PDA

View Full Version : The Official: What DVS/DJ Software Do You Prefer and Why?

JohnnyGraz
02-08-2012, 01:11 PM
The title says it all, what DVS do you use and why?

I happen to prefer Serato ITCH. I started out DJing on Traktor, but I just happen to like the overall look and feel of ITCH much more. Paired with my DJM-2000, i have EVERY feature i'd ever need in the palm of my hand.

Here is a picture of my ITCH set-up.
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/420018_373776935981804_100000485025475_1467197_748 385364_n.jpg

**Perhaps this could be stickied?? :tup: **

[O/][iii][O/]
02-08-2012, 01:19 PM
FYI: ITCH technically isn't a DVS.

Chay
02-08-2012, 01:25 PM
[iii][O/];9228']FYI: ITCH technically isn't a DVS.

http://leafprobably.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/wonder.jpg

:lol:

I prefer to use Traktor, lots of extra features and tons of customization :)

[O/][iii][O/]
02-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Well, it isn't.

DVS = Digital Vinyl System.

ITCH does not currently function with vinyl, only Scratch Live does (from Serato that is of course, and SSL is a DVS).

PS: I personally use TSP2, SSL and ITCH and do currently prefer Serato's product over NI's.

Chay
02-08-2012, 01:35 PM
[iii][O/];9266']Well, it isn't.

DVS = Digital Vinyl System.

ITCH does not currently function with vinyl, only Scratch Live does (from Serato that is of course).

I know, just kiddin' :)

g-sep
02-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Oh you guys :lol:

I use Traktor Scratch Pro 2. No reason why on preference, havnt used any others. It just seemed like the best option for me and what I wanted to do, so I just went with it.

JohnnyGraz
02-08-2012, 01:50 PM
I knew that you guys would have a hissy fit at that. Tried to sneak by a quick one haha. Edited! You are correct that ITCH isn't technically a DVS because it is used solely with Controllers which do NOT utilize Vinyl.

[O/][iii][O/]
02-08-2012, 01:53 PM
To answer the OP's question though...

what DVS do you use and why?

For DVS, I use both TSP2 and SSL (Audio 10 and SL4 to be exact) and they're both fantastic and you can't go wrong with either, but SSL trumps TSP2 for my needs and preferences.

Here's the main reasons why:

• Dual USB
• Enhanced browsable cover art (multiple viewing options)
• Stackable waveforms (multiple viewing options)
• Larger waveforms (multiple viewing options)
• Slicker file management
• Rock solid since day one
• Free updates
• Better customer support (much better actually)
• Just overall feels better (everything I need and nothing I don't like TSP2. simple. elegant. powerful)

These same points apply to ITCH as well, which isn't a DVS, but shares the same library and profile saves as SSL so it's totally seamless bouncing back and forth between the two depending on what's being used to control everything.

Liam
02-08-2012, 03:08 PM
I use TSP1 and TSP2 (Audio 8 to be exact). I love Traktor and how it works, but i think it is too complicated for what i want it for. I want a simple basic DVS system. So i have been considering and have tried SSL many times and want to buy it.

Reasons being, it's a lot more simple looking, i just want a stable DVS system for playing my timecoded vinyl back and i want it to feel like i have zero laptop attached.

I did buy Torq, i tried to set it up, it didn't work the 5 times i tried it so i put it away now it's collecting dust :)

NickJames
02-08-2012, 03:22 PM
I use Serato Scratch Live (SL3) because I wanted a DVS that would replace my record crate/CD binder with a laptop and not much else... Serato fits the bill perfectly; Traktor has too much going on for me.

djdran
02-08-2012, 03:32 PM
i personally like SSL//ITCH, but only based on the fact that i started with ITCH when i first started DJing.. i did TSP1 for a few months.. it was pretty good, but i eventually switched over to SSL just because i felt more comfortable with it (i personally like the layout better).. either system is good tho =), its mostly about preferences.

Andrew B
02-08-2012, 03:44 PM
I don't like using software, but if I had to, I prefer SSL.

Interracial Tea
02-08-2012, 04:23 PM
I use SSL, but I'd really like to try out TS. Their marketing is really starting to get to me.

peterwo2e
02-08-2012, 04:30 PM
been using itch since it came out i know there are better software and controllers but i understand itch very well. a video plug in is in the works for itch coming soon i can't wait.

