PDA

View Full Version : how do you organize your music

brian102
06-04-2012, 04:51 PM
so i joined djcity and have been downloading all the tunes, how do you guys or what do you do to organize? ive been just creating folders with the artist name, and putting the songs in there? is there a faster way or easier?

Andrew B
06-04-2012, 04:54 PM
My music is automatically organized by iTunes using Smart Playlists.

Quentin Legend
06-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Mediamonkey.

brian102
06-04-2012, 05:00 PM
can you be specific like you just load the tunes in and it goes or what?

YungVendrixDNB
06-04-2012, 05:02 PM
I just have crates of records half assed organized by genre.

Andrew B
06-04-2012, 05:02 PM
can you be specific like you just load the tunes in and it goes or what?

I set up Smart Playlists within the software. As soon as I click on a new track, it's automatically sorted.

I just have crates of records half assed organized by genre.

Yeah, that's how my records are "organized." Roughly by genre. :lol:

BlueLabel
06-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Organized by genre them artist then album. Or genre and sub genere for my club stuff. Like Club>techno,hip hop, etc

DJ Matt
06-07-2012, 12:44 PM
i organize by genre, sub genre if the folder is very big,

and also i recommend organizing your music according to how you want to balance your DJ set

ie. if you want to include classics, and some new songs, then you need a folder for each for ease of access.

mostapha
06-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Smart playlists in iTunes (bpm, genre field in id3, and other genre tags in comments) that turn into a manual "current" playlist which has the stuff I'm into at the moment, usually prepared manually for each gig/set.

Basically…it's the same way I used to organize records except that I lose records less often and the shelves actually mean something.

Kyle Herring
07-22-2012, 05:27 AM
Bumping this thread because I know how to use the Search function

I'm about to start dropping a lot of cash on music. I'm getting folders set up based on genre, then based on key. I might get really crazy and have folders of good transition tracks (if going from Prog House to Electro, play one of [x,y,z] tracks).

TheRabbitMonk
07-22-2012, 06:34 AM
this is my biggest problem. i have just bought serato, it is becomin a big issue and it's something i need to look into more.

lately i had them in genre but then your left with going through those folders trying to find stuff from one artist then a specific song.. maybe i need to use one night per week or something, just sort them and then keep on top of it.

JackStalk
07-22-2012, 12:11 PM
I have a weird way of organizing my library, mainly using CDs. My four main folders are: Electronica, Music(master), Music Singles, and Promo Only. All the electronic stuff gets dropped in one, my entire collection of albums goes in master, all of my singly downloaded non-electronic tracks in singles, and Promo Only for my monthly mainstream CDs I get.

For CDs, I have my mainstream stuff sorted A-Z with each CD representing a different artist letter. There's probably close to 100 of these, but I have found it easiest to find stuff when sifting through requests. I've basically memorized where everything goes and can play just off of that section of my wallet. The other half of my wallet consists of house/trance/dubstep CDs. There are 12 keys in the camelot wheel, so each CD I burn has 12 tracks on it (one in each of the keys). This way, I can glance at the CDJ and I'll always know what key I'm in based on the track number. It also makes it easier to jump keys because I can see all different tracks on one page, as opposed to a whole page of "8A" cds.

coppercitymt
07-29-2012, 09:54 AM
I do everything by Artist\Album Title\Track 1-20 or something like this "Music\Three 6 Mafia\Da Unbreakables\Three 6 Mafia - Ghetto Chick.mp3". Then on stuff like Billboard Year End Charts, VA Promo I will make Folders by years "\Music\~Billboard Top 100 Hits~\Billboard Top 30 Hits of 1948\1948-001 Pee Wee Hunt - Twelfth Street Rag.mp3"

95% of the time I do/will not let any program mess with my collection, I do it all manually though Windows Exploder. I know my music and know were it's at (all 25,000 songs), I am just now starting to learn to let Virtual DJ handle something, but still mostly done manually. A program called "Tag and Rename" keeps the the tags lined up with the file name or file names to fix the tags!

DJ Riddims
07-29-2012, 10:23 AM
I create a folder for the genre and organize the tracks by their release dates. Newest tracks are on top and oldest ones are at the bottom.

Dix
07-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Since I play mostly weddings & receptions, and because I am always asked to play a wide variety, decades & genre's at these events, I have all my music in one main "General Music" folder, then by artist/group name. So, when I load my "General Music" folder all the songs are listed alphabetically by artist then by song title in my software data base.

Now, for specialty music like Christmas, Halloween, TV/radio themes/tunes, etc I have a different folder for each of those.

JamesRoss
07-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Well, I used to have everything in alphabetical order but then I stopped doing that and now all my records are just randomly orginized in crates and a record bag. I have the tracks that I play often in the record bag and everything else is in crates and boxes.

pepps60x
09-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Every month I go through pretty much all of my music, and make a playlist folder for that month of what I think sounds good and/or up to date (nobody likes an overplayed song thats a few years old *cough* levels *cough*). Usually the playlist will consist of 100+ songs of my liking. Instead of rapidly searching through your main playlist saying 'no... no... no... no...' and eventually you find your song after searching through like 100 songs. Hope this helps :)

Conrad Launerts
09-19-2012, 12:41 PM
i just make different crates like "big room bangers, chill/laidback, hype, rachet shit, boom bap hip hop, old school, 80s, etc... its easiest for me like that

Djsmylez
09-19-2012, 02:06 PM
I have everything broken up by time period, then by genre, then by situation. Since I'm mainly a wedding DJ with house parties here and there, I'm always prepared cause I have situational crates.

If the folder gets too big, I do another subcategory.

It's a bit tedious when organizing music, but it's worth it when looking up stuff during a live gig.

djromanj
09-19-2012, 06:20 PM
I had my music into one big folder and I had small crates in serato for different sets. Since I started downloading a lot of music, I need to get more organize.
Here is how I organize my music I create a crate for Hiphop under that crate I have sub categories, Crunk, Classic, Gangster, Modern, Party, and favorites

Samething with Pop my sub categories 90s, 80s, 00s, Top 40,

Best way to organize your music to have a system thats helps you get to your tracks fast...

DJ Matt
09-20-2012, 07:42 AM
i orgaize mine in two sections both organized by genre

1.music archive with full albums etc.

2. folder with single tracks copied into it, which i have chosen specifically to use for DJing (nothing that im not going to use goes in there)

the folders get seperated as to how i want to play the music
for example, i like to play new tracks and classics in equal measure. so i need to keep each in a seperate folder and keep jumping over and back between em.

thats what works best for me......

DJ BONES
09-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Dont try and copy how other Djs organize, do whats easy for you... I personally separate in many different ways but primarily I organize for the type of event Im doing...

JackStalk
09-24-2012, 01:18 AM
^This is true, I tried copying a few different DJ's and now I have a superhybrid that works for me.

DJhalf
10-02-2012, 08:18 PM
I do it like I did with BPMs, Genres and date of release. I'm not good at jumping on a PC and searching what I'm looking for. I like to recall music from my head. I use emotions to bring in what I want next. That is why I would need these organized this way so that I know exactly where to go and what to feed from.