PDA

View Full Version : Black Label Cases (Durability)

matty1551
06-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Does anyone own a black label case?

They look awesome but my concern is its durability. Seems like it would get scratched up super easily and also show the scratches & dings a lot more than the standard flight case would.

Chime in if you have owned or seen one in person.

Badger
06-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Are you talking about the Black Label series from Odyssey?

If so, then yes - I have a pair of Black Label turntable cases which I bought last year, since I didn't want to have to haul around an entire coffin anymore. I don't gig often, and I only haul them in my car, but I wanted something that would work well at protecting them and would look good at the same time.

The good news is that they seem really well made AND they are good-looking overall.

The bad news is that some of the black paint has already started to flake off of the metal trim... and I have used them for a whopping total of TWO gigs.

So, I'm not sure if I'll need to repaint them at some point in the future or not. Overall, I'm glad I made the investment, but I haven't had any experience with turntable cases made by other manufacturers.

Good luck to you,

:badger:

matty1551
06-05-2012, 07:05 PM
I do mean the ones from odyssey Badger. Thanks for your input. Any chance you could take pictures? All ive ever seen are the stock photos from odyssey.

Badger
06-05-2012, 07:32 PM
I'm at my "day job" this evening, but I'll try to do so tomorrow. I currently have the cases open with my 1200s in the garage. If I remember, I'll be happy to snap some pics and share them here.

:badger:

ampnation
06-05-2012, 08:00 PM
hmmm, I would have assumed they would use anodized or powder coat to achieve the black on metal parts. Flaking paint doesn't sound like a well thought out quality product. The only Odyssey case I have is not a black label, and looks a little rough, but it was that way when I bought it 2nd hand. It is built very sturdily however.

matty1551
06-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Looking forward to pics Badger

djpenguin
06-06-2012, 05:04 PM
I have a similar product from Marathon for my mixer, and I've used it for a few dozen gigs.

The black coating is chipping off the ball corners where it hits the ground, and the edges of the longer corner struts too. It's actually not very hard at all to chip off the coating.

matty1551
06-06-2012, 05:15 PM
The black coating is chipping off the ball corners where it hits the ground, and the edges of the longer corner struts too. It's actually not very hard at all to chip off the coating.

Let me ask you this. What do the chips look like? I could handle it if it was a a dark color underneath the black coating but it would annoy me to no end if it was bright shiny silver underneath like the standard balls on coffins. Does that make sense?

ampnation
06-06-2012, 05:21 PM
According to Odyssey's website the Black Label series has anodized AND powder coated hardware. If so, they must have some QC issue with these because powder coat is much more durable than paint. Even a nice baked enamel should hold up better than that, let alone powder coat. That's what I'm thinking anyway.

trauma11
06-12-2012, 11:42 AM
I have the big amp rack from odyssey in Black Label. I hate how cheesy the aluminum trim looks on the black plastic coating on road cases in general, so even though I own a ton of those I go with the Black Label when I can. As badger said, the black painted metal parts are not very durable in terms of its paint coating. There is also a price increase on the whole black label series.

trauma11
06-12-2012, 11:43 AM
I think some of it is powder coated, but I also think some of it is not. Retractable handles are powder coated, metal corners are not...I think, just seems that way from experience.

logisticalstyles
06-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Two of the corners on mine are scraped up already. I have the case for my NS7 and it doesn't look too bad. I know I'll have to touch up the paint sooner or later.