PDA

View Full Version : Denon SC-2900 is Official

DJ Highline
06-08-2012, 09:56 AM
http://www.dm-pro.eu/en/denondj/products/92/sc2900-digital-controller-and-media-player/

http://www.dm-pro.eu/images/content/4fd1dd3624fec_lightbox.jpg

• Compatible with included ENGINE Music Management Software (PC/Mac)

• ENGINE iPad app available for easy file searching and player status display

• Player Link function for sharing USB drives across multiple SC2900 / SC3900s (up to four) and for connection to ENGINE software (PC/Mac/ iPad).

• 7-inch Touch Sensitive ‘Eclipse’ Platter with LED Cue & Position Marker

• Seamless switching between media source devices

• Natively supported by TraktorTM 2 software, TraktorTM LE 2 included

• Built-In USB / MIDI control function

• Built-In USB audio interface (ASIO / CORE compliant)

• Supports CD-DA, CD-ROM and audio playback from USB memory devices (AAC, AIFF, MP3, WAV)

• Burr Brown 24 bit DAC processing for superior audio fidelity

• Redesigned PLAY and CUE buttons for greater tactile feel and response

• Fast search and quick jump functions

• Top mounted USB port for USB stick and hard disk drives

• 4 dedicated Hot Cues (8 in MIDI mode via MIDI layer option)

• Auto / manual loop functions

• New SLIP function with dedicated button

• Deep pitch resolution and key adjust

• 4-Way BPM counter (Auto BPM, Manual TAP, Manual BPM, Reads BPM Metadata)

• BPM sync feature

• 3-way pitch bend functionality

• Digital output

• Fast loading slot-in drive

As always Denon makes things interesting...Looking forward to these...may have to do some saving....

In stores October 2012 - Italian Denon site says 800 Euro which will probably be about $800 US

brichi
06-08-2012, 01:46 PM
AGIPRO lists it for $850US just so you guys know

Lost Connection
06-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Those things look pretty nice, gotta go and try 'em out :D

JohnXVI
06-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Those things look pretty nice, gotta go and try 'em out :D

I gotta say the more I see them, the more I want them.

prODucer
06-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Hmm...looks like these will blow the cdj 850s away. Maybe even the 900s for some people.

Hausgeist
06-08-2012, 05:16 PM
I gotta say the more I see them, the more I want them.

John, who are you kidding? You want everything. :lol:

Tektonix
06-08-2012, 05:18 PM
It Looks Slightly Less Ugly From This Angle

DJ STU-C
06-08-2012, 05:19 PM
a very interesting addition to the dj equipment community. I'd have liked bigger cue buttons and maybe arranged vertically down the left hand side of the player but pretty much everything else seems great including the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ Highline
06-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Hmm...looks like these will blow the cdj 850s away. Maybe even the 900s for some people.

I'd even put them up against the CDJ-2000, I can only think of about 2 or 3 things the CDJ-2000 does that this player doesn't and there are about 2 or 3 things this player does that the CDJ-2000 doesn't...so its a wash.

ampnation
06-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Pioneer? Hear that knocking sound?

JohnXVI
06-08-2012, 06:55 PM
John, who are you kidding? You want everything. :lol:

hahaha busted.

prODucer
06-08-2012, 09:26 PM
I'd even put them up against the CDJ-2000, I can only think of about 2 or 3 things the CDJ-2000 does that this player doesn't and there are about 2 or 3 things this player does that the CDJ-2000 doesn't...so its a wash.

Very true! Yet still Pioneer will exist and flourish. Denon lacks something that Pioneer has. I own a pair of cdj900s and sometimes even I wonder why I didnt save a pile of cash and buy the 3700s..

hoff
06-08-2012, 10:29 PM

:slayer:

brichi
06-09-2012, 12:10 AM
funny how someone makes this comment with every Denon deck that's released, lol...

