PDA

View Full Version : My Deep/Tech House chart for the month of May

Magnofon
06-11-2012, 07:10 AM
I used to post on DJF a good few years ago and I would often post charts or lists of favourite records.
So I'll try and keep up to date and post my findings from time to time.

Here's my picks for the month of May:

01> Milton Jackson - Sub Rosa [Tsuba Limited]
"Three solid deep/tech House cuts from Milton Jackson. I've long been a fan of his work, which is always consistent. It's tough to pick a stand-out track from this one as they're all very playable but the title track just about edges it for me"

02> Bicep/Unknown - Make Love In Public Places [Love Fever]
"Superb garage-House from up and coming producer Bicep here. Vocal samples, deep rhodes keys and a jacking garage rhythm makes this one a real highlight. The flip is a downtempo disco style cut which is certainly listenable but not much more than hazy late night 'listening' music for me"

03> Rio Padice - Moon Phases EP [Housewax]
"4 excellent tracks from top deep House producer Rio Padice. Each has a slightly vintage analog feel to it and all four work well for me. Tracks one and two are chilled to the core deepness but there is an edge to bassline-driven track three and the jacking beats of four that stand out"

04> Adryiano - Snapback Grooves [Soul Notes]
"Excellent well-rounded EP from Adryiano, with four playable pieces. There's an overriding old-school theme to a couple of the tracks which really comes to the fore in the Kirill Tipo Remix of 'Feel Like'. Man of the moment (for me, anyway) Kastil comes in with a chilled deep House remix of 'Open Up', which gives it a completely different feel'

05> Malin Genie - Sancta Simplicities [Slapfunk]
"I recognised the skipping garage beats and 'laughing?' vocals from Malin Genie's 'Turd Machine Tiger Dos' after having heard it in a Tomska podcast. The rest of the five track EP doesn't disappoint either, with a varied pallette. With jazzy 'All About The Original', the minimal-tech of 'Boter', square beat deepness in 'Alemal' and then the downtempo 'Four Drops', there's plenty of versatility to keep this one in your bag."

06> Iron Curtis - Thoughts On [4 Lux]
"It seems here that 4 Lux have worked with Iron Curtis on this one to provide a repress package for 2008's 'Thoughts On'. The tempos range from the up-beat original to slow and low-slung with 'Interlude In The Park'. The EP comes alive when you spin piano driven 'Oh, Come On' and the 2012 mix of 'Thoughts On'

07> Nick Lawson - Drum Boppin [Back To You]
"Nick Lawson's a new one on me but he looks to be well established so perhaps my time out from the scene has meant I've been missing out. This EP on Back To You sees two Lawson originals joined by remixes from two of my favourite artists of late - Jordan Peak and Rio Padice. Peak's mix is quality up tempo tech House as you'd expect, Rio's remix is deeper but his beats on this really kick. The real gem though is Lawson's original 'Seen This'"

08> Homepark - Estimated [Bliq]
"I have been out of the loop with House music since 2009 so I have missed out on this one from 2009. The three cuts are all playable, especially the more peak-time 'Beatdown'. James Duncan gives more of a kick to the title track."

09> Wasnme/Konstantin Sibold - Standing Hi [Caramel]
"Excellent EP from two new names for me and on this evidence, I'll be keeping an eye out on their future output. Wasnme is particularly excellent here, providing 3 great cuts of which the stand-out has to be Standing Hi, the title track. This is mainly down to its bouncy bassline"

10> Medlar/KRL/Maxxi Soundsystem/Weekend Express - Wolf EP 11 [Wolf Music]
"This is an interesting and varied EP on Wolf Music, starting with the obvious standout choice by Medlar. 'Static' is an acid House number worthy of a mention but it's the two disco cuts on the flip that have really grabbed my attention. I'm not sure when I'll play them, but they're both excellent tracks"