Jason Cerna
02-08-2012, 05:15 PM
used scratch live for 5 years before moving onto traktor. i can't see myself moving back. i prefer the layout and the midi customization.

Scott Michael
02-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Traktor Pro 2 hands down for my style of EDM. With the 2.5 release it should bring a whole new level of diversity to an already excellent platform.

DJNR
02-08-2012, 08:32 PM
I don't like using software, but if I had to, I prefer SSL.
http://i43.tinypic.com/2cxi781.jpg

I'm sorry, it had to be done :lol:

But in all seriousness, I prefer Traktor Scratch Pro (or Traktor 2 as they call it) because I enjoy the layout much more than Serato. I have nothing against Serato really, but I have spent so much time on Traktor that I know it so much better. I actually switched from Serato to Traktor in the good ol' days.

Rick_N
02-08-2012, 10:52 PM
My first DVS was Serato, mainly because its what my friends had and they would let me barrow their sl1 for months at a time. Then when I found myself without a DVS and was itching to get one, NI's marketing and djtechtools talked me into TSP2. Well I wish they hadn't because I miss the simplicity and ease of use. I'm not one to care for 50 million effects and midi customization because thats just not me. Wish I would of found that out sooner, Its just no one around here has traktor so I wasnt able to give it a go before hand.

So now I'm finding myself eying the new Rane 61/62 mixers ever since I went to NAMM, and if not one of those mixers it'll be a 56s with a SL2 or SL3 box.

l0ckd0wn
02-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Traktor Pro 2 hands down for my style of EDM. With the 2.5 release it should bring a whole new level of diversity to an already excellent platform.

:stupid:

Traktor 2 user.

By far the most comprehensive solution for DJing on the market.

Nicadraus
02-09-2012, 12:22 AM
TSP user here too. :)

Boomcie
02-09-2012, 12:27 AM
I rarely use it but Torq does what I want it to, play mp3s. You could do some cool things with it, but I'm a simple man...not really a fan of efx and looping and that stuff

deejayjsin
02-09-2012, 03:20 AM
I got Traktor because everyone kept telling me about SSL, and I was like "Man, f@ck Serato!" lol jk. Been using Traktor since day 1, I like the layout and all the FX. Waiting on 2.5.

evil-c
02-09-2012, 03:57 AM
used traktor since 2009 but as of last september, i've had big problems with updates messing things up for me, gutted as i also own the s4 and the x1 so had to stay on tsp2 v2.0.3 . about this time i realised how involved in the software i get when i'm djing (using fx, loops etc) and how much i find myself lookin at the screen and not whats actually happening around me. so i took the plunge and got sl3 . LOVE IT ! i find ssl so much more fun to dj with and a hell of a lot more stable ! i also rely more on ACTUAL djing rather than overkilling with all the options traktor gives you.

SplishDJ
02-09-2012, 04:08 AM
I'm broke, so use Torq. It does the job and I can't say I've had any issues with it really. The interface is clean and not too cluttered and the latency is pretty much spot on. Looking at designing and building my own controller in the next few months, so will look at moving to Traktor Scratch Pro once I'm finished.

MeowMix
02-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Virtual DJ since 6.0

Its very flexible and customizable, it does everything i want and all updates are free.

I also have Traktor but dont really use it.

Muggz
02-09-2012, 10:58 AM
I use SSL because its the club standard here. I do though like messing around with all the TSP2 possibilities.

Mrspyaman
02-09-2012, 01:48 PM
I use ms pinky and deccadance but I just play the music and have external pieces for the efx.

mrkleen
02-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Traktor w/ 2 X1 Controllers. Love using samples and loops. Could never go back to CDs or Vinyl

Andrew B
02-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Traktor w/ 2 X1 Controllers. Love using samples and loops. Could never go back to CDs or Vinyl

Whoa! This is the first post I've seen that makes me think I'm missing out.

Sigma
02-09-2012, 02:19 PM
I only have a decent amount of experience with Torq and Serato, so I can only compare those two. That said, it's been a long time since I used Torq so perhaps the performance has been improved via software updates since then.

