PDA

View Full Version : Calling out: Pontus for production battle

dj symptoms
02-09-2012, 12:04 AM
What do you say? We come up with some rules and each make a track, maybe a remix or a beat based around a certain sample, then post it up for voting? :slayer:

PONTUS.2
02-09-2012, 01:35 AM
nice! just saw the thread

Im up for it :slayer:

perhaps someone on the forum can post a sample and then we both have to flip the sample for our beat?

dj symptoms
02-09-2012, 02:23 AM
Yeah that's what I was thinkin... but it's gotta be a good one. I can't come up with something I'm proud of when I start with something I don't even like. We could pick a tune from way back, like Nautilus or Apache or something, and flip those samples with our own and see what we come up with. Or we could track down some stems to a song and choose a hiphop acapella (I have tons), then see whose creation is better. I've been in a real production slump lately and I only start coming up with good shit when I have some motivation.

PONTUS.2
02-09-2012, 04:18 AM
i cant do the acapella thing cuz i literally only have 1 on vinyl + no serato

definitely agree it needs to be a proper sample.

what other rules do you want within it?

should these beats be with the intention for someone to rap over or just instrumental hip hop with sounds scattered through out the beat etc.?

synths allowed? say i want to add a bassline?

dj symptoms
02-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Yeah I'm thinking we add whatever we want of our own sounds; drum tracks, basslines, synths, keys, whatever you think makes it sound dope. We should just pick something basic as a starting point and we each flip it however we want. Just gotta agree on a sample and a song length limit... as far as the acapella goes, I have a really good collection of mp3 acapellas, I could send you whichever one we choose. Or we could just keep it mostly instrumental. I'm up for whatever.

PONTUS.2
02-09-2012, 09:36 PM
rules:so far

-hip hop beat
-2:00 minutes max
-any sounds allowed (synths, samples, effects, scratches(no scratch solos) etc.) but must include "battle sample" as the basis of your track

im down to use nautilus i guess. well known sample so everyone judging will get it.

i think i want to leave the acapella out and just make it for the beats. perhaps we can incorporate it into a future battle? :)

Lazy O
02-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Awesome! Can't wait to hear both tracks. :tup:

dj symptoms
02-09-2012, 10:56 PM
rules:so far

-hip hop beat
-2:00 minutes max
-any sounds allowed (synths, samples, effects, scratches(no scratch solos) etc.) but must include "battle sample" as the basis of your track

im down to use nautilus i guess. well known sample so everyone judging will get it.

i think i want to leave the acapella out and just make it for the beats. perhaps we can incorporate it into a future battle? :)

Sounds good... should we base the whole track around Nautilus, or should we try to take short samples of Nautilus and make it a new track? I'm down for either one, but we should decide on some kind of structure so that the judging is easier in the end.

Dj_4-$hure
02-10-2012, 12:34 AM
Man! This sounds good, can't wait. Good luck to both.

PONTUS.2
02-10-2012, 01:53 AM
Sounds good... should we base the whole track around Nautilus, or should we try to take short samples of Nautilus and make it a new track? I'm down for either one, but we should decide on some kind of structure so that the judging is easier in the end.

hmm i guess it should be like this...

1. we sample nautilus, chop it up, take whatever sounds/snippets we want to use

2. sequence those chops over a drum beat to create a loop. you can create multiple loops within the beat or just use one, doesnt matter.

3. add whatever else you want to after that like bass, one shots, effects etc.

PONTUS.2
02-14-2012, 02:12 PM
bump :ninja:

dj symptoms
02-15-2012, 02:19 AM
Sounds good... any limit on how long each sample can be?

PONTUS.2
02-16-2012, 09:53 PM
^^^
how does 15 seconds of sample time sound?

if you go over the limit a little its okay

also i was thinking a week from the day we officially confirm the rules will be the due date. enough time to cook something up no? 2 weeks?