PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about equipment setup.

untitled
06-05-2012, 08:50 PM
I'm getting back into doing after 10 years. I'm having trouble understanding how these new age mixers work. Are amplifiers and equalizers still needed? Or can you hook up your speakers directly to your mixer? If theres a sticky on this, I apologize in advance.

ampnation
06-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Amps are still needed but powered speakers are becoming very popular which have the amp and some DSP processing like limiters built in meaning you don't need an external amp. The mixer usually has a 3 band EQ strip per channel and if you know how to use a graphic EQ to adjust for room anomalies, you can still insert one after the mixer.

Also a lot of today's "mixers" are actually controllers which means they simply are interfaces to your computer. This involves an audio interface which is usually built into the computer.

Depending on your level of knowledge, this should raise more questions than answers.LOL

untitled
06-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the answer. Your right about the raising more questions. lol. So even if i were to use studio monitors with my setup, i would still need an amp?

Andrew B
06-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Passive speakers require an amp. Active speakers can be plugged directly into a mixer. Same as it's always been.