The main thing I didn't like about Torq is that it didn't give me the feeling that I was using vinyl. It suffered with sticker drift, so I would have to make adjustments for that and obviously that never happens with real vinyl cos the music is actually "in" the groove. Also, when doing certain scratches it would sound more "digital" and unrealistic than I'd have liked. Serato will struggle if you do a really slow drag, but that's because the record reaches a point where it's moving so slowly that the software has trouble translating what you're doing into a sound that mimics how real vinyl would sound, but overall, my experience with Serato has been much closer to using real vinyl in terms of feel and sound (particularly when scratching) and that's why I prefer it.

What I wanted from a DVS is a way to play digital audio files and cut up any samples I like as if I owned them on vinyl and Serato is 95% of the way there with that and sometimes I even forget that I'm not using real vinyl.

The big downside for Serato for me personally is lack of FLAC support, because all of my CDs and vinyl is ripped to FLAC files on my PC and Serato doesn't support it. If they can add that, it'll suit my needs perfectly. It seems that they have got FLAC to work in a test build, so hopefully it'll arrive in a future update: -

http://serato.com/forum/discussion/579369

Read the posts from "Glenn M" there. I know that's not guaranteeing FLAC support in any future build, or ever for that matter, but it at leasts sounds hopeful.

mrkleen
02-09-2012, 02:23 PM

It is really fun man. Totally reinvigorated my sets and got me back into it full throttle again.

JonnyFlash
02-10-2012, 12:14 PM
I use Mixvibes. It is simple and easy to use. I primarily started using it as the demo for my Mac was free. I just got used to it then started researching controllers and saw how simple the U Mix Control Pro is and I was sold. Plus for the price the controller software combo offers a lot including 2 line in's and the ability to use effects with the line in's. I do also like DJay and am thinking about mapping it to my U Mix to utilize the cue points as sample decks. But for now it is Mixvibes all the way. And yes I usually go for the underdogs and small companies.

mostapha
02-10-2012, 03:40 PM
I prefer SSL because of the layout/GUI. It's not butt ugly and gets the F out of my way.

Stevil
02-10-2012, 03:46 PM
I've been using Torq for a while now. Not a spiffy or pretty as the competition but it's very stable and I've never had an issue with it on my desktop (XP machine). My laptop, which is W7, had a couple of weird problems at first, but I believe I've hammered out all the driver issues. Works great now

Ocie
02-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Had an audio 2 with traktor when I first got my hands on a mixer. After I got my 1200s, I taught myself with vinyl until i could afford an SL3. I can't see myself moving back to traktor (even though I never used it with my 1200s). the only thing I ever loop are well, actual loops I've made. The only fx i use are a low pass and high pass filter.

SSL is simple and it works for me.

l0ckd0wn
02-10-2012, 04:53 PM

Hearing this from MRKLEEN and then resaid by Andrew B just reaffirms my own opinion, but then, I use tons and tons of loops when I mix too.

KLH
02-11-2012, 11:19 AM
I use Traktor Pro with the S4. I've not felt the need to get the scratch upgrade. Rocking four decks or 2 decks with 2 sampler playback decks keeps me busy.

I can't lie though - I mostly use two decks.

-KLH

moyo wilde
02-11-2012, 10:57 PM
use torq. used to take it out occasionally but i found that for some reason the last two times i had it at clubs it completely failed on me, couldn't get it to start and play stereo or both channels to play properly. so it is just for the bedroom. oddly it doesn't fail at home, even the day after it did at clubs.

i agree loops and all are cool, but if you choose good songs and create interesting blends/mixes that is more than enough.

DutchApples
02-12-2012, 02:20 AM
I started on Traktor, but moved to Serato a few years ago. I like both of them but Serato for me is much more "simple" and is in basically every club I go to which makes setting up easy.

pete
02-12-2012, 03:02 AM
Torq 2.0.
2 timecode vinyl decks and 2 digital controlled by my Nuo4 / Android phone.
Using Asio 4all for all to link up a few soundcards to give me the output to the mixer.
I also have 2 other decks linked purely for vinyl.
So that's 6 tracks with FX on 4.
All for a bargain price, and stable bar user error.

mostapha
02-12-2012, 03:15 AM
It is really fun man. Totally reinvigorated my sets and got me back into it full throttle again.

