PDA

View Full Version : Cueing with Tape

thosim
06-12-2012, 07:51 PM
I understand how tape is useful on a record as far as the direction of the record, and spinning back once you've found the bit. But how do you take a record out with tape on it, put it on the platter, and put the needle right on the sample? Wouldn't it be hard to find the exact groove? If someone could explain that would be awesome.

Sigma
06-12-2012, 08:21 PM
What you do is cue up the sample exactly where you want it, but with the platter stopped. Then you take your sticker and carefully place it right up against the tip of the needle, on the outside edge of it obviously. Move the needle out of the way, then stick the sticker down firmly.

When you go to place the needle on the record, you can see where it's got to go because the sticker is there, but obviously it's hard to drop it in the exact right groove (there's only technically 1 groove, but you know what I mean!). If you're not in a rush, you can use the sticker as a guide and drop the needle down as close to it as you can and if it's not spot on, usually you'd only be a rotation or two too far in, so you'd just wind the record back quickly and there you go. If you're in a rush, like in a battle set or something, you can drop the needle a couple of grooves further out than it needs to be and when you move the record back and forth and the needle goes over the sticker, it will skip to the first groove that the sticker isn't covering, i.e. the cue point.

It takes a bit of practice to place the sticker right. You can use round stickers, or you can use a straight one and angle it so that the needle sort of skips up it to the cue point.

thosim
06-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks, you explained it very well.