PDA

View Full Version : Building Up the Crowd w/BPM

M!TCH
05-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Do you prefer to slowly build up and end your set at a higher BPM (~140) or do you do quite a bit of fluctuation? Sometimes I do a bell curve or what I call camel humps. I'm doing a set this weekend and I'm figuring out if I should end around 140 building from 128 or do one of my others.

Thoughts?

Era 7
05-31-2012, 12:55 PM
well it depends on what kind of trance you play. all i would play out is 135-140 anyway so i would play within these boundries and eventually exceeding them towards the top meaning going >140. so if i were you i'd build up throughout the set and not go up and down again. you can always control the mood with the choice of your tracks.

Sedna
05-31-2012, 01:42 PM
I like starting slow, 128 almost every time. Depending on the room/crowd depends on how fast I go. I played Pacha NYC's basement a few weeks ago and didn't go above 134 because it was a smaller room, so the dark moody Coldharbour vibe worked a lot better than the high BPMS. However, given the opportunity, I'll definitely run all the way from 128-140 (even higher sometimes if I wanna drop in a quick Psytrance banger... those psy tracks destroy the dancefloor in the late hours).

Here's my set from Pacha. It's downloadable. It's a bit more mainstream than what I usually play, but it's still solid =)

http://soundcloud.com/djsedna/sedna-live-pacha-nyc-5-10-2012

Edit: The first half hour of that set is cut off, but it was all 128. I think the tracks were something like-

Greg Downey pres. RICO - Afraid of the Dark
Zack Roth - Mata Leon
Rapha - Impressions
Cosmithex - Stone Cold

M!TCH
05-31-2012, 02:12 PM
well it depends on what kind of trance you play. all i would play out is 135-140 anyway so i would play within these boundries and eventually exceeding them towards the top meaning going >140. so if i were you i'd build up throughout the set and not go up and down again. you can always control the mood with the choice of your tracks.

I don't get much above 140 although I'd like to start throwing in some Psytrance :D I like to get people moving faster throughout the evening and then bring them back down a bit for a while before ending faster.

Thanks for the info Sedna, that's pretty much exactly what I do as well. I'll check out your set in a bit.