I did that for like a year. If I were spinning only with a computer, that's the way I'd do it, hands down, no questions asked, probably not even considering other options. I loved it while performing. After a year, I finally got to the point where I wasn't willing to deal with beat grids anymore. And either I somehow suck at being lazy or Traktor hates me, but I haven't had it set an auto grid correctly…not even once.

I went back to technics + SSL because I think it's easier. I realized something was wrong when I was seriously comparing different paid services to set beat grids for me.

If Traktor's auto-gridding ever gets as good as people who've never used it think it is…I'll buy a pair of X1s so I can do that type of mixing too.

mrkleen
02-13-2012, 08:58 AM
I did that for like a year. If I were spinning only with a computer, that's the way I'd do it, hands down, no questions asked, probably not even considering other options. I loved it while performing. After a year, I finally got to the point where I wasn't willing to deal with beat grids anymore. And either I somehow suck at being lazy or Traktor hates me, but I haven't had it set an auto grid correctly…not even once.

I went back to technics + SSL because I think it's easier. I realized something was wrong when I was seriously comparing different paid services to set beat grids for me.

If Traktor's auto-gridding ever gets as good as people who've never used it think it is…I'll buy a pair of X1s so I can do that type of mixing too.

SSL is certainly "easier" - but to me, if I wanted to spin two records I would have stuck with CDJs or vinyl.

Traktor is taking my sets to an entirely different level. So yes, it is a lot of work....but when you are playing live and rocking the crowd with 3 tracks - 4 loops and efx all perfectly in sync - it is totally worth the homework.

fullenglishpint
02-13-2012, 09:34 AM
I was on Traktor for about 3 years and used a lot of controllers, but last year I decided I wanted to go back to basics (to a certain extent) and picked up a pair of CDJ-850s and a SL-2. Right now I'm more than happy with SSL and I also have a novation twitch with ITCH for all my controller need.

I prefer SSL's simple layout, far superior file management and advanced HID support with my CDJS. I have nothing against Traktor, but right now I prefer the SSL style of DJing and all I sometimes wish for is one more deck. Could always get an SL-3 or 4...

Lost Connection
02-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Denon DN-X1600 running TSP2. Lovin' it.

Bassline Brine
02-13-2012, 10:32 AM
I prefer SSL. I like the layout/GUI, I like the waveforms, I like the iTunes integration, and I don't use a lot of FX so that's not a big issue for me. It allows me to mix Mp3's simply and effectively, and that's exactly what I wanted.

With Traktor (which I did debate highly about buying) I just don't like setting beatgrids, and think it takes a lot of the "natural" feel out of it for me. Also, I don't care a wick about MIDI mapping, and I prefer using turntables over a controller, so that's another aspect. I would never utilize most of the features in Traktor. One of my good friends uses TP and loves it, and uses the SCS3 system with it. I actually helped another friend get an SCS3 system (great deal) and I still think for certain styles of mixing, Traktor takes the cake. Personally though, I also think it looks ugly. Better with 2.0+, but still not sleek.

With Torq, it's just not stable from what I've had experience with. The same friend who has TP now, switched from Torq (and did give 2.0 a whirl). Maybe it's his computer, but it kept resetting the settings, and that was a pain in the ass. It seems like a fully packed program, but I wouldn't want to trust it. I also think it looks fugly, but that's personal preference.

Overall after considering everything, I went with an SL1 box and I couldn't be happier (unless I had an SL3 or SL4... but that's $$$).

Chay
02-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Denon DN-X1600 running TSP2. Lovin' it.

Not to mention using one USB cable to connect the mixer to the computer/laptop, and without the use of a external sound card :bing:

mrkleen
02-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Just personal preference I suppose - but I dont see how

This:
http://img.sera.to/sharedimages/5/13205/13205_product_page_popup.png

Is more sleek than this:

http://www.sentonore.ru/userfiles/images/TRAKTOR_SCRATCH_PRO2.jpg

silentsounds
02-13-2012, 10:50 AM

Traktor with one X1 for me.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

djkyle
02-13-2012, 10:55 AM
I use traktor pro 2.