I dont think Pioneer is worried, the CDJ decks will be the club standard for a very long time IMO similar to the way Technics are the TT standard, other manufacturers have tried to compete and get into the turntable industry standard but Techs are still in clubs and they dont even make them anymore! Not saying the Denon deck is better or worse, just IMO think it is not taking over as the club standard being that Pioneer or Techs are pretty much all the big guys want at the club from their riders. They are familiar with it, easy to use and reliable and they are not paying for it so they dont care if its $850 or $1850, If "name a top dj" wants 2000's at a club, they will be there. Its up to Denon to get these big guys on board so they request them

DJ Highline
06-09-2012, 06:27 AM
I think this is about the first time you and I have agreed on Pioneer vs Denon. I do think Pioneer is worried about this deck when it comes to the CDJ-850 & 900. Anyone who is considering purchasing those decks can not ignore this player from Denon and its feature set which rivals a CDJ-2000. But as far as toppling the CDJ-2000 from booths, I think you are right that Denon has to get about a dozen top tier DJs to put a Denon player exclusively on their riders and make sure rental houses in key markets (Miami, NYC, Chicago, London, Ibiza etc) have several pair in stock.

I also think that Denon should introduce a $1500 deck that has a big onboard screen, that has all of the lost functions of the HS5500 and will play video files. Because the other major selling point of the CDJ-2000 is that at $1800 each, its an item only the pros and the very well off can afford. It has exclusivity. This player as great as it is, is priced where anyone who is serious about DJing can get them (which is great) but it also means that it is not a huge status symbol either. But I digress...

JohnXVI
06-09-2012, 07:55 AM
You are absolutely right. It is human nature to try and reach a certain status by owning things that others just dream about.

DJ Highline
07-20-2012, 12:21 AM
Looks like the SC2900 has hit the stores and there is this pretty nice overview of a lot of the features:

http://youtu.be/aZ3d3l4anqY

Ryan Verkley
08-03-2012, 11:52 AM
I Think im going to get these over pioneer as im mostly a bedroom DJ, these will save me money but give me lotso features :). When i play bars etc i bring my own gear so i think these will be awesome.

Anyone know when they come to Canada or at least the States?

Estacy
08-03-2012, 12:27 PM
dj delementary rocking 4 2900s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cO4do7E-Zo&feature=youtu.be

swine
08-03-2012, 12:28 PM
It still looks cheap :/

I better go find a store that has it on display!

DJ Highline
08-03-2012, 12:46 PM
I Think im going to get these over pioneer as im mostly a bedroom DJ, these will save me money but give me lotso features :). When i play bars etc i bring my own gear so i think these will be awesome.

Anyone know when they come to Canada or at least the States?

Supposedly October

It still looks cheap :/

I better go find a store that has it on display!

What are you kidding me...what looks cheap about them?

Ryan Verkley
08-03-2012, 04:51 PM
I think they look awesome! Every feature i want for much cheaper than pio. Imagine if clubs had 2 2900's and 2 3900's all linked together to play off one source they would cater DJ's who like the CDJ feel and DJ's who like the Vinyl feel. I think it's very smart of Denon even if they don't catch on it's an impressive product line.

Im planning on getting these and an Ipad with a stand instead of a laptop. Then prolly a x1600 mixer to go with it.

Scott Michael
08-03-2012, 05:10 PM
I think they look awesome! Every feature i want for much cheaper than pio. Imagine if clubs had 2 2900's and 2 3900's all linked together to play off one source they would cater DJ's who like the CDJ feel and DJ's who like the Vinyl feel. I think it's very smart of Denon even if they don't catch on it's an impressive product line.

Im planning on getting these and an Ipad with a stand instead of a laptop. Then prolly a x1600 mixer to go with it.

Pioneer should definitely look at being able to link "2,3, or 4" controllers/cdjs together, that is one novel idea...... Isn't the whole point of CDJ type players to ditch the laptop? If the screen/browser functions are adequate there should be no need to bring a ipad/computer with. Maybe I'm just a Pioneer fanboy but I truly don't see anything great about these controllers/cdjs, besides the price.

Irrational_Fear
08-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Pioneer should definitely look at being able to link "2,3, or 4" controllers/cdjs together, that is one novel idea...... Isn't the whole point of CDJ type players to ditch the laptop? If the screen/browser functions are adequate there should be no need to bring a ipad/computer with. Maybe I'm just a Pioneer fanboy but I truly don't see anything great about these controllers/cdjs, besides the price.

