PDA

View Full Version : Speaker recommendations for a small 1st gig, anyone?

PMRTNZ
02-09-2012, 02:56 AM
Just came into my own as far as my tables are concerned, so I mustered up the courage to offer my services at a friends wedding. I've got a solid setup (Technics, Vestax PMC, Serato of course), but I do not have a good set of speakers. Wedding's not for 5 months, but I figured I might as well pick some up sooner than later.

What would you recommend for a wedding at a medium to large sized hall, that will seat maybe 100-140 people?

I have been looking on Amazon, and am unclear on what I should look for aside from watts, and size. My budget is hopefully $400-$1000 unless someone can convince me that it's a fool's path to not spend more.

Thanks, all.:)

djkvg
02-09-2012, 03:06 AM
ummm 1,000 isn't a big budget for a 100-140 size wedding... i would suggest renting speakers =X

but if you must, i think the RCF art 312a are good, but they go for 1200 i think

PMRTNZ
02-09-2012, 03:10 AM
Looks like Amazon has them for $440 a piece. Not bad. I am putting them on my short list of prospects. Thanks!

Al Poulin
02-09-2012, 08:05 AM
If you can still find the RCF 312As for around 400-450$ each, they are without doubt the best performing and best sounding speakers at that price point. They will handle 100-150 people just fine for wedding type applications - just don't expect lots of deep bass. Eventually, you can simply add a good powered sub for a good and full sounding mobile system. Two other excellent values in powered speakers are Samson Auro D415As (about 700$ a pair) and Yorkville YX15Ps. Both of these will also handle small to medium wedding gigs pretty well. Just remember NOT to boost the lows to try to get club sound out of any of these tops as this will result in reduced headroom and stress on the woofers. If you want deep and strong bass, you will eventually want subs - no matter what tops you get.

Al

PMRTNZ
02-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Great stuff, Al. Gonna look into the Samsons and the Yorkvilles as well. Thanks!

DJMC
02-09-2012, 04:25 PM
I'd also look at those Mackie/Tapco "Thump" 15A , also the Seismic Audio "Lava 15" -- at around $400 per pair.
Both make good entry level mains, and will not sound awful in the process!

At this point in your career, there is no sense in over-spending. DJing can become an expensive "hobby".

I'd stay away from Samson, though. Same with Behringer. Although you might find a really cheap price on those...

Once you're gigging on a regular basis -- you'll have $$$ to buy Yorkville, JBL, QSC, and other top brands!

DJMC is a Northern CA DJ who provides non-cheesy emcees/DJs for Sacramento weddings (http://www.dj-mc.com)

DJ LEVLHED
02-09-2012, 07:03 PM
B-52 Matrix 1000 V2 or 2000 if you can swing it will be your best bang/buck and have bass. I think it's an excellent place to start out anyway.

Al Poulin
02-09-2012, 07:53 PM
I'd also look at those Mackie/Tapco "Thump" 15A , also the Seismic Audio "Lava 15" -- at around $400 per pair.
Both make good entry level mains, and will not sound awful in the process!

At this point in your career, there is no sense in over-spending. DJing can become an expensive "hobby".

I'd stay away from Samson, though. Same with Behringer. Although you might find a really cheap price on those...

Once you're gigging on a regular basis -- you'll have $$$ to buy Yorkville, JBL, QSC, and other top brands!

DJMC is a Northern CA DJ who provides non-cheesy emcees/DJs for Sacramento weddings (http://www.dj-mc.com)

I don't quite understand why you are recommending he ''stay away from Samson and Behringer'', and then recommending Seismic Audio - which are known (so far) as being cheap ebay speakers sold factory direct... And once again, the Seismic Audio cabs are passive - so he would need an amplifier for those.

Like many manufacturers, not all of Samson's speaker lines are great,(I am not a fan of the Live! series) BUT I have only heard good things about the Auro series from my dealer who has sold a surprising number in the last few months - and I really liked the sound of all the Auro cabs I have tested. (the 8,12 and 15'') The D415A being my favorite for its full, smooth and hi-fi sound which is surprising given its incredible 300$ per box price including built-in amplification. The only weakness I have found in the Auro cabinets is the knobs on the back that seem to stick out too much and are a little whimpy.

As with most powered speakers in this price range, you can only expect so much performance however. The Mackie Thump 15s might be a viable option but would run out of gas even quicker than the YX15Ps or Auro D415As. As for the 312A, well it outperforms all of them.

The Yorkville YX15Ps are a little more $$ than the Auros BUT are made of wood and are more solid overall - and come with a better warranty. Their mixer section is also better.

Strictly sound and performance wise, the RCF 312As are the best out there right now at their special 400$ price (while they last). We don't get the special price in Canada, but if we did - I would have a few 312As in my collection...

Al

Dix
02-09-2012, 07:56 PM
How about some EV SX300's???

Synaxis
02-09-2012, 08:18 PM
How about some EV SX300's???

Or a pair of ELX112Ps, I believe they can handle around 100 people. Depends on the venue size as well though.

Al Poulin
02-09-2012, 08:34 PM
The EV Live-X powered 12s are indeed good performers, although they might be slightly over budget...

I almost forgot to suggest a pair of Peavey PR15Ds. Same 600-800$ a pair price range as the others, and basically another good performer for small venues... Good thing about popular brands like Peavey - they are easier to get serviced if the need arises. Definitely plenty of choices out there in entry level powered speakers. Wow.

Al

DJStevieRay
02-09-2012, 08:51 PM
RCF 312A's. Best speakers in your budget by far. Can be had around $800/pair.