Bassline Brine
02-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Just personal preference I suppose - but I dont see how

This:
(SERATO IMAGE)[/IMG]

Is more sleek than this:

(TRAKTOR IMAGE)

There's too much going on in Traktor, basically. I want my songs, the cue points, waveforms, and mostly a large access to my track browsing window. All the other stuff isn't needed. And while I realize you can edit what is showing in Traktor. I also like how when you play a Track in Serato, the text changes color (much easier to see than a checkbox). Also, the dark vs light contrast that is easier to read.

But as you said, it's personal preference.

Ellissentials
02-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Traktor is taking my sets to an entirely different level. So yes, it is a lot of work....but when you are playing live and rocking the crowd with 3 tracks - 4 loops and efx all perfectly in sync - it is totally worth the homework.

Absolutely my experience in the last 2 years :tup: I will never stop my digital direction now, but will always have appreciation for the physical ways.....it's just truly something I can't see myself going back to now.

mrkleen
02-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Absolutely my experience in the last 2 years :tup: I will never stop my digital direction now, but will always have appreciation for the physical ways.....it's just truly something I can't see myself going back to now.

+1

After mixing for 30 years, I dont have anything left to prove in terms of blending two slabs of vinyl. Been there, done that, and it isnt that difficult. I love the ability to truly take my focus off making the blend perfect, and instead focus on making the programming and overall set dynamics better.

My sets are more creative and since I started warping old school tracks in Ableton - so much more fun. Running Teddy Pendergrass or Marvin Gaye over a stripped down house groove with 3 loops running over top, and keeping it all locked up tight is a blast. Totally loving TSP.

antFastic
02-13-2012, 12:50 PM
I think Traktor is awesome software but I went the Serato route initially just because I preferred the layout. I didn't really think I would be bothered about the MIDI functionality at the time, but now I do wish that Serato would do something with SSL to bring the MIDI capability up to scratch, and give us a little more flexibility. It's just not possible to run SSL without an external mixer and sometimes this flexibility would come in handy. This is the only thing that makes me sometimes wish I had Traktor.

But nevertheless I do still love SSL and I think I would still choose it today, partly because I am familiar with it and love it and partly because I also have Ableton which opens up that cool looking Bridge feature, maybe one day I might work out how the hell I can use it! If it wasn't for Bridge I would probably consider switching, even though I'm not really capable of that next level stage at the moment; hats of to those who can mix many layers on the fly and build something that actually sounds good!

Does anyone have much experience of doing next level type of stuff with Bridge? How did it work out?

k4hn
02-13-2012, 01:24 PM
I prefer TP2 for most situations. Depending on what I'm doing I may use Ableton. I used Itch for a couple of years and while it's definitely a solid program, I find TP2 to be much more comprehensive and rewarding.

iammongo
02-13-2012, 01:34 PM
TP2 plus a Pioneer DJM-T1 for me. I thought that Pioneer had something great in it's rekordbox software at first but the stuff is too buggy for me to rely on. Trying to prep USB sticks for a wedding reception is an almost impossible task as well.

bumpyjonas
02-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Been A SSL user from the inception never looked back....the software has made life easier, I hated thumbing through cd's and vitual crates are are an added plus.

lourma
02-14-2012, 01:30 AM
Just a comment.
If you want a cleaner look in Traktor... Remove the mixer section. Change layout on deck A & B to essential. Remove coverart in left right corner.
You can remove filter/gain/key section to if you dont use it.
Remove sampledecks if you dont use it. Then Traktor is quite sleek too. http://www.native-instruments.com/uploads/pics/6_-_OtherNewFeatures-CLICK-ENLARGE_2011_01_26.png

Atomisk
02-14-2012, 02:36 AM
Right now I'm bouncing between Traktor Scratch Pro & CDs/USB

Lionman
02-15-2012, 05:25 AM
I like SSL myself. I don't need all the bells & whistles that certain other DVS's offer, I use the loops & multiple cue points but that's it. Keep it simple y'know?
I also like that it gives me everything I love about the tactile feeling/aesthetic of mixing with vinyl but all the advantages of using cdjs - no skipping, multiple cue points, ease of transport & so on.