PDA

View Full Version : CDJs...advantages/disadvantages?

icebeat
06-08-2012, 03:20 PM
As an aspiring dj (mainly a producer) I’ve been going nuts trying to decide whether or not to buy a controller or CDJ’s (mainly the 800mk2s). What would be some of the advantages/disadvantages to using CDJs as opposed to say the Traktor S2 controller or like? Are CDJs still relevant in clubs?

P.S. Not sure if it matters, but aesthetically I think the look and feel of a CDJ will suit me

Thanks!

Sigma
06-08-2012, 03:40 PM
CDJs are still pretty much a standard in clubs, which is the main advantage. Not only do you get used to using them by owning them, you don't have to take equipment with you when you play a gig. The main disadvantage is the price.

DJ Elroy
06-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Yes, I'd say CDJs are stocked in most decent sized clubs.

With a controller you'd also need to bring out a laptop or something. I personally like the feel of the CDJs better, and if you're scratching I think it usually sounds better on a mixer vs a controller, but I've got limited desk space and the controller fits my needs better.

There's also the price differences to think about.

DJ STU-C
06-08-2012, 03:42 PM
what do you mix with??? cds, DVS(serato, traktor etc) or a usb stick?? that should be the first thing you think about when purchasing hardware

ben mills
06-08-2012, 04:02 PM
The 800s only have a .05 pitch resolution. If you are going to be a "mixer" I'd recommend something with .02, such as the CDJ-400 or 850 and higher.

More expensive, but worth it.

As a new guy coming in, if you decide on CDJs, I might recommend the CDJ-1000 MK3 (used). Not only does it have the .02 resolution but also the adjustable jog wheel resistance, which makes a big difference when you get down to really fine beatmatching.

DJ STU-C
06-08-2012, 05:22 PM
you know what ben all these years I've never considered the difference in pitch range between the players, a really good point though, it doesn't seem much but it's the difference between a mix drifting and not drifting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Era 7
06-08-2012, 06:38 PM
you can mix and even do long blends perfectly fine with .05. just putting that out there.

Hausgeist
06-08-2012, 07:42 PM
you can mix and even do long blends perfectly fine with .05. just putting that out there.

I'd even suggest .1% is perfectly fine for mixing. It just depends on who is using the deck.

Sam Whitman
06-08-2012, 08:59 PM
I just got CDJ 900's I highly recommend them..

ben mills
06-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Of course you can...just depends on how much you want to be adjusting the platter.

mantis
06-08-2012, 10:41 PM
the zero points makes very little difference on the cdj 800's. sure the idea of being much more accurate is good, but as a "mixer" i think it makes very little difference. CDJ 800 is a good set if you are trying to learn the basics and get good at it. Its good for pros too, so good bonus.

A second hand set would not cost too much but still more than a controller

Atomisk
06-09-2012, 01:50 AM
I just got CDJ 900's I highly recommend them..
Are they really worth the price? Any downsides to 2000s you've noticed? I'm currently saving up for a pair of Rekord box compatible CD players and I haven't settled on what to get yet. Definitely the 850 or higher - Refurbished ofc.

Marc S
06-09-2012, 02:55 AM

I'd even suggest .1% is perfectly fine for mixing. It just depends on who is using the deck.

i quite agree, when we used denon twins with only a 0.1 we mixed perfectly smooth for years on them, and 99% of dj's i know leave cdj's on the 10% range which is .05 anyway.

dj daywalker
06-09-2012, 03:13 AM

that will require constant, constant adjustment

bobbyd
06-09-2012, 07:46 AM
Some dj's like to nudge the record and others want to get it just perfect. I think it is a style issue as well as a technical issue.

bumpyjonas
06-09-2012, 10:55 AM
In NYC and surrounding areas the CDJ 1000's are still primarily used (CDJ 2000's are gaining steam). CDJ's allow the flexibility to play without the use of a laptop and dvs system. For me sometimes I like to spin without the DVS/Laptop and play off CD's and usb drives.