The Pioneer CDJ900s & 2000s can be linked up to 4 units. I use my 900s linked so I only need one usb drive with music plugged into a single player. Also, a taglist created on one player will show up on all the players linked to it- I find this extremely useful- the link feature was one of the reasons that made me get the 900s over the 850s.

I have to say, based purely on the features they offer, I will certainly be checking them out when they reach stores- I could definately 'consider' trading in my CDJ900s for a pair. I've absolutely loved all the Denon stuff I've tried- it was only the lack of future firmware support and a slight preference for a jogwheel layout that stopped me from getting a pair of 3700s before I bought my CDJ900s. I think the only sticking point might be the screen, I wouldn't want to have to hook up a laptop/iPad to get a decent info display/browse function- the screen on the 900 is more than adequate for this.

I can sort of understand the comments on it looking a bit cheap, but then personally I think the only CD decks I've tried from the last few years that didn't look cheap are the Pioneer CDJ1000s and the Denon 3700s. The CDJ900s & 2000s are just a hive of plastic, and suprisingly lightweight, but I don't hold it against them- they are still awesome to use! :tup:

swine
08-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Supposedly October

What are you kidding me...what looks cheap about them?

NO I'm not kidding you. Those big rubber buttons look cheap. And the glowing blue/red LED platter makes it look cheap too.

I just hate the rubber denon buttons.. sorry... I had one of their cdjs and thought the same thing the entire time i was using it

Scott Michael
08-04-2012, 10:47 AM
The Pioneer CDJ900s & 2000s can be linked up to 4 units. I use my 900s linked so I only need one usb drive with music plugged into a single player. Also, a taglist created on one player will show up on all the players linked to it- I find this extremely useful- the link feature was one of the reasons that made me get the 900s over the 850s.

I was being sarcastic.... with my comment. These players will target a certain market of dj but it will not "take over" as the industry standard or "knock on the door" on the door of Pioneer. There is a reason Pioneer CDJ's are industry standard and its not just due to big names requesting them.

Ryan Verkley
08-04-2012, 11:26 AM
I agree they will not take over in clubs, and they failed on marketing them that way. But for someone living in canada the cdj-900's are $1400 after tax each. If these come in around $899 that's $1000 cheaper for the pair, which is huge for decks that have pretty much the same features. I have no doubt they will be good quality as denon is a great company and produces quality gear. The ipad is optional and the screen isn't much different than the cdj-850 in that price range so i still think the ipad option is a plus, especially if you already have one. Im sure if pioneer had this ipad feature on the 900's it would be this great feature people loved, so i dont see why people make this feature seem like a detriment on the Denons.

I do think denon should make a more expensive model with a nice screen and maybe dual soundcards again so you can use them as 2 decks each.

Irrational_Fear
08-04-2012, 12:06 PM
I was being sarcastic.... with my comment. These players will target a certain market of dj but it will not "take over" as the industry standard or "knock on the door" on the door of Pioneer. There is a reason Pioneer CDJ's are industry standard and its not just due to big names requesting them.

Ah I missed that- it was late when I was typing it in my defence! :blank:

And yes, totally agree on other points. If the SC2900 gives those people who arn't too fussed about 'club standard' stuff a significantly cheaper, but still extremely capable alternative, it can only be a good thing in my opinion.

DJ Highline
08-05-2012, 10:21 AM
NO I'm not kidding you. Those big rubber buttons look cheap. And the glowing blue/red LED platter makes it look cheap too.

I just hate the rubber denon buttons.. sorry... I had one of their cdjs and thought the same thing the entire time i was using it

If you get your head out of Pioneer's ass and actually read, they changed the cue and play buttons from the traditional Denon rubber (which I actually like) to hard plastic like Pioneer's...sorry they're not round too. The "eclipse platter" well that's a personal thing I can see how some would like it and some not. I personally like it and the fact that you can change how it displays information and the color. I just wish they had taken it one step further and added a green LED to make it an RGB ring.

