PDA

View Full Version : What to play in a warm up set.

AD85
02-08-2012, 05:50 PM
I remember reading on Mista Jam's Twitter page a while back something to the sound of,

"If you're not the main DJ at an event, don't play the main tunes of the time".

So the question would be, if this statement is something for DJ's to go by, what do you play? Are you expected to keep the energy levels down to save everyone for the "main event", therefore resulting in maybe not being able to play your favourite tunes?

I've read a lot of things which say that you should never have "filler tracks" in your mix just for the sake of it, but it would seem Mista Jam was implying kind of the opposite if you're the warm up?

DJ Matt
02-08-2012, 05:58 PM
this depends on what genre you play , and if you know the headlining DJ and know what he is likely to play
its not easy to make a general statement about Djing without specifying the genre.

i play salsa nowdays and i normally pull out all the hits because there are so many songs considered "hits" in that genre that the other dj can still have loads to choose from.

back when i played techno/trance there was a mutual understanding that the first dj would go a bit softer than the one after him, but that is concerning the "energy curve "of the night, it doesnt mean playing crap tunes they can still be great tunes ! or "hits"

think of it this way, one good DJ will have a certain flow to his mix that changes throughout the night, and in this sense, two DJs should be able to function as one. and not be competing with one another at the expense of playing a "peek-of the-night" tune way to early

thats how i see it anyhow :P

AD85
02-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Ah yeah, suppose I should have mentioned the genre really! Specifically for me, Dubstep!

When I go hunting for new tunes, one of the first places I look to is the Beatport top 100, they're in the top 100 for a reason obviously; because people love them! But a big problem I see is that most of these are what you would class as "High energy" tracks.

They way I imagine it, if there is an event with a main DJ who plays the hard hitting, huge stuff... people will go because they will like that music. So I'm a bit confused of how the warm up could keep the crowds attention without playing similar stuff!

DJ Matt
02-08-2012, 06:24 PM
i see what you mean

well variety is the spice of life,

i used to go to a drum & bass club where the warm up dj played reggae , it was a great combo

another club i used to go to , the warm up guy played house and the main guy played what we used to call hard trance.

in my opinion the best combos are those in which there is a distinct sense of progression from one DJ to the next.

not sure what that implies for dubstep because i dont listen to it, so i would have to leave that to someone else

Andrew B
02-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Read this (http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1095)

AD85
02-08-2012, 06:47 PM

Really good read! Thanks for the link dude

DeadPhr0g
02-08-2012, 07:01 PM
I remember reading on Mista Jam's Twitter page a while back something to the sound of,

"If you're not the main DJ at an event, don't play the main tunes of the time".

So the question would be, if this statement is something for DJ's to go by, what do you play? Are you expected to keep the energy levels down to save everyone for the "main event", therefore resulting in maybe not being able to play your favourite tunes?

I've read a lot of things which say that you should never have "filler tracks" in your mix just for the sake of it, but it would seem Mista Jam was implying kind of the opposite if you're the warm up?Play the tracks you like, the tracks you think no one else has, the ones that make you dance. -Here is where your knowledge and actual appreciation of music is tested. Those tracks will create a vibe or atmosphere which the headliner can transfer his energy into ...and the usual overrated, over played tracks. Stay away from the tracks everyone knows.

djdavidvaux
02-09-2012, 01:37 PM
I've opened up for some artists and big time DJs, and all you gotta do is make sure you clearly dont play the newest hottest shit.

Play older hits. Or current hits that arent A-List, and of course no remixes or tracks by the headliner. thats important. very important.

But you know, just go through your library, find tracks you dig, and as long as they arent charting right now... you should be good. they cant get mad at you for anything else... and if they do, usually they'll pull u aside real quick to tell you to tone it down.

Jason Cerna
02-09-2012, 01:47 PM
best rule of thumb from personal experience is never play bangers.

de.j.l
02-09-2012, 01:51 PM
I usually just warm up with some funky house / tech house and minimal, stuff that is not "go go go" type energy but just grooves along.

AndrewEddyEdwards
02-10-2012, 12:13 PM

Brilliant article & it is dead on the money. I have done warm-up sets in my time & it is indeed a chance for you to delve into slightly different tracks. Something maybe a bit more mellow (especially when the club first opens) and different to what either the headliner will play, or different to the "big hits".
Dubstep is not my cup of tea, so I do not have a lot of knowledge in that genre so I couldn't advise you specifically on the kind of stuff to play. All I will say is if you are a top 100 beatport shopper, then maybe up the vibe in the room before the headliner comes on & maybe play some tracks from the top 100 from 4-5 months ago so people are still aware of the tracks but they are not "the bomb" right now..?