Sublim&All
06-09-2012, 11:00 AM
A question about this: how large/small is this percentage with Technics turntables? I got a pair but I wouldn't even know that:uhoh:

/hijack thread

bumpyjonas
06-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Are they really worth the price? Any downsides to 2000s you've noticed? I'm currently saving up for a pair of Rekord box compatible CD players and I haven't settled on what to get yet. Definitely the 850 or higher - Refurbished ofc.

The only downside to the CDJ 2000's is the price, besides that the performance and features of decks are awesome, from reviews and user feedback of the CDJ's 900, are awesome also.

Era 7
06-09-2012, 11:15 AM
A question about this: how large/small is this percentage with Technics turntables? I got a pair but I wouldn't even know that:uhoh:

/hijack thread

they don't have a specific resolution since they are analog and not digital. the analog pitch is completely stepless. imagine the CDJ pitch as a stair while a technics pitch would be a straight line.

mostapha
06-10-2012, 02:12 PM
The 800s only have a .05 pitch resolution.Irrelevant.

A question about this: how large/small is this percentage with Technics turntables?they don't have a specific resolution since they are analog and not digital. the analog pitch is completely stepless. imagine the CDJ pitch as a stair while a technics pitch would be a straight line.

That's not entirely true. Manufacturing tolerances in the pitch fader, control circuitry, and motor add up to something like a resolution…but it's not easily measurable and also changes based on the age/condition of the fader.

In practice and having owned them…1200mk2s feel a fair bit less precise than CDJs at 0.05%. m5gs are closer but still just less precise than .02 and probably less precise than .05.

Pitch resolution is largely irrelevant. If you think you've got things locked and don't need to babysit, there's a very good chance that your ears aren't good enough to hear how bad you're flamming.

@OP: the difference is that controllers require computers and have more capabilities. CDJs don't require a computer and are less complicated to use. I'd recommend newer CDJs than the 800mk2s but only because it gets annoying to burn and keep track of CDs if you're already used to a media player.

Andrew B
06-10-2012, 02:38 PM
and 99% of dj's i know leave cdj's on the 10% range which is .05 anyway.

This. When you turn on a CDJ-1000, it's at .05%.

Irrational_Fear
06-10-2012, 05:28 PM
99% of dj's i know leave cdj's on the 10% range which is .05 anyway.

This. When you turn on a CDJ-1000, it's at .05%.

+1 After buying the CDJ900s I tried both the 6% and 10% ranges. The .05 resolution @ 10% feels much closer to everything else I've used and hasn't caused me any problems so I've left it on that. I certainly don't find I'm adjusting the jogwheel like a madman.

Connor
06-11-2012, 12:30 AM
I use 6% pitch personally, it feels right.

Manu
06-11-2012, 06:40 AM
Irrelevant.

That's not entirely true. Manufacturing tolerances in the pitch fader, control circuitry, and motor add up to something like a resolution…but it's not easily measurable and also changes based on the age/condition of the fader.

In practice and having owned them…1200mk2s feel a fair bit less precise than CDJs at 0.05%. m5gs are closer but still just less precise than .02 and probably less precise than .05.

Pitch resolution is largely irrelevant. If you think you've got things locked and don't need to babysit, there's a very good chance that your ears aren't good enough to hear how bad you're flamming.

@OP: the difference is that controllers require computers and have more capabilities. CDJs don't require a computer and are less complicated to use. I'd recommend newer CDJs than the 800mk2s but only because it gets annoying to burn and keep track of CDs if you're already used to a media player.

It's pretty much down to wow and flutter. It will also vary on the record pressing quality. I have seen a record, custom pressed for Janek Schaffer; it was recorded totally off center so the cartridge would have an elliptical movement. Practically speaking it is impossible to set the pitch right on that thing since it varies constantly.

Back to CDJs and I can't think of limitations. As long as it has an accurate pitch control, a precise jog wheel and navigation that is quick enough, anything else is a feature. Plus you don't depend on a laptop to get going, making the setup less prone to crash.