I think they are a very significant knock on Pioneer's door. Pioneer hates Denon and Denon hates Pioneer. Trust me, Pioneer is watching this one very closely. I think the major reason that Pioneer has become a club standard are big name DJs requesting them on their riders (and pioneer giving a shit ton of them away which they pass that cost on to its paying customers). If Denon were able to get 20-30% of the big name DJs to start requesting either the SC3900 or SC2900, you would really start to see a shift in the club market place.

I agree they will not take over in clubs, and they failed on marketing them that way. But for someone living in canada the cdj-900's are $1400 after tax each. If these come in around $899 that's $1000 cheaper for the pair, which is huge for decks that have pretty much the same features. I have no doubt they will be good quality as denon is a great company and produces quality gear. The ipad is optional and the screen isn't much different than the cdj-850 in that price range so i still think the ipad option is a plus, especially if you already have one. Im sure if pioneer had this ipad feature on the 900's it would be this great feature people loved, so i dont see why people make this feature seem like a detriment on the Denons.

I do think denon should make a more expensive model with a nice screen and maybe dual soundcards again so you can use them as 2 decks each.

Denon's bread and butter are the mobile and bedroom DJs. But they are starting to push this deck toward the clubs. Their marketing has gotten better overall as well. The new advertising campaign is "the new king of clubs". How they are going to make that happen not sure, but they are in a position where they can make a push if they have a solid game plan. Lets face it, you can install 2 x SC2900, 2 S x SC3900 a DN-X1700, router and I-pad for about the same cost as 2 x CDJ2000 + DJM-900. Throw in an SL box and you can pretty much cater to any DJ walking into your club. (Or hell can you imagine if you put a Rane 68 in instead of the X1700...just saying :love: ) But it only makes sense if people are requesting them. So Denon has to get big names requesting them.

Also I did suggest that Denon should come out with a higher priced deck. Mostly because of perceived value. People have this strange belief that if it cost more it must be better. That is not always the case. But to capitalize on this psychology, I think Denon should introduce a $1500 deck. If they can pretty much step on Pioneer's flagship player with a $850 deck imagine the deck they can produce for $1300- 1500. Plus now they have an elite deck that not everybody and afford...something that is a status symbol...because most people like to measure the penis size by the price of their toys.

DJ Bob
08-08-2012, 05:26 AM
I think they are a very significant knock on Pioneer's door. Pioneer hates Denon and Denon hates Pioneer. Trust me, Pioneer is watching this one very closely. I think the major reason that Pioneer has become a club standard are big name DJs requesting them on their riders (and pioneer giving a shit ton of them away which they pass that cost on to its paying customers). If Denon were able to get 20-30% of the big name DJs to start requesting either the SC3900 or SC2900, you would really start to see a shift in the club market place.

they're a knock on the door 2 years too late.
cdj2000s are the club standard because they are currently the best cdj out there. if another manufacturer came along and made something significantly better then DJs would jump ship and adopt the new product no problem. all the top guys want to be using the best equipment.

unfortunately denon have just tried to mimic the functionality of the cdj2000/900 range at a much cheaper price instead of really pushing new innovation at the top end. the biggest failing is the tiny screen in their flagship player.

i expect the next gen players from pioneer (which are rumoured to be announced next week) to raise the bar further.

DJ Highline
08-08-2012, 06:01 PM
they're a knock on the door 2 years too late.
cdj2000s are the club standard because they are currently the best cdj out there. if another manufacturer came along and made something significantly better then DJs would jump ship and adopt the new product no problem. all the top guys want to be using the best equipment.

unfortunately denon have just tried to mimic the functionality of the cdj2000/900 range at a much cheaper price instead of really pushing new innovation at the top end. the biggest failing is the tiny screen in their flagship player.

i expect the next gen players from pioneer (which are rumoured to be announced next week) to raise the bar further.

