bmp etc. Yes you can turn the screen off or turn the laptop around, but it is going to be tempting to keep going back to the bmp readouts/sync to put a mix together when you experience the periods of frustration that is all part of learning a new skill. Nothing wrong with this, I just feel it makes the whole beatmatch learning process a lot longer than it would be without these features. I guess I just prefer more of a throw you in the deep end until you can swim approach!

I also think software can cause you to develop more of a reliance on the beat-gridded waveforms and suchlike that it provides you with. I learned to beatmatch etc the 'old fashioned' way about 10 years ago, but a few years later I went a long while without dj-ing. When I got back into it I picked up a cheap controller running Traktor, and over the year or so before I brought my new cdjs & mixer I couldn't believe how much I was relying upon the visual aids Traktor gives- not because I needed to, but simply because they were there in front of me, I guess it made me 'lazy'.

I know everyone is different in the way they pick things up, but I certainly found learning on old equipment with no bpm displays/visual aids meant I couldn't even begin putting mixes together until I had a half decent grasp of the basics- which for me sped up the learning process no-end! :)

dynamitedeluxe
06-15-2012, 08:20 AM
It may be hard for people purposedly not to look at it when it's there anyway. I felt the same using my NS7: I could beatmatch by ear if I want to, but why bother when you can sync the tracks with the push of a button anyway? That's why I moved away from controllers, and bought a set of TTs :)

hehe great, same hear, moved my controllers and got me a turntable setup!

dynamitedeluxe
06-15-2012, 08:33 AM
there is not really a big difference between a set of CDJs and Pioneer Controller. Maybe the sync button, but you don t need to touch it ;-) The feeling of the jog wheels are the same. I would think about getting the Pioneer DDJ-S1 or -T1. Also there is a 100€ Cashback (http://www.recordcase.de/en/) option from Pioneer going on right now, you could save there big money too.
I would think about it...