Lazerick
02-10-2012, 01:23 PM
I love being the warm up DJ - It is my fav position, reason - I like to dig, I will play a track that is 15-25 years old and most crowds will not know the track and think it is a banger, plus I play purely on instinct, I feel the room and let it rip, at times thought i have been told that i was hard to follow, not because I banged it out but with the latest hits but because it was just a great set. I am an eclectic DJ, I like a lot of music and I am not stuck on Genres, there is something in almost every genre I like and will play.

dlove
02-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Ah yeah, suppose I should have mentioned the genre really! Specifically for me, Dubstep!

When I go hunting for new tunes, one of the first places I look to is the Beatport top 100, they're in the top 100 for a reason obviously; because people love them! But a big problem I see is that most of these are what you would class as "High energy" tracks.

They way I imagine it, if there is an event with a main DJ who plays the hard hitting, huge stuff... people will go because they will like that music. So I'm a bit confused of how the warm up could keep the crowds attention without playing similar stuff!

hi :)

"hard hitting huge stuff" isn't necessarily the top bangers - go back & pull out past hits; and play to the atmosphere - if people want to dance, don't keep it murky just because it's early, you can always bring it down again after giving them something to loosen up to. As previously said, delve into related & complimentary genres, too - some heavy reggae, a dash of grime, some early 90's jungle, whatever you feel the crowd would appreciate. Oh, and never play what you think the main act might play - for a good warm up, that's a given.

Have fun, and remember, don't mash everyone's insides up before time; leave some room on the levels for the main act. :tup:

djkvg
02-10-2012, 01:45 PM
I've been opening for Djs at the clubs for a good 4 months now. i really love the open slot cuz it tests how well you know your music and what tracks you play. i see it as if you get people to nod their heads and tap their feet in the beginning you're doing a pretty good job.

I would go with older tunes that were popular and work your way up in the time line. i realize when i get a pretty good dance floor for the next DJ i did a good job. so usually by the end of my set like the last 30 mins, the dance floor is packed.

dlove
02-10-2012, 01:48 PM
yeah, by the time you hand over the decks, you want everyone forward on the dancefloor :tup:

Jason Cerna
02-11-2012, 04:20 PM
openers have the hardest, but most fulfilling job. you're basically working to pack the dancefloor for everyone following you. playing peak hour till close is easy, you can get away with whatever you want - not so with opening. it is definitely a skill that is learned out in the world because it is based on feel and your skill in reading the crowd.

mostapha
02-12-2012, 03:00 AM
OP, how would you start a party?

IDK what you're into, but…in any style there's a huge difference between a filler track and an awesome banger. And one style's filler might be another track's banger. Hell, my "favorite track" is an example. Sweat on the Walls by John Tejada. I've used that as a peak track before. If you spin dubstep, you probably think I'm crazy.

But even if you play really intense music at home with your iPod, you wouldn't just play some huge track to start off the night. That's what leads to awkwardness, not getting laid, and people who go home at 10:30 because they're tired. You lead into it with something related but closer to the energy level of "not listening to music."

So, if you're spinning for the whole night, you have to think about where you want to go, where you are, and how to get there.

If you're opening for someone else, you have to think about where they want to go, where you are, and how to get close enough that they can easily get there without going the whole way and without blowing early and stopping the crowd from enjoying the ride they paid for.

BTW, on a related note…I have ruined so many club nights by listening to the wrong music in the car on the way there…it's not even funny anymore. At this point, either I walk to clubs or I listen to something completely different in the car…like blues or folky rock (Eric Clapton and Mumford & Sons have intro'd more awesome club nights in the car on the way there than any EDM producer).

Schreiber
02-13-2012, 04:17 PM
As far as opening with dubstep tracks, here are a few I'd look into. This is the kind of stuff I usually use. A lot of space & ambience to it, but definitely still dubstep.

-What's Going On (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrNcs5c1S0w)
-Show Me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtsLKcngZZQ)
-Where'd You Go (http://www.youtube.com/watch?src_vid=7VdAvIf1Nc4&annotation_id=annotation_552759&feature=iv&v=qDG75AFwzGs)