Kingbob182
06-11-2012, 07:02 AM
I use 6% pitch personally, it feels right.

This. If you need to keep it on 10% you need to look at your track selection and ask yourself why the bpm is varying so much

Irrational_Fear
06-11-2012, 07:57 AM
This. If you need to keep it on 10% you need to look at your track selection and ask yourself why the bpm is varying so much

This isn't the reason I keep it on 10% (I normally only vary bpm 3-4% over an hour long mix, and as someone who is not a fan of the 'master tempo' feature I tend to keep songs within 1 or 2 bpm of each other).

I just prefer the feel of it on 10% to 6%. I guess all the older systems I've used before have all been around this resolution so it just feels 'right'. I have no problems keeping tracks in sync for extended periods of time using 10% so as yet I've not been too fussed about getting used to the 6% range. :)

mostapha
06-11-2012, 09:15 AM
A lot of CDJ pitch faders are physically longer than 1200 pitch faders…IIRC, 10% feels more natural if you're used to 1200s…at least that's what I remember from the last time I spun on CDJs. It was a while ago.

Era 7
06-11-2012, 09:32 AM
A lot of CDJ pitch faders are physically longer than 1200 pitch faders…IIRC

don't think so. just measured. tech 1210MKII - 11cm. CDJ-800MK1 - 10,5cm

Sam Whitman
06-11-2012, 11:27 AM

I pulled a pair off ebay for about $1500 just gotta be patient and wait for the right sale. You can get them for $1808 from pioneer direct refurb. I think they are totally worth it but only if you are still using DVS. 2000's are great if you don't want to use Serato. I will use 2000's without Serato at gigs where they are supplied for me and I already know exactly what I am playing. However, for my mobile gigs and the events I play where I bring my own equipment I will still bring my lappy with Serato because I have so much music and I never know when I am going to need to grab a random song or have an idea for something that I wouldn't normally bring on a thumb drive.

No downsides to the 2000's that I have seen besides costing about as much as my car...but I also wouldn't consider the CDJ 900 a "new" player. Honestly if they hadn't changed the look of it, they probably would have just called it the CDJ 1000mk4 because that's really what it is and I loved the 1000's with this you get new looks, all the functionality of the 1000, and the digital functionality of the next generation players.

Connor
06-11-2012, 12:12 PM
This isn't the reason I keep it on 10% (I normally only vary bpm 3-4% over an hour long mix, and as someone who is not a fan of the 'master tempo' feature I tend to keep songs within 1 or 2 bpm of each other).

I just prefer the feel of it on 10% to 6%. I guess all the older systems I've used before have all been around this resolution so it just feels 'right'. I have no problems keeping tracks in sync for extended periods of time using 10% so as yet I've not been too fussed about getting used to the 6% range. :)

I use master tempo and absolutely love it, I like not having vocals sound like chipmunks.

mostapha
06-11-2012, 12:16 PM
don't think so. just measured. tech 1210MKII - 11cm. CDJ-800MK1 - 10,5cm

Weird. Using them next to each other, the CDJ faders felt like they were longer. Maybe something to do with the resistance? Or maybe I just made it up.

icebeat
06-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks a lot everyone...very cool points about beatmatching consistency and overall answers to the question. After doing more research I've found so many advantages and disadvantages of CDJs vs. controllers but in the end it comes down to what suits you (and your budget hehe).

Era 7
06-12-2012, 02:49 AM
Weird. Using them next to each other, the CDJ faders felt like they were longer. Maybe something to do with the resistance? Or maybe I just made it up.

probably. the technics fader feels a lot heavier compared to the ones on the CDJ.

mostapha
06-12-2012, 06:13 AM
After doing more research I've found so many advantages and disadvantages of CDJs vs. controllers but in the end it comes down to what suits you (and your budget hehe).:bing:

You learned a valuable lesson today.

I've used basically every major way of DJing and while I stand by my current choice for where I am and what I want to do, I don't really have that much of a pereference (except that I hate sync because it doesn't work automatically enough to be worth the effort).