PDA

View Full Version : I crab sideways

Phi
06-10-2012, 10:15 PM
I recently realized that I crab sideways, like rolling off the side of the fader cap, not the top. I think it is what's been making them sloppy, and I'm trying to relearn the right way, but if I had a double sided cap I might not have to. Anyone else have this problem?

djlotus
06-10-2012, 10:42 PM
I do the same but mine sound decent. I'm not consistent though. I was chalking that up to my being a beginner. I'll try coming over the top to see if helps.

Phi
06-10-2012, 10:45 PM
It does help for me; makes them sound cleaner, but I think it's more the rounded edge on top than anything in my technique.

Sigma
06-11-2012, 01:09 AM
Doesn't everyone crab sideways? I'm not sure what you mean.

Phi
06-11-2012, 01:14 AM
You can roll off the top of the cap like a twiddle, or off the side of the cap.

Sigma
06-11-2012, 01:18 AM
It's always off the side though. It just depends where on the side your fingers are hitting. Hitting literally the top of the cap wouldn't move it sideways!

Phi
06-11-2012, 01:28 AM
You totally don't understand what I'm talking about bro, there is a "topside" edge and the edge closest to your stomach. Two different edges to roll off of.

Phi
06-11-2012, 01:30 AM
I'm crabbing hamster btw

I also beatjuggle hamster.

Sigma
06-11-2012, 01:35 AM
I have no idea what you're talking about, lol. When I crab, my fingers hit the area of the fader I've highlighted here: -

http://i.imgur.com/Aknyj.jpg

There's no other way to do it.

Phi
06-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Mine hit there as well, but I don't "tap" crabs.

It's more like pinching the cap between my fingers and thumb and then sliding my fingers off to the right of that arrow. However, it seems cleaner if I slide them of above the arrow like a twiddle.

The "up" way is more like "curling" the fingers in, and the "side" way is like brushing your fingertips with your thumb.

AYoo
06-11-2012, 12:42 PM
?? is it just me or does it seems like it wouldn't matter where u slide your fingers off from, side or top.
just focus on getting the timing of the gaps inbetween each click to sound right.
like u dont want the gaps real short and fast on a track where it makes more sense to have smoother slower crabs. and vice versa

also FYI i slide off the top of the fader cap. but i really dont think it should hinder the sound as long as the clicks or timed good.

Phi
06-11-2012, 01:53 PM
But it does change the technique a little, and it's either the technique or the rounded edge that makes a difference because I have half decent decent crabs anyway.

AYoo
06-11-2012, 10:01 PM
hmmm... upon closer inspection of my crabs (LOL!) ... i noticed i tend to roll of the corner actually, depending which way/where im standing i guess?

i still say the trick is to just be comfortable with it no matter where you roll your finger off from and just focus on the timing of the clicks.

Phi
06-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Word.

darkfade
06-22-2012, 02:44 PM
I'm crabbing hamster btw

I also beatjuggle hamster.

me too :D

i've found if you put the index at the upper corner of the fader, and your thumb on the opposite corner.. the "spring" becomes almost automatic

Pri yon Joni
06-26-2012, 06:58 PM
it doesnt matter what it looks like so long as it sounds right

Phi
06-26-2012, 08:02 PM
it doesnt matter what it looks like so long as it sounds right

Exactly. That's why I noted that it sounds slightly different when I modify the technique.

I'm just going about practicing my regular (sideways) technique, and they sound pretty good, but I still think that if my fader had the same shape on the side as the top that it would make a difference in the "feel" :)

Pri yon Joni
06-26-2012, 11:18 PM
Exactly. That's why I noted that it sounds slightly different when I modify the technique.

I'm just going about practicing my regular (sideways) technique, and they sound pretty good, but I still think that if my fader had the same shape on the side as the top that it would make a difference in the "feel" :)

thin and wide faders seem to be a favorite shape like the rane faders, as oppose to thick faders like on numarks

neks
06-27-2012, 07:46 AM
I think it should not matter where your fingers "exit", you should be able to do nice crabs both ways.

It all depends on the position of your hand on the crossfader as you don't want to move it too much in between techniques

Phi
07-07-2012, 04:13 PM
hmmm... upon closer inspection of my crabs (LOL!) ... i noticed i tend to roll of the corner actually, depending which way/where im standing i guess?

i still say the trick is to just be comfortable with it no matter where you roll your finger off from and just focus on the timing of the clicks.

me too :D

i've found if you put the index at the upper corner of the fader, and your thumb on the opposite corner.. the "spring" becomes almost automatic

Ok, I did some testing and I think darkfade has the solution ^^

When I "downstroke" the fader, like I was normally doing, I would "exit" on the bottom corner. That is the thickest
part of the fader and seems to be the point of least leverage in this technique. If "exit" on the upper corner the clicks are both tighter and come with less pressure.

Thanks for the help!