PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding between two systems.

underdogdj
06-08-2012, 02:10 AM
Hey everyone,

I am currently new to the whole DJ scene and am looking to make a purchase.

I will either be purchasing 2x Numark NDX400 / 1x Behringer VMX200USB
or the Traktor Kontrol S4.

The reason for this thread is I need opinions on what people believe to be a better
setup. e.g. pros and cons.

Thankyou.

DJ Highline
06-08-2012, 07:22 AM
I think you will find overwhelmingly people are going to say to go with the S4. Its a pretty powerful controller and it high quality especially compared to the mixer you have chosen.

underdogdj
06-08-2012, 08:34 AM
What advantages specifically does it have?
Does the Numark setup have anything over the S4?
Thank you for the response also.

RikkiGTR
06-08-2012, 09:08 AM
I'm not an expert, so take what I say with a pinch of salt, but...

I think the S4 is right up there with the best of controllers in that sort of price range. And seeing as it comes with the full version of Traktor Pro 2 - you'll be all set "out of the box". As DJ Highline said it is pretty powerful, and with the software you'll have basically limitless potential with your mixes.
Then the Numark CDJs and Behringer mixer. I don't know much about the CDJs, but I'm sure they are nowhere near as good as the 'simulated decks' you'll get with Traktor, with much less features and flexibility. The Behringer mixer itself is crap - I bought one just before I went digital with my Pioneer DDJ-T1, the sound was awful; when fading in a new track there was no sound... no sound... no sound... BOOM BOOM BOOM (you understand?) - this was regardless of which curve I used iirc.
Also, the BPM counter* was useless whereas on Traktor it is almost always razor-sharp accurate. Having said that I'm assuming the Numark CDJs have a beat counter themselves? I don't know much about them.

Still, would definitely recommend the S4.

*I like the BPM counter because it just saves time. I don't use auto-sync.

Irrational_Fear
06-08-2012, 09:51 AM
If you look, Ashayak started a thread asking for info on the Numark NDX400s and that Behringer mixer yesterday. Everything that was said there is relevent. I personally think for the price the NDX400s are great value and offer a heck of a lot of features. I would look elsewhere for a mixer though.

In terms of features the Numark CD players & mixer will offer almost nothing over the S4 (except the ability to play without having a computer involved), however I personally think controllers are a poor way of learning the craft from the beginning. Yes you will be able to jump straight in and put mixes together, but I think very few people who start on a controller will have the discipline to ignore the 'sync' feature, cover up the bpms & beatgridded waveforms, and actually learn the basics of beatmatching/phrase matching etc solely by ear.

If this isn't something you are fussed about then yes the S4 will do everything you need and then some- probably one of the best controllers out there. But for properly learning the basics I'd personally go for something that doesn't have the temptation of all the electronic/visual crutches that controllers/software offer. :)

underdogdj
06-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Appreciate the responses.

Read everything thoroughly so far and will take the information
into consideration :)

DJ Highline
06-08-2012, 10:50 AM
I will also have to agree with irrational_fear. The Numarks might be best for learning the basics like beat matching....

mostapha
06-08-2012, 12:06 PM
What advantages specifically does [the s4] have?It's an all-in-one that requires nothing else (apart from a computer, headphones, and speakers) and gives you access to more hot cues, loops, and effects, sync, and a lot of other tools.

Does the Numark setup have anything over the S4?It doesn't require a computer and will help you develop your ears. You can still do that with software and you can still fail at it on CDJs, but it's easier to learn how to listen with CDJs.

I personally think controllers are a poor way of learning the craft from the beginning. Yes you will be able to jump straight in and put mixes together, but I think very few people who start on a controller will have the discipline to ignore the 'sync' feature, cover up the bpms & beatgridded waveforms, and actually learn the basics of beatmatching/phrase matching etc solely by ear.

The reason to learn that way isn't even about doing the techniques. It's nice to be able to jump on whatever gear is available and play, but the real reason is that it teaches you to listen differently.

There would be a lot fewer crappy, jumbled messes of mixes around if people took the time to learn how to really listen to tracks. They typically scream at you how to avoid that mess.

About the mixer…at that price range, I'm not convinced there's much of a difference. If you can scrape out $200 for the mixer, the vmc-002xl is a better mixer (sounds a bit better and will last longer).