PDA

View Full Version : House Party Set Up.

Dwuxy
05-30-2012, 09:59 AM
Hey there, i've been an avid reader of the forums and thought it would be time to actually dig into DJ'ing and fulfil my passion. I'm an A Level student studying Music Technology and therefore find music at the pinnacle of what I do (hoping to find a career in the music production side in the near future). Within my corse I mainly produce music, but now I want to mix.

At house parties I go to I normally offer/get asked to do the music, and to be honest, it's great fun - but here's the problem.

When I do the music I run it from a 2011 Macbook Pro, and two average joe speakers, I simply have a basic DJ program and run them through that with little to no mixing. It's pretty much plug in and play, but the range of music I have is quite good.

I'm after a CDJ setup that will keep me going for a while, not just through my beginner days, i'll obviously expand my set up as time comes with better speakers/subs etc, but for now, i'm interested in what I could get for $900. Including 2CDJ's and a mixer.

Something that works best with a MacBook will be great as I have a 1TB hard drive with all my music on that links to the mac.

nevin
05-31-2012, 09:12 AM
Kontrol s4 from native instruments. It runs traktor and does it superbly, allowing you to access your vast laptop music collection. It is not a cdj though. For that money you won't get a cdj setup.

The smallest cdj setup will probably cost you around $2000 (2 x cdj 350 and a mixer). But in order to get your laptop running with it you will be looking at getting a traktor or serato audio setup to run with it ( add another $300 - $600). This will get you bottom of the line industry standard setup. True industry standard equipment is the cdj 2000s or cdj 900s but you can look those prices up yourself ;)

Midi controllers are cheaper, cdjs are industry standard. Your choice :)