CQE DJs
02-10-2012, 02:46 PM
I vote for the RCF 312a as well.
I have a fundraiser coming up next month with about 300 people. I will be running my 2 RCFs with my 2 RCF 718subs. Of course not all 300 ppl will be dancing at once but it will give me a good idea of how many people these speakers can handle. I am familiar with the room and I think they will be able to handle them without a problem.

Al Poulin
02-10-2012, 03:00 PM
I vote for the RCF 312a as well.
I have a fundraiser coming up next month with about 300 people. I will be running my 2 RCFs with my 2 RCF 718subs. Of course not all 300 ppl will be dancing at once but it will give me a good idea of how many people these speakers can handle. I am familiar with the room and I think they will be able to handle them without a problem.

As soon as you have subs handling the deeper frequencies, you will be less tempted to boost the bass on your mixer/eq. Simply keeping your eq as flat as possible (especially on low frequencies) will take the stress off the 312As and let them get louder. You should be fine at typical wedding levels.

Al

CQE DJs
02-10-2012, 03:17 PM
^^ That's what I was going to do. The RCF subs have a selectable xover in them so I can send anything over 80 or 100 to the tops. I will probably xover at 100 to take away as most strain from the tops as I can.

Sween
02-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Are you going to do gigs like this often??? Or is this a one time thing?

I say you should maybe rent... maybe even rent from a local guy on the forum (if he's got an extra pair to spare or is not booked).

You could probably rent a pair of K12's and a decent sub for around $300. I know I'd rent you mine if you were local for about that price.

Al Poulin
02-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Are you going to do gigs like this often??? Or is this a one time thing?

I say you should maybe rent... maybe even rent from a local guy on the forum (if he's got an extra pair to spare or is not booked).

You could probably rent a pair of K12's and a decent sub for around $300. I know I'd rent you mine if you were local for about that price.

300$ to rent a pair of powered tops and a sub? That seems awfully expensive to me... when he can actually purchase and own a set of powered speakers for the same price as two night's rental. :eek: (4 night's rental would actually equal a NEW pair of K12s for example)

I know Long & Mcquade (in Canada) will actually rent you some very decent powered tops and a sub for under 100$ a night but I'm sure rental prices vary greatly from one place to another.. IMO renting doesn't make much sense (unless you get a really good deal) given the ridiculously low price of new gear these days. You're better off buying and using the gear for a year and just selling it back once you're done. Keep receipts and keep the gear in new shape and you won't lose too much... Also, purchasing something with a transferable warranty (like the Yorkville YX15P) means you should get more when you sell it.

Al

Unknown DJ
02-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Long & Mcquade has some ridiculously low rental prices. One of the reasons is that Yorkville is there house brand and was started in the back of Long & Mcquades first store in the 60's. Canada is lucky to have them.

You can rent a pair of NX 55's and and a LS801 sub for around $100 taxes and insurance included.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/imgs/nov10-pa%20rental%20rates.pdf

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-10-2012, 11:08 PM
I'm going to get torn apart but I loooooove my Behringer 415 dsps. 4 years going hard and they have an absolutely amazing sound. I've used 7 series rcfs and they are amazing too and they would be the only ones to replace my 415s. I actually just ordered 2 815neos and was contemplating the rcf 315s. About a month to decide... I've used these behringers so hard and they sound awesome so I decided to match them with the newer versions. I know a lot of people bash behringer but their products have takin a great leap forward. Ddm4000 mixer and xenyx board. I'm happy...

YourEventMatters.com

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-10-2012, 11:10 PM
I have buddies that want to throw their mackies off a building bc of all the problem they have. To be honest. If I had 0 speakers is buy the rcfs. I like the 315s but either or. They are actually cheaper then the behringers and carry a great name. My goal is to buy 4 7 series rcfs over the next year. Hopefully. But in the meantime I do love my behringers. Lol. Flip flop much

YourEventMatters.com

Al Poulin
02-11-2012, 07:37 AM
Just so you know, the 312As actually outperform the 315As in their low frequency response. It is the same thing for the 322A vs the 325A and the 522A vs 525A. Although it is not usual for 12s to outperform 15s in a same product line, RCF decided to use the exact same box for all these speakers and while it is the perfect size for the 12s, the 15s don't quite have enough room to breathe properly and low frequency response is affected. If you look at the frequency response charts for the 312A and 315A on the RCF website, you will notice the 315A's response stops dropping even more quickly than the 312As below 90hz. Neither cabinet has very good low frequency response, but the RCFs are known for the amazingly smooth (and ear pleasing) sound of their mids and high frequencies.

The new 4 series should be better in their low frequency response and the 15s should outperform the 12s since they all use different cabinets. Personally, I would love a set of 722As or 712As OR even a set of the ultra compact but powerful 710As with a compact set of subs.

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-11-2012, 08:10 AM
I actually is hear that but couldn't find an article about it. Thanks for the info

YourEventMatters.com

pumpitdj
02-13-2012, 09:07 AM
If you cannot afford the speakers do got go out and buy cheap ones, waist of money . Soon as you buy those cheap speakers you will be posting them on ebay , and get even lower then what you paid for them to begin with . Go out and rent them out , once you save some money then buy some nice speakers like the QSC for example or the RCF Powered speakers . As Unknown DJ mentioned go to Long & Mcquade to rent them out .

Schreiber
02-13-2012, 04:02 PM
No doubt, go for the RCF art 312As. I love mine, I've had them for awhile now. They sound amazing, the pair would definitely handle your size wedding. The quality is great with RCF, they have the reputation they do for a reason.

bumpyjonas
02-13-2012, 08:22 PM
What not rent, save and invest in a decent pair of speakers, or take the plunge for the RCF 312's they are very good speakers for the price point.