PDA

View Full Version : Trussing vs Multiple T-stands

DJ Higgumz
06-03-2012, 10:00 PM
I've been pondering the pros and cons of each and was wondering on your thoughts?

Trussing looks more massive but takes alot of pack space and 2 people to raise up. Crank stands are a must.

T stands take more time to set up but you can create a great show with multiple heights for each light (9-20' range). Very effective, diplo used them at a rave and looked sweet. Solo setup possibility but can also look cluttered if not executed correctly.

Both should cost the same, t stands would cost less if they aren't crank up.

Synaxis
06-03-2012, 10:24 PM
T stands take more time to set up

I disagree. T-bars are insanely easy to set up compared to a full truss.

If your going solo, T-bars.

If you have help, truss.

Elegant event, T-bars, unless your using global truss with scrims which IMO look nicer.

Club/Party type event, truss.

DJ Higgumz
06-03-2012, 10:34 PM
I meant if you have like 6+ stands compared to cranking up a truss.

What I may end up doing is have my 10 ft truss for a facade, then have 2 stands on each side high in the air with moving heads on the t bar, and up the stand have some 4 foot uv's. I would also have washes working double as strobes on the widest stands, it is a great effect when the strobes are in the peripheral vision.

Synaxis
06-03-2012, 10:54 PM
I meant if you have like 6+ stands compared to cranking up a truss.

What I may end up doing is have my 10 ft truss for a facade, then have 2 stands on each side high in the air with moving heads on the t bar, and up the stand have some 4 foot uv's. I would also have washes working double as strobes on the widest stands, it is a great effect when the strobes are in the peripheral vision.

How long of a truss are we talking about?

Using a truss as a facade? How is that going to work? I think you mean backdrop or a drape.

A facade goes in front of your set up.

DJ Higgumz
06-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Facade in meaning attention getter. Not as the term as in dragonboards. I'm comparing t stand to 20 ft or so of truss.

Dave Daschofsky
06-04-2012, 08:59 AM
I don't think facade means what you think it means.

Mystic
06-04-2012, 11:56 AM
10' Truss is very easy to setup yourself if you have the room to do it, but you will need a ladder to get the fixtures on.

SummitAudioDJ
06-04-2012, 01:08 PM
10' Truss is very easy to setup yourself if you have the room to do it, but you will need a ladder to get the fixtures on.

I don't need a ladder with my crank truss?

I have both but use the 10 foot truss most often. Rarely do I use both.

I bought this set but had to put another $40 into to buy knobs for all the removable joints since it only came with allen key bolts. Still a great affordable sturdy truss system.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/odyssey-lighting-tripod-and-truss-package

DJ Higgumz
06-04-2012, 03:20 PM
I don't think facade means what you think it means.

Facade- The front of a building that looks onto a street or open space

This was the meaning I was going for but whatever.

DJ Higgumz
06-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Currently I put up my truss with the light lights, then I put my sub underneath and stand on that to put my 30lb 812s on. I tried a ladder and i didnt feel enough stability, plus you need a place to hide it.

Mystic
06-04-2012, 09:21 PM
I don't need a ladder with my crank truss?
Talking about box truss without cranks as that seems to be what people like these days. It's a very clean and stylish look.

DJ Higgumz
06-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Ah I see. I always thought it would be a good idea to design rollers that attach to your horizontal truss that slides along the vertical truss. then have a winch on the top pulling up the light show, and having some sort of safety pin that would pop out to prevent it falling. I'm thinking capacities of like 2000lbs each, This would be designed for pro touring, making it easier to lift with fewer people. One person could lift a colossal rig in the air with the press of a couple buttons. Very off topic.

DJ M&M
06-04-2012, 11:48 PM
there called chain falls

Mystic
06-05-2012, 02:12 AM
Ah I see. I always thought it would be a good idea to design rollers that attach to your horizontal truss that slides along the vertical truss. then have a winch on the top pulling up the light show, and having some sort of safety pin that would pop out to prevent it falling. I'm thinking capacities of like 2000lbs each, This would be designed for pro touring, making it easier to lift with fewer people. One person could lift a colossal rig in the air with the press of a couple buttons. Very off topic.

How exactly do you think we typically get 20,000 pounds in the air on outdoor structures? With a tall ladders and pipes? lol

b__M1Hsu_9k
A little bare in this one but you get the point

andythemusician
06-05-2012, 03:12 AM

Good design, and as Mystic pointed out, has been in use for quite some time! :)

However, there is a reason it is only used for big outdoor stages. It requires a lot of equipment, expertise and time to assemble. Chain motors for starters aren't cheap to buy and maintain!

Another idea, building off the box truss with/without cranks thing... an easier way to put up this system without having to worry about chain motors is to use winch ups, (or crank stands, whatever you want to call them) but only use them to get it in the air. Build your two vertical truss uprights, then build your horizontal run, attach fixtures and cable everything up, and fly this out on a pair of winch ups. You only need to climb ladders twice to bolt the horizontal to each of the truss uprights, and hey presto - your lighting rig is up on a complete truss structure without having to spend heaps of time up and down ladders.

DJ Higgumz
06-05-2012, 06:13 AM
I thought they did it with oversized crank stands :)

Mystic
06-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Some smaller shows use crank genies, but any show with more than a up and down stage truss uses motors

BillESC
06-05-2012, 02:42 PM
This was my free standing lighting rig in the late 70's and early 80's. It carried 120 Par64's and a dozen Altman 360Q's. From the time the truck doors opened we were ready to focus in two hours.

http://i45.tinypic.com/311xs3l.jpg