PDA

View Full Version : Ortofn Pro S's

Josh Buchanan
06-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Hey guys, I got a pair of Pro S's that came with my turntables, and I am needing the replace the styluses. Should I get the pro s stylus again, or can/should get another stylus, like the blue one, it says dj on it.
Thanks guys.

LJay
06-12-2012, 06:16 PM
I'd recommend pink stylus. It'll say Scratch on it.

If you wanna max out on sound quality and don't mind an elliptical stylus Arkiv is a really good stylus (and good for DJ'ing as well).

Josh Buchanan
06-12-2012, 08:54 PM
I actually don't know the difference between an elliptical and normal styluses, but i'll look into both those. thanks

DennisBdrmDJ 2.0
06-12-2012, 09:17 PM
If you wanna max out on sound quality and don't mind an elliptical stylus Arkiv is a really good stylus (and good for DJ'ing as well).good choice! the Arkiv is what I'm using nowadays....http://www.ortofon-dj.com/faq :tup:

LJay
06-14-2012, 01:09 AM
The internals of some of the ortofon cartridges should not be mixed with certain stylus tips... they could potentially change output levels and quality for the worse if you use the wrong combination of ortofon cartridge with stylus. Contact Ortofon directly for more information or if you search online really hard, you will find more information on this...
Bullshit. That's just marketing.

dlove
06-14-2012, 02:20 AM
I've got a pro s (as an extra headshell) and I've used the blue stylus' with it, only because that's all I had. However, I have to say, just because something says 'DJ' on it, doesn't make it better ;) If I was you, I'd get a replacement of the same type.

dlove
06-14-2012, 02:23 AM
I'd recommend pink stylus. It'll say Scratch on it.

If you wanna max out on sound quality and don't mind an elliptical stylus Arkiv is a really good stylus (and good for DJ'ing as well).

meanwhile, at Ortofon headquarters...'let's call it 'Pro DJ Scratch' and watch the dosh fly in!'

DTR
06-14-2012, 10:41 AM
I actually don't know the difference between an elliptical and normal styluses, but i'll look into both those. thanks

Elliptical is normal. The other variety you're thinking of is Spherical, which is the category most DJ styluses fall into. Outside of the DJ world elliptical is very common. In a nutshell, elliptical styluses give better sound quality and wear the vinyl more evenly, but to get those benefits the setup of the cart is more critical.

Of course, if you use a DVS (Serato, Traktor etc) then this is moot and the stylus used will have no bearing on the sound quality.

nyquist
06-22-2012, 06:50 AM
Nightclub E's FTW

LJay
06-25-2012, 08:04 AM
I wasn't trying to be disrespectful at all. But there are only few Ortofon bodies. In the hifi range there are normal bodies which are 100% same as most DJ bodies, but there's also Super bodies (Super 20/30/40) which will fit, but won't be/sound the same when used with normal styluses. On DJ line there are normal line which are Pros, Scratch, DJ, Night Clubs, Arkiv (=DJE) and Gold. Then there are few specials which could be all the same: Qbert, S120, Nightclub v2. There are more Ortos, but can't remeber all of them. I'm 99% sure of those mentioned though. I'd guess that those "special" DJ bodies are Super bodies from hifi range. That's just a wild guess though.
I've had my experiences with Ortofon as well. Currently I'm using Arkiv, Qberts and Elektros. I might have some others too...
For allround use I recommend Scratch and Elektros (which both sound and track pretty much the same IMO). For scratching Qberts are good and Arkivs do sound damn fine and I prefer them for listening/recording electronic music.