I disagree...the Dn-S3700 is very much on par feature wise to the CDJ-2000 granted the networking ability and larger screen is what really made the CDJ-2000 stand out. The new S3900/2900 is even better and is probably the best player in the market right now...Period. The fact of the matter is that Pioneer players are good and this Denon player is just as good if not better. Denon did not mimic the features of the CDJ-2000, they listened to what the users were asking for and gave it to them. In some cases they went backwards and put stuff back in that they took out (like sharing of files between 2 players). In other cases they refined things that they currently offered. Did you know that Denon was offering file management (Denon Music Manager) software for years before Pioneer ever paid Mixvibes to develop Rekordbox? Engine takes the concept that Denon had years ago, that Pioneer refined and made it better. They were offering something similar to slip mode years ago called echo loop in the S1200 & S3700. And in some cases added new things like the eclipse platter and Engine software. I could go on and on...the fact of the matter is that Denon offers a product equal in quality (many might even say better) to Pioneer, with more features for less money.

Now I will agree with you that I believe Denon should have included a larger full color display built in. But they opted to go the I-pad route. Which then gives you the largest display of any player. And before you go all I don't want to buy a router and carry it around with me. The fact of the matter is that if you are already moving these players, then whats the trouble in moving a small router too? If you show up and these are already installed, then guess what, a router is probably installed with them. As far as having to buy an I-pad is concerned, yea it kind of sucks, but A. the cost of two of these + an I-pad almost the same as 1 CDJ-2000 (and you can find them used for a lot less because you can use an I-Pad 1) B. you don't have to use an I-Pad, a little $200 netbook will work just as well.

There are a few reasons why Pioneer became a "club standard" 10 years ago.

1. They introduced a the table top player design and refined it with the CDJ-1000. It turns out that DJs really like the table top concept as opposed to the rack mount. Denon was late to recognize this and that opened the window for Pioneer. Furthermore it took Denon a number of years to figure out how to build a good table top player through trials and errors...along the way they introduced alot of great concepts like alpha track (and for the record, Pioneer has yet to build a decent rack mounted player) and Denon Music Manager (you know the software that analyzes and manages your music and lets you build playlist...sounds familiar)

2. Pioneer gives a ton of product away to superstar DJs and nightclubs. If you had a company who makes a very good product come in and give you free gear, why would you buy the competition's product? But guess what...all of that free gear has to be paid for...and guess who pays for it? The consumer. you and everybody else that goes out and buys Pioneer products. I mean come on...do you really believe there is $1800 worth of parts, R & D and reasonable profit in the CDJ-2000?

3. Because of this they have built momentum in the club scene and just like there are better turntables than the Technics 1200s, no manufacturer was able to overcome the momentum that the 1200 had built up. Even Vestax couldn't do it and they had (even to this day) some of the best turntables on the market with tons of DJs representing their products. Pioneer has built similar momentum and quite frankly it may be too much for any manufacturer to overcome in the club market. But guess what...Denon is the choice for professionals that pay for their gear and that market is much bigger than club install.

Denon table top players have concentrated on spinning platter technology and it turns out that outside of scratching DJs, a good majority of DJs don't want the spinning platter. That's why they introduced the SC2900. I believe this is the first full sized non spinning platter player Denon has made (correct me if I am wrong). So where as their other players were somewhat niche to the scratch DJ, this player is a full on assault at Pioneer...this is Pioneer's territory. Before Pioneer could say hey our EDM DJs don't want that Denon spinning platter...but now...

Well yea...Denon is knocking on the door.

swine
08-08-2012, 08:53 PM
If you get your head out of Pioneer's ass and actually read, they changed the cue and play buttons from the traditional Denon rubber (which I actually like) to hard plastic like Pioneer's...sorry they're not round too. The "eclipse platter" well that's a personal thing I can see how some would like it and some not. I personally like it and the fact that you can change how it displays information and the color. I just wish they had taken it one step further and added a green LED to make it an RGB ring.

Pioneer has nothing to do with me not reading the press release... You just have to stop getting so butt hurt because someone doesnt like the same product you do.

brichi
08-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Denon Music Manager (you know the software that analyzes and manages your music and lets you build playlist...sounds familiar)

right, which they never got to run on a Mac which the majority of the heavy hitters use, great move on denons part to push that idea :lol:

DJ Highline
08-09-2012, 12:54 AM
Pioneer has nothing to do with me not reading the press release... You just have to stop getting so butt hurt because someone doesnt like the same product you do.

And that quote is in response to you spouting off about the rubber Denon buttons that you don't like and assuming that they were the same on the SC3900/2900 and if you would have read the press release you would have seen that they changed the buttons as well as all of the other features these players offer. The reason I said your head is up Pioneers ass is because it is obvious that you haven't even informed yourself on the product yet you are spouting off information like you have. Misinforming people...

My feelings are not hurt if someone buys Pioneer (you won't find me buying it anytime soon)...this is a free market, buy whatever you want. I have never recommended that someone not buy pioneer aside from the fact that their products are way over priced (which I think everybody on the planet will agree to) and that there are other products out there that offer similar if not better feature sets with equal quality. But if you want to buy Pioneer and you don't mind spending the money...by all means go ahead, they are great products for the most part...

right, which they never got to run on a Mac which the majority of the heavy hitters use, great move on denons part to push that idea :lol:

This is true they never got it to run on mac...but that doesn't negate the idea and concept. My thinking is that they developed it for Windows because most of the world's computers are Windows and at the time Mac was just starting to become the behemoth that it is now. So when they went to look at developing a Mac version, I would imagine that Engine was probably in the conceptual stage and they figured that it wouldn't make financial sense to develop a Mac version of a software that was going to be obsolete in a short time. I don't know that is the case...but it seems like the most logical explanation. But they had the concept of offline music management way before Pioneer even considered it...it just wasn't on your platform...but for a windows user like myself...it worked out well for me.

brichi
08-09-2012, 08:21 AM
This is true they never got it to run on mac...but that doesn't negate the idea and concept. My thinking is that they developed it for Windows because most of the world's computers are Windows and at the time Mac was just starting to become the behemoth that it is now. So when they went to look at developing a Mac version, I would imagine that Engine was probably in the conceptual stage and they figured that it wouldn't make financial sense to develop a Mac version of a software that was going to be obsolete in a short time. I don't know that is the case...but it seems like the most logical explanation. But they had the concept of offline music management way before Pioneer even considered it...it just wasn't on your platform...but for a windows user like myself...it worked out well for me.

right but we can go back and forth all day with who copied who on every piece of technology out there, now pioneer is doing wireless streaming from Rekordbox to controllers (which i am not a fan of at all) and I am sure Denon will add that to Engine eventually to play music wirelessly from mobile devices, so it will constantly be a copycat game and it all comes down to personal preference of what YOU want to use at a gig, I buy what I am comfortable using, pioneer, never had them fail on me at a gig so i keep using them

DJ Highline
08-09-2012, 08:34 AM
I agree with you Brichi...I am not a fan of streaming critical things like music...I prefer a hard connection. I'm sure that Engine could probably be coded to do that as well if Denon wanted to. And yes there will always be a back and forth of ideas and concepts and lets face it, that is a good thing. It produces better products for us the consumer in the end. If Pioneer hadn't come out with Rekordbox then maybe Denon would have been content to try to continue on with DMM we never know. I will not begrudge you if you feel most comfortable using Pioneer products (maybe tease you on how much you paid for them :lol: ) as long as you are still aware of other products out there and their benefits and merits.

brichi
08-09-2012, 09:38 AM
I will not begrudge you if you feel most comfortable using Pioneer products (maybe tease you on how much you paid for them )

LOL,,, dont tease, I got the money :) Plus i will pay more for the reliability and comfort during gigs, especially when I make the money right back within a few weeks

Archon
08-09-2012, 01:23 PM
normally i love denon, but this is pretty meh to me. id rather just have a 3900.

DJ Bob
08-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Did you know that Denon was offering file management (Denon Music Manager) software for years before Pioneer ever paid Mixvibes to develop Rekordbox?

did you know pioneer was offering file management software (DJ Booth in 2002) for years before Denon Music Manager? :)

a lot of what you're saying simply backs up my point though. that denon have simply 'caught up' with the 2000/900 range with the features (the small screen is a big missed opportunity though regardless of the ipad solution). my point is that denon could have really innovated their new players and raised the bar and therefore given themselves a chance at being requested by the big names.

i'd love to see someone give pioneer a run for their money. competition is good for the consumer but whilst these players are a step in the right direction, i don't see any clubs or djs swapping out the